Windows 10: Check if Windows 10 last boot was from Fast Startup, Full Shutdown, or Hibernate

Discus and support Check if Windows 10 last boot was from Fast Startup, Full Shutdown, or Hibernate in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Windows 10 has three Startup Options, one is the Fast Startup (Hybrid), the Full Shutdown and the Hibernate mode. By default, the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinClub, Oct 26, 2019.

1. WinClub New Member

Check if Windows 10 last boot was from Fast Startup, Full Shutdown, or Hibernate

WinClub, Oct 26, 2019
  2. nutmix Win User

Windows 10 still hibernates on shutdown, even when "turn on fast startup" is disabled.

Windows hibernating when you ask it to shutdown is bad because:

• It is slower to hibernate than to shutdown/startup normall (I have 16GB ram and 3500MBs Samsung pro ssd.)
    • Apps are not shudown when you shutdown, and I don't want them running when I boot up.
    • It wears out SSDs. For slow mechanical HDs, hibernate is a good idea, but when most people have SSDs, with fast read speed, hibernate instead of shutdown is detremental. I have already worn out one SSD (cricial replaced it free of charge).

I have disabled "turn on fast startup" under left click on windows icon->power options->additional power settings->choose what the power buttons do.

this makes no difference -it still hibernates when you do a shutdown (via right clicking on windows icon -> shutdown or startup-> shutdown.

Also, every now and again, I see that windows re enables this feature without me wanting it. Unfortunately, disabling it now has no effect.

Any ideas how to rid the machine of the curse of shutdown not shutting down?

I know its hibernating as a) its very slow to shutdown and start up, and b) all my windows magically re-open when I start the laptop again. I never want this - I always want to start with a fresh desktop with no apps running.

Note, There are times when I do want to hibernate, so need the hibernate option form the window. E.g. if I just want to stop what I am doing temporarily, then resume later.

nutmix, Oct 26, 2019
  3. Abnormal shutdowns with Fast Startup enabled

Thanks Sumit - No, as you say, it's an Intel: i5 (8th gen - 8250U) with Intel UHD 620 graphics, 8 GB RAM and an SSD. I'll have a try with Dell as you suggest. These abnormal shutdowns are definitely not random - they happen on almost all attempts at a
    Fast Startup shutdown, though occasionally shutdown and subsequent startup do succeed. Oddly, full hibernate works correctly.

Michael_A_P, Oct 26, 2019
  4. NaokoNM Win User

Check if Windows 10 last boot was from Fast Startup, Full Shutdown, or Hibernate

Fast Startup and Hibernate uses cold boot instead resuming

I installed Windows 8.1 a month ago. I love the 8.1 fast startup feature which is more reliable than 10’s fast startup. But lately, I noticed that my laptop boot slower and I checked that it does cold boot instead hiberboot/fast startup. And hibernate ends
    up as cold boot as well, bruh

how can I fix this ?

note: fast starup is turned on and powercfg /h on

NaokoNM, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

1. Check if Windows 10 last boot was from Fast Startup, Full Shutdown, or Hibernate - Similar Threads - Check last boot

2. Shutdown won't with Fast Startup fix

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Shutdown won't with Fast Startup fix: After restart and modify regedit / group policy / power management I found this solution : https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/troubleshoot/windows-client/deployment/fast-startup-causes-system-hibernation-shutdown-failTo fix the bug of the Fast Startup just run this :Shutdown /s...
  3. Shutdown won't with Fast Startup fix

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Shutdown won't with Fast Startup fix: After restart and modify regedit / group policy / power management I found this solution : https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/troubleshoot/windows-client/deployment/fast-startup-causes-system-hibernation-shutdown-failTo fix the bug of the Fast Startup just run this :Shutdown /s...
  4. How to check the Shutdown and Startup Log in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to check the Shutdown and Startup Log in Windows 10: [ATTACH]Finding out the last time the PC was correctly turned off or booted up is the way to start for troubleshooting many Windows issues. Another […] This article How to check the Shutdown and Startup Log in Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  5. Windows 10 doesn't shutdown/hibernate with fast-startup enabled.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 doesn't shutdown/hibernate with fast-startup enabled.: I recently updated my windows 10 to v2004. But now whenever I try to shutdownwith fast startup enabled or hibernate, the screen goes blank and goes to the lock screen. I don't want to disable fast startup or do force shutdown everytime or reset/refresh my os install I think...
  6. Fast-startup and keyboard boot

in Windows 10 Support
    Fast-startup and keyboard boot: Normally I would use the sleep button or a shortcut(shutdown -s -t) to turn the desktop off. Lately though ive been using the Start button and shutting down and i've noticed that all it takes for me to turn on the computer is to hit any key. Now I know that Windows 10 uses...
  7. Fast startup causes shutdown problem

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Fast startup causes shutdown problem: Turning off Fast startup under Choose what pushing power button solves a shudown problem. Besides cache, what is Windows anniversary sending to the disk before it actually SHUTSDOWN? 64976
  8. hibernation and fast boot setup

in Windows 10 Support
    hibernation and fast boot setup: I'm set up with high performance under power plan and my hibernation isn't working right. I set it up for 2 mins and it went into hibernate, after then hitting a key on the keyboard it started back up in post and shut down completely? Is this supposed to bring you...
  9. Windows 10 "Fast Start" prevents full shutdown

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 "Fast Start" prevents full shutdown: Has anyone had a problem with a computer that will not shut down completely after Windows 10 update? I have one and discovered that if I turn off the fast start option it will shut down all the way. Curious if anyone experienced this and if there is a solution other than...
  10. Check if Last Boot from Hybrid, Full, or Hibernate in Windows 8 and 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Check if Last Boot from Hybrid, Full, or Hibernate in Windows 8 and 10: How to: Check if Last Boot from Hybrid, Full, or Hibernate in Windows 8 and 10 How to Check if Last Boot was from Fast Startup, Full Shutdown, or Hibernate [img] Information Users in Windows 8, Windows 8.1, and Windows 10 are able to perform a hybrid shutdown (fast...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 fast boot checker

2. check if hibernation is activated

3. how to check windows 10 last boot options