Windows 10: "Check Online for Updates from Windows Update" option disappears sometimes.

Discus and support "Check Online for Updates from Windows Update" option disappears sometimes. in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I'm working with PC's on a domain with WSUS, but sometimes I want to bypass WSUS and check for updates from Windows Update (like if there are errors... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/LotoLuminary, Feb 19, 2020.

1. "Check Online for Updates from Windows Update" option disappears sometimes.

I'm working with PC's on a domain with WSUS, but sometimes I want to bypass WSUS and check for updates from Windows Update (like if there are errors downloading from WSUS). However, whenever there are any errors with the standard "Check for Updates" option, the "Check online..." option disappears for some seemingly arbitrary amount of time, until the Error message goes away on the update window.

This has been frustrating me lately. Is there any way to force Windows to update online via Microsoft Update (like with a command), or to clear out the error message in the update window?

Thanks in advance!

submitted by /u/LotoLuminary
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/LotoLuminary, Feb 19, 2020
  2. AsRock Win User

Windows Updates failed to instal

I'm not sure how differant XP media center Edition is but you could clear the history \ cache if these folders are there.

Step 1 Register DLL files.

=================

By trying this step, we can check if the update engines are working properly.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

2. Click Start and Run, type "Regsvr32 atl.dll" (without quotes) in the Open box and click OK.

Note: There is a space between regsvr32 and atl.dll

3. Similarly, one by one, register the files listed below:

Regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Regsvr32 wuapi.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

Regsvr32 wups2.dll

Regsvr32 wucltui.dll

Regsvr32 wups.dll

Regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Regsvr32 qmgr.dll

Regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

Regsvr32 jscript.dll

Note: If you encounter errors while registering any of these files then skip that file and continue with the next one.

If the issue persists, let's move on to the steps below to verify Windows Update services and temporary folders.

Step 2 Verify the relevant Windows Update services.

=========================================

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".

3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.

6. Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

7. Please repeat the above steps with the other services:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Event Log

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Note: Event log service is enabled on all of the hardware profiles; this service does not have an option to enable or disable on certain hardware profile.

If it still does not help, let's proceed to step 3.

Step 3 Reload the Update temporary folders.

===================================

One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update is containing corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.

4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

Please test the Windows Update website and let me know the result. If the issue persists, to clarify the issue and provide more accurate troubleshooting steps, please assist me in collecting the following information.

AsRock, Feb 19, 2020
  3. jbailey8 Win User
    HyperSLI (Enabling SLI on non-sli motherboards)

To turn off windows updates in windows 7 follow these steps:

Click the start button, in the search box type in 'windows updates', click on 'windows update'
    in the search results list, in the left side of the windows update window click 'change settings'
    then in the option bar select 'Never check for updates'.

jbailey8, Feb 19, 2020
  4. Naki Win User

"Check Online for Updates from Windows Update" option disappears sometimes.

Minor suggestion for Check for updates

No, I know that. Exactly where I suggest this to be changed, please note.
    Sorry for not being clear.

The Check for updates small window currently does not show what I ask to be added - program version. Please consider adding this. Many other programs have this, so I suggest for GPU-Z to have it too.

Thema:

"Check Online for Updates from Windows Update" option disappears sometimes.

1. "Check Online for Updates from Windows Update" option disappears sometimes. - Similar Threads - Check Online Updates

2. Will “Check for online updates” affect the system like optional updates? in windows 11?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Will “Check for online updates” affect the system like optional updates? in windows 11?: In general WSUS will handle the updates but if we check the “ check for online updates” , will it break the system like optional updates? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/will-check-for-online-updates-affect-the-system/a272183f-0171-40cc-b277-70399d8f3a42
  3. Will “Check for online updates” affect the system like optional updates? in windows 11?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Will “Check for online updates” affect the system like optional updates? in windows 11?: In general WSUS will handle the updates but if we check the “ check for online updates” , will it break the system like optional updates? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/will-check-for-online-updates-affect-the-system/a272183f-0171-40cc-b277-70399d8f3a42
  4. Button/Shortcut to Trigger Check online for updates from Microsoft Update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Button/Shortcut to Trigger Check online for updates from Microsoft Update: Dear community,I would like to create a button or a shortcut that would automatically trigger: Settings > Update & Security > Check online for updates from Microsoft UpdateWhat I could find online is to create a shortcut to ms-settings:windowsupdate but this only opens the...
  5. Wifi option Just disappeared in Update

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Wifi option Just disappeared in Update: Pls help, my wifi option just disappeared after the latest update of windows, and it seem to be a driver problem, idk how this happened, but i really need help right now!, I tried uninstalling the driver and using the scan for hardware changes option to reinstall the default...
  6. Option to enable bluetooth disappears sometimes

in Windows 10 Customization
    Option to enable bluetooth disappears sometimes: Sometime after starting the laptop the option to turn on bluetooth is missing. I need to restart the laptop and the bluetooth option appears again. I tried updating drivers but that also doesn't help....
  7. Check for Updates button has disappeared

Check for Updates button has disappeared: When my Win 10 PC locks up or slows to a crawl, it means Windows Update is trying to do something but failing. In the past, if I did a manual update, that would fix the problem, but now the Check for Updates button has been taken away in the last update. So how can I do a...
  8. After updating, hibernate option disappeared

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    After updating, hibernate option disappeared: I updated my PC to the last version and when I turned my PC on the next day I couldn't find Hibernate the system option in the power menu. I didn’t manage to reinsert the hibernate button through Control Panel. So I think that this option isn’t available. Why?...
  9. "Check for Updates" option is greyed out

"Check for Updates" option is greyed out: Hi ,I am using Windows 10 Pro and the ""Check for Updates" option is greyed out . In the past I had changed some registry and group policy settings to stop windows update but now I want to update windows and forgot which settings I've changed. Is there anyway to roll back...
  10. Is there a run command to check for Windows Updates online?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Is there a run command to check for Windows Updates online?: I'm using the run command as below (1st pic), but I get a server timeout error, but if I go to the settings screen there is an option to "Check online for updates from Microsoft Update." (2nd pic). Is there a run command for this one since it works through settings? I use the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cant check online for windows updates

2. windows 10 Search online for Updates disapeared

3. check online for windows update is greyed out

4. check online for updates option disappears