Windows 10: Check to see if a computer has been previously upgraded to Windows 10

Discus and support Check to see if a computer has been previously upgraded to Windows 10 in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi all I have a burning question that I have not been able to find an answer to... How do I find out if a computer has been previously upgraded... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by thecritter99, Feb 27, 2017.

1. Check to see if a computer has been previously upgraded to Windows 10

Hi all

I have a burning question that I have not been able to find an answer to...

How do I find out if a computer has been previously upgraded to Windows 10 from 7/8/8.1 and has a digital licence (after it has been restored to the original OS)?

I've been in touch with Microsoft and their support is less than convincing.

(Long story short, I have bought a job lot of laptops that have been restored to factory settings. Before I sell them on, it would be nice to have them running on Windows 10 for free (if they were upgraded by the original owners and subsequently have a digital licence, requiring no product key.) I don't want to install Windows 10 from scratch to find out I cannot activate it and I have deleted the old Windows OS installation and recovery partition).

Thanks!

:)

thecritter99, Feb 27, 2017
  2. Kaedon_ Win User

how do I check to see if my computer has been hacked

Hi, Lornalman

Did you recently installed a program in your PC?

Regards,

Kaedon

Kaedon_, Feb 27, 2017
  3. how do I check to see if my computer has been hacked

LornaInman, Feb 27, 2017
  4. Bree New Member

Check to see if a computer has been previously upgraded to Windows 10

Welcome to TenForums @thecritter99

You could swap out the hard drive for a blank one and try a clean install on that. However, recent reports are that MS is still activating upgrades for free, despite the offer officially having ended. For how much longer is anyone's guess...

5. Kyhi Win User
    since any digital license is stored on MS activation server - one would have to install windows 10

6. hawkman Win User
    hawkman, Feb 27, 2017
  7. Thanks both for your replies. Am I right in thinking the licenses are embedded in the system BIOS for activation/verification purposes (and then validated with the activation server?) It would be very useful to detect if a digital licence is embedded in the BIOS's of my machines, although I suspect this is not possible!

8. Check to see if a computer has been previously upgraded to Windows 10

Roy, MASSIVE thanks for that - I think that is what I am after. I guess I am looking for an OEM key? Will play around with it and see if I can work out if the OEM keys are Windows 10 related.

9. Bree New Member
    More useful info here...

ShowKeyPlus

10. Kyhi Win User
    showkey will show oem key or oem marker - not prior windows 10 activation, if windows 10 removed
    Unless it came with windows 10

11. Makes perfect sense. I guess Microsoft are the only ones who possess such information. Am I right?

(Unless of course there is some way of seeking out the digital licence from the BIOS or whatever a Windows 10 upgrade leaves behind that the Microsoft activation server detects)

12. Kyhi Win User
    MS uses a Hardware Hash for the PC to record activation
    Nothing to find on PC itself - only OEM marker, put there by OEM

what you looking for is just NOT there

13. Check to see if a computer has been previously upgraded to Windows 10

Understood. Thanks for your reply (and the one on the other thread).

14. Kyhi Win User
    windows 8 and up - supports booting from VHD
    create a windows 10 VHD on n external HDD and make the external HDD bootable..

Boot from the ExHDD and activate windows 10 - if the activation goes through > then you can safetly upgrade that PC's HDD

15. NavyLCDR New Member
    If the computer has a MS COA (Certificate of Authenticity) sticker on it with a Windows 7 product key, you should still be able to activate a matching Windows 10 on that computer by changing the product key to the one on the COA. If there is a Windows 8 product key stored in BIOS, the Windows 10 installation should pick that up automatically and activate automatically.

Again, we don't know when MS is going to turn off this capability, but they have not yet.

NavyLCDR, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Check to see if a computer has been previously upgraded to Windows 10

1. Check to see if a computer has been previously upgraded to Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Check computer has

2. Computer won’t turn on but power source has been checked

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer won’t turn on but power source has been checked: My Dell computer won’t turn start. The power source for computer, monitor, mouse and keyboard have all been checked. I saw others advise doing Windows Logo + R to run a command, but my system is not responding to anything and screen is black. Any suggestions to force the turn...
  3. Computer won’t turn on but power source has been checked

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Computer won’t turn on but power source has been checked: My Dell computer won’t turn start. The power source for computer, monitor, mouse and keyboard have all been checked. I saw others advise doing Windows Logo + R to run a command, but my system is not responding to anything and screen is black. Any suggestions to force the turn...
  4. Computer won’t turn on but power source has been checked

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Blue Screen issue on a brand new computer, driver has been checked, NVME & SSD has been...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Blue Screen issue on a brand new computer, driver has been checked, NVME & SSD has been...: Dear All, Hope all is well and safe, I am seeking guidance and help from this forum in relation to BSOD Issue that I am facing right now. Details as per below I recently purchased a brand new custom computer with the following spec less than 1 week ago Gigabyte Aorus...
  6. How to check if there has been unauthorised access to my computer

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How to check if there has been unauthorised access to my computer: I use Win 10 on a Toshiba laptop. Just before Christmas 2019 my cellphone was hijacked by a criminal who persuaded my provider to cancel my SIM and issue another to him. Within 2 hours $170,000 had been stolen from my bank accounts. I immediately changed all my passwords and...
  7. Reinstalling windows 10 on a PC where windows 10 has previously been installed on a...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Reinstalling windows 10 on a PC where windows 10 has previously been installed on a...: So, back when the windows 10 upgrade was free, I upgraded a version of windows 7 on my pc to windows 10. Back then I wasn't quite fond of windows 10 so I ended up deleting the partition again. I've been using windows 10 on my laptop for a while now, and quite like it, so now...
  8. Computer has been reboot from a bug check

Computer has been reboot from a bug check: [img] [img] Hi, I am having weird problem is that windows reboot randomly and I am a pc expert but this one I am not able to find out what cause this problem. According to google search, I found that its a hardware problem, but what exactly problem is that is not I have...
  9. Computer has been reboot from a bug check

Computer has been reboot from a bug check: Hi, I having weird problem is that Pc restart randomly and I cant find what cause this problem. Online research show that its hardware problem but idk which one even though I am pc expert thx 107124
  10. Has this computer ever been upgraded to Win 10?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Has this computer ever been upgraded to Win 10?: I know this is going to sound pretty dorky, but this computer has not been used much over the past year. Prior to expiration of the free upgrade to 10, I think I upgraded this computer, but was accustomed to using 8.1 and so reverted after the upgrade. I now want to move...