Windows 10: check disk problem

Discus and support check disk problem in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have an HP P7-1010 pc on which I installed a 2nd HDD to run Windows 10 beta. Installation went fine and I am using the boot manager to boot between... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by everettg, Jul 8, 2015.

1. everettg Win User

check disk problem

I have an HP P7-1010 pc on which I installed a 2nd HDD to run Windows 10 beta. Installation went fine and I am using the boot manager to boot between the new drive with windows 10 and my old drive with windows 7. On the 2nd boot to windows 7 I get the message that windows has detected discrepancies on 1 of my drives and strongly suggests running check disk. It runs and turns up no problem and then boots to windows 7 hard drive and I get the BSOD. I try to restart windows 7 but it won't. I try several recovery methods and finally have success with restoring from a system image. I then reboot to use windows 10 and it works with no known problems. Later that same day I boot to windows 7 and windows runs check disk again. It finishes with no problems found and restarts and wants to run another check disk. At this point I shut down the pc and disconnect the new HDD with windows 10 beta and restart to see if windows 7 will start which it does with no message to run check disk. I have started windows 7 three times without a problem and now wonder what has the new HDD with windows 10 beta got to do with this problem. I would appreciate it if anyone has a suggestion.

:)

everettg, Jul 8, 2015

2. check disk utility

Could you try running it from the recovery environment?

Power on and off your computer three times

On the third time, your computer will boot into the Advanced Recovery environment

Click Advanced Options

Click Troubleshoot

Click Advanced Options

Click Command Prompt

At the same command prompt, type the following then hit Enter:

C:\> chkdsk /F /R /X C:

Andre Da Costa, Jul 8, 2015
  3. check disk utility

Hi,

This issue might have occurred when you do not have permissions to access the folder/ drive.

Do let us know the following to assist you better with this issue:

How exactly are you trying to run chkdsk command?

On which drive are you deploying chkdsk command?

Step 1: Try the following steps to take the ownership of the respective folder/ drive and check if it helps:

Right-click the C: Drive that you want to take ownership of, and then click Properties.

Click the Security tab, and then click OK on the Security message, if one appears.

Click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.

In the Name list, click your user name, Administrator if you are logged in as Administrator, or click the Administrators group.

If you want to take ownership of the contents of that folder, click to select the Replace owner on subcontainers and objects check box.

Click OK.

You may receive the following error message, where Folder is the name of the folder that you want to take ownership of: You do not have permission to read the co1ntents of directory Folder. Do you want to replace the directory permissions with permissions granting
    you Full Control? All permissions will be replaced if you press Yes.

7. Click Yes.

8. Click OK, and then reapply the permissions and security settings that you want for the folder and the folder contents.

For reference go through the below article:

"Access Denied" or other errors when you access or work with files and folders in Windows

Step 2: I suggest you to follow the below steps to perform check disk:

Press Windows + X keys on the keyboard, click Command Prompt (Admin).

In the Command Prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:

chkdsk /f

You may be asked whether to schedule this volume to be checked next time when you restarts (Y/N).

Press Y key on the keyboard and press Enter key.

Restart the computer and check.

Chkdsk disclaimer: The Chkdsk (Check Disc) scan will try to identify and repair bad sectors found on the hard drive. Any data present on these sectors might be lost in the process. The computer can also go into a no boot state. Proceed at your own risk.

Let me know if that helps.

Kind Regards,

Engr. Jamshed Muhammad

JamshedMuhammad Khan, Jul 8, 2015
  4. Charlie Win User

check disk problem

Charlie, Jul 8, 2015
  5. everettg Win User
    A huge thanks to Charlie who gave me the fix for windows 7 going into check disk on every boot. I followed the directions in the link and it performed exactly as the link stated. At least 6-7 boots to 7 now and working great. Now I can experiment with windows 10!

everettg, Jul 11, 2015
  6. Charlie Win User
    Thanks for sharing that you fixed your problem. Hope you enjoy testing Windows Ten. *Biggrin

Charlie, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

check disk problem

1. check disk problem - Similar Threads - check disk problem

2. Device Security > Disk Health > CHECK DISK Problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Device Security > Disk Health > CHECK DISK Problem: Hello Microsoft-Community,I had, several times ago 1-2 month ago, a problem that was displayed a warning sign instead a green sign in the taskbar under the symbol from the microsoft-security-center. In the security-center under 'Device Security' there appeared every start a...
  3. Device Security > Disk Health > CHECK DISK Problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Device Security > Disk Health > CHECK DISK Problem: Hello Microsoft-Community,I had, several times ago 1-2 month ago, a problem that was displayed a warning sign instead a green sign in the taskbar under the symbol from the microsoft-security-center. In the security-center under 'Device Security' there appeared every start a...
  4. Disk checking

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Disk checking: My system started saying to skip disk checking press any key and when I do it will just show blue and it will be loading for hours without displaying https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disk-checking/d77006d7-6f14-418d-99a0-452d1c47c30a
  5. DISK CHECK

DISK CHECK: Greetings! I had a problem with regards to disk checking, I want to run it because it says in my cmd "C: is dirty" so I want to run disk checking but then whenever I run it and it gets to the point where it says "scanning and repairing drive" after 2 seconds it skips and...
  6. Disk Checking

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Disk Checking: Hello! I Have a MSI Gaming Laptop and I have the problem that every time I start my laptop it automaticly starts the Fixing D. I do the Disk Checking and it starts over and over again for the past 2 days and the Press to skip doesnt show up. Is there a way to skip it...
  7. Disk checking

in Windows 10 Customization
    Disk checking: actually my pc was getting updated and it was written dont turn your pc off but due to sudden power cut it got off now its fine and updated but it asks for a disk checking whenever i switch on my computer i dont want the disk checking to be done what can i done it gives me...
  8. disk check

disk check: How long does it take for disk check to run. My laptop is prompting me to run it but I have not done so. I got my first BSOD last week. It restarted ok though Can anything go wrong from running it and cause it to crash? Is there any risk in letting it run overnight...
  9. disk check

disk check: I just started my pc and it checked drive c: automatically why so? without any reason https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disk-check/5d1a3dcb-7911-4e3d-a643-1c47614a03bf
  10. Check Disk

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Check Disk: My backup has failed and I have been advised to run Check Disc. How do I do this - I am using Windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/check-disk/3167d58e-97b4-438e-81d0-9789d99ec8a0