Windows 10: Check Internet downloads to make sure they're free from viruses?

Discus and support Check Internet downloads to make sure they're free from viruses? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi, Something Im curious about having recently read some posts about how people are using their PC to download and install programmes from the... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by sportsfan148, Aug 4, 2019.

1. Check Internet downloads to make sure they're free from viruses?

Hi,
    Something Im curious about having recently read some posts about how people are using their PC to download and install programmes from the internet.
    When a programmes/files are downloaded from the internet you always get the pop-up at the bottom of the screen asking if you want to Run or Save it.
    I generally select to Run the programme if I'm going to install it because once its installed I'm not going to need it again. My understanding is that it is put into a temporary folder and then automatically deleted by Windows shortly after it has been Run and the programme has been installed. So to my way of thinking there's no point in saving it and then running it from the Downloads folder because Im not going to need it again. Ive read posts where some people say that when downloading from the internet they always use the Save option instead of the Run option. They select to Save the file to the Downloads folder. Then they run a virus scan on the file to check that is free from viruses/malware first before they Run it. Is that necessary?
    I use the Edge browser and Windows Defender. I thought that Windows Defender real time protection automatically scans all downloads anyway to make sure they're safe and free from malware before you are able to Run the downloaded file.

:)

sportsfan148, Aug 4, 2019
  2. Moose Win User

Internet Downloads

Thanks all for the useful suggestions, i certainly can understand the idea of refreshing downloads. I wish Firefox had that little button lol. Now i'll try and download Warrock (a great FREE game) with download manager though (annoyingly) firefox is now downloading without buggering up!
    I just did a few spyware scans which though didn't stop the probs it probably did stop all thoses bloody programs from using the internet and slowing it down.

Moose, Aug 4, 2019
  3. simrick Win User
    my mozilla browser is slow suggested I check windows for viruses

Your browser suggested you check for viruses? That was not your browser - it wouldn't do that.
    You might want to download and run ADWCleaner.

simrick, Aug 4, 2019
  4. Check Internet downloads to make sure they're free from viruses?

Question on viruses and documents

Once the virus is removed just use a reputable antivirus program like AVG. I suggest AVG because it does check usb devices for viruses automatically once you stick the usb drive into the usb port.

EastCoasthandle, Aug 4, 2019
Thema:

Check Internet downloads to make sure they're free from viruses?

1. Check Internet downloads to make sure they're free from viruses? - Similar Threads - Check Internet downloads

2. How to make sure my computer is 100% malware free?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to make sure my computer is 100% malware free?: Hi, about a few weeks ago, my computer was infected with malware. Since then, almost every night someone is repeatedly trying to access each personal account like Gmail, Facebook, rockstar social club, Spotify etc. I have lost my Facebook account in the initial attack....
  3. How to make sure my computer is 100% malware free?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to make sure my computer is 100% malware free?: Hi, about a few weeks ago, my computer was infected with malware. Since then, almost every night someone is repeatedly trying to access each personal account like Gmail, Facebook, rockstar social club, Spotify etc. I have lost my Facebook account in the initial attack....
  4. Is my pc free from this virus?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is my pc free from this virus?: Yesterday, I somehow got a trojan virus Trojan:Win32/Doplik. Windows Defender quarantined it for me and i chose the action to remove it duh, but I still have this feeling that it isn't still free from that malware. Though I want to get a second opinion here and want anyone...
  5. Is my pc free from this virus?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is my pc free from this virus?: Yesterday, I somehow got a trojan virus Trojan:Win32/Doplik. Windows Defender quarantined it for me and i chose the action to remove it duh, but I still have this feeling that it isn't still free from that malware. Though I want to get a second opinion here and want anyone...
  6. How to check if a driver you downloaded from the internet is a virus?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to check if a driver you downloaded from the internet is a virus?: So I recently downloaded some drivers off the web to get my wii remote to connect to my computer. Right after I downloaded them I felt stupid because I probably should have looked to see if they were a virus. So I was wondering if there is a way to virus scan your drivers....
  7. We couldn't check for updates, because you aren't connected to the Internet. Make sure you...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    We couldn't check for updates, because you aren't connected to the Internet. Make sure you...: Hello guys. I have this problem whenever I try to check for updates: "We couldn't check for updates, because you aren't connected to the Internet. Make sure you have a cellular data or Wi-Fi connection and try again." I've since figured out the problem and now it lets me...
  8. We couldn't check for updates, because you aren't connected to the Internet. Make sure you...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    We couldn't check for updates, because you aren't connected to the Internet. Make sure you...: After upgrading to version 1809, I am unable to get next update using dial up broadband connection. I have 8mbps connection. Everytime I check for updates, I get the following message " We couldn't check for updates, because you aren't connected to the Internet. Make sure you...
  9. We couldn't check for updates, because you aren't connected to the Internet. Make sure you...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    We couldn't check for updates, because you aren't connected to the Internet. Make sure you...: After a recent Windows update, I have been receiving the following error message when trying to check Windows for updates. "We couldn't check for updates, because you aren't connected to the Internet. Make sure you have a cellular data or Wi-Fi connection and try again."...
  10. Removing live tiles (?) Not sure what they're called from Desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    Removing live tiles (?) Not sure what they're called from Desktop: I'm transitioning to a PC after using a Macbook Pro for many years. Tonight my desktop starting showing these live tiles (?), I'm not certain what they're called, on the left of my screen. I'd rather not see them and simply see my desktop. It seems like it's also making my...