Windows 10: "Check apps and files" disabled in Windows Security, but still cannot open the programs I...

Discus and support "Check apps and files" disabled in Windows Security, but still cannot open the programs I... in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I have been doing some coding puzzles in C. Since I have an expensive desktop, it feels a little silly pulling out my MacBook Air every time I want to... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by AntonioLeonti, Jul 14, 2020.

1. "Check apps and files" disabled in Windows Security, but still cannot open the programs I...

I have been doing some coding puzzles in C. Since I have an expensive desktop, it feels a little silly pulling out my MacBook Air every time I want to code. If only it were as easy to code on Windows as it is in my Mac.

I enjoy writing code in a text editor then compiling and running it in the command prompt. It's extremely simple, and I feel as if I have total control over my code. Except Windows does everything in its power to make this not simple. I can compile the code, but then I cannot run it. "Operation did not complete successfully because the file contains a virus or potentially unwanted software." This is what Windows says when I just double-click my executable file. Trying to run it directly from the command prompt yields, "The system cannot execute the specified program."

Awesome.

To be sure, I have already completely turned off the "Check apps and files" setting in Windows Security. Sometimes this seems to be enough, but then Windows will randomly decide to not let me use the code I write anymore. Often I will be happily coding along, compiling fine, and then out of nowhere Windows will decide it doesn't want to open my programs anymore. Absolutely infuriating.

Can anyone shed some light on why this is happening? And, more importantly, how can I make it permanently stop?

Antonio

:)

AntonioLeonti, Jul 14, 2020

2. WINDOWS 10 CANNOT ASSOCIATE FILES using OPEN WITH

Thanks but not a solution. I already looked at the choose more list....

AND does not work from file explorer right click, and the whole idea is NOT to have to open Photoshop first, then look for file to open.

ON the choose other app list- PHOTOSHOP does not appear at all though it is installed and shows in the programs, now called apps, list.

Shift click does nothing. Still not in the list- forces to choose a default from the ones I don't want.

Simply not in the list.

Still cannot add a file type to the list of types either. And if I did manage to add the file type, I can't find the Unreal program in apps list either.

SO the only workaround (and I suppose built in feature meant to work this way) is to PIN to a program and then open the file- and extra step and not an improvement IN MY OPINION.

Windows 10 has not ever worked with drag drop well- if I drag a file to a task bar icon it only pins it.

Cannot drag files into teamspeak file browser any more either. A whole OTHER annoyance in win 10.

Jolie Princess Katana, Jul 14, 2020
  3. esmorax Win User
    Windows 10 Office 365 cannot open files from: recent file list

Thanks for the tip! I followed all above steps.

So far I can open files from the Recent files list when I enter Word itself, however I still am unable to open any documents using the Word icon pinned to the taskbar:

"Check apps and files" disabled in Windows Security, but still cannot open the programs I... [​IMG]

-

esmorax, Jul 14, 2020
  4. "Check apps and files" disabled in Windows Security, but still cannot open the programs I...

App to open .c6e0ec and .e8d549184 files

Hi Hitkary,

It seems that there is no default app set to open these kind of files. Can you still recall the type of app or program that opens this kind of file?

For us to isolate this issue, we suggest assigning a default app or program to open it. Follow the steps below:

• Open Settings and click System.
    • Click Default apps.
    • At the bottom, click Choose default apps by file type.
    • Scroll down and look for the .e8d549184 file.
    • Once found, click the + sign on the right and select the app you want to use.

Once you've successfully set the default app, try opening the file again and let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Jul 14, 2020
Thema:

"Check apps and files" disabled in Windows Security, but still cannot open the programs I...

1. "Check apps and files" disabled in Windows Security, but still cannot open the programs I... - Similar Threads - Check apps files

2. Windows Apps in Program Files cannot be deleted

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Apps in Program Files cannot be deleted: I am making space in my hard drive to install different games specifically, the Halo: Master Chief Collection which is quite large. Even though I've deleted files, the storage is still very full. After using an external program to check the storage properly, it shows that in...
  3. Windows Apps in Program Files cannot be deleted

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Apps in Program Files cannot be deleted: I am making space in my hard drive to install different games specifically, the Halo: Master Chief Collection which is quite large. Even though I've deleted files, the storage is still very full. After using an external program to check the storage properly, it shows that in...
  4. Windows Apps in Program Files cannot be deleted

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. I CANNOT OPEN WINDOWS PROGRAM

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I CANNOT OPEN WINDOWS PROGRAM: I accidently remove some permissions in hkey_classes_root and then i cannot open windows program like file explorer, control panel, windows setting and it came a notification you may not have the appropriate permissions for acces the item, and the sound is error too, please...
  6. I CANNOT OPEN WINDOWS PROGRAM

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I CANNOT OPEN WINDOWS PROGRAM: I accidently remove some permissions in hkey_classes_root and then i cannot open windows program like file explorer, control panel, windows setting and it came a notification you may not have the appropriate permissions for acces the item, and the sound is error too, please...
  7. Check apps and files disabled

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Check apps and files disabled: I was looking aorund windows defender seeing that smart screen is disabled. [ATTACH] this is my personal computer, how do I fix it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/check-apps-and-files-disabled/9d139342-ce25-4bf3-a6e4-5ae30a362f83
  8. How do I disable Open File - security warnings?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I disable Open File - security warnings?: I want to disable security warnings when I open new files I download. I already know if I go to internet options in the control panel and change the security settings for different "zones", I can do that, but for some reason setting a custom level for these zones is greyed...
  9. Can't disable check apps and files on Windows Defender.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Can't disable check apps and files on Windows Defender.: Hello everyone, I have been getting a bunch of notices of unauthorized changes being blocked and then I needed to install software for school. So I figured out I could disable smartscreen in windows defender were it wouldn't block the program. I was able to install the...
  10. Disabling security programs

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Disabling security programs: TenForum's installation guide says 'you will need to disable or uninstall any 3rd party AV or security program' I'm a little concerned about this and just wanted to confirm if it's safe to do so. And does every security program need to be disabled - I have several, my AV plus...