Windows 10: Check what credentials is windows sending when accessing an SMB share?

Discus and support Check what credentials is windows sending when accessing an SMB share? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, I have a synology unit that is added to the microsoft AD as are all the PCs that access that unit. all the users are members of an AD group that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by AAAtech, Jan 21, 2020.

1. AAAtech Win User

Check what credentials is windows sending when accessing an SMB share?

Hi,

I have a synology unit that is added to the microsoft AD as are all the PCs that access that unit. all the users are members of an AD group that has read/write permissions on a particular folder. When a user tries to access that folder, they get a message "windows cannot access..... you do not have permission....."

When i add that user's local synology account to the folder, they can access the folder. could it be that the user's computer is trying to access the folder using their local synology account credentials and not the AD credentials? is there a way to check what credentials windows is sending to access the synology SMB share?

Thanks,

Albert

:)

AAAtech, Jan 21, 2020
  2. Arsenal Win User

Win 10 PC accessing a Win 10 Everyone share prompted for credentials

I have a new Windows 10 Home computer and I've selected a folder and shared it. I've added Everyone to the Share Permissions list with Full Control.

Check what credentials is windows sending when accessing an SMB share? [​IMG]

I've selected "Turn off password protected sharing" in the Advance Sharing Center.

Check what credentials is windows sending when accessing an SMB share? [​IMG]

When I try to access the share with a Windows 7 laptop in the home it connects right away without a prompt for credentials. When I try to access the share from another Windows 10 device (Surface) there is a prompt for credentials and I am unable to access the shared folder. There are no common account names between machines on my home network.

On the Windows 10 machine which is trying to connect I have run Net use * /DELETE and removed all Windows Credentials using the Credentials Manager then rebooted both machines a few times. Still though the Windows 7 machine can access the share with no credentials and the Windows 10 machine can't access it at all.

My goal is to get the share working for the Windows 10 machine as it works for the Windows 7. Full access, no prompt for credentials. I've workaround steps that will provide access so that type of information isn't needed.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post and any help would be most appreciated.

Arsenal, Jan 21, 2020
  3. Scheduled tasks run with elevated privileges can't access stored Windows credentials

It seems that after Creators update scheduled tasks run with elevated privileges ('run with highest privileges' option) can't access stored Windows credentials. Is that a bug or an intentional change and is there a recommended workaround?

Here's one way to reproduce the behaviour:

• Start Credential Manger and add some Windows share credentials.
    • In a console window type 'cmdkey /list', which should list the added credentials
    • Create a task in a task manager:
      • Trigger: on user logon
      • Action: run cmd.exe
      • Tick the 'run with highest privileges' option
    • Reboot the machine and log in
    • In the console window (let's call it 'console 1') opened from the scheduled task type 'cmdkey /list'. This most likely won't display the credentials added in step 1 and properly listed in step 2. ->
      This looks like a bug
    • Now, without closing 'console 1' open another console window as an administrator (let's call it 'console 2') and type 'cmdkey /list'. This will properly list credentials added in step 1.
    • Switch to 'console 1' and type 'cmdkey /list' again. This time the credentials are listed properly, unlike in step 5. It looks like an access to Windows credentials was somehow 'unlocked' by step 6.

MarcinMrowiec, Jan 21, 2020
  4. Check what credentials is windows sending when accessing an SMB share?

Win 10 PC accessing a Win 10 Everyone share prompted for credentials

Here is the solution for this issue :

1 Right click on the folder that you want to share
    2. Go to Properties
    3. Go to Security Tab then click Edit on group and usernames
    4. Click Add and on the user and group window click advance
    5. Click Find Now and look for Everyone on the Search results, Click OK to close the window and OK again
    6. Give the control you need for Everyone and click "OK"

That should make that folder accessible without prompting for windows credentials Check what credentials is windows sending when accessing an SMB share? :)

jeremygoce, Jan 21, 2020
Thema:

Check what credentials is windows sending when accessing an SMB share?

1. Check what credentials is windows sending when accessing an SMB share? - Similar Threads - Check credentials sending

2. Can't connect to SMB share, Windows cannot access

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't connect to SMB share, Windows cannot access: I use my NAS for backups truenas, with an SMB share. I reset my PC recently and added it like normal. Worked fine. However, after a day it stopped working and I was unable to connect to it. Now when I try to connect to it I get this:It works fine on my laptop^ Before the...
  3. Can't connect to SMB share, Windows cannot access

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't connect to SMB share, Windows cannot access: I use my NAS for backups truenas, with an SMB share. I reset my PC recently and added it like normal. Worked fine. However, after a day it stopped working and I was unable to connect to it. Now when I try to connect to it I get this:It works fine on my laptop^ Before the...
  4. Can't connect to SMB share, Windows cannot access

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Network Credential does not prompt when accessing shared folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Network Credential does not prompt when accessing shared folder: Hi,I have a Windows Server 2019 Standard running as a Workgroup no domain or AD as a file sharing server. Local user account users were created and assign to different shared folder. When user try to access the folders, the Windows Network Credentials will be prompt the user...
  6. Safety of Login credentials for SMB...

Safety of Login credentials for SMB...: How safe is it to enter login credentials in an app to allow it access to network drives? I use multiple apps on Android & iOS to connect to my Windows laptop over SMB. This requires me to provide the app with my Windows Login Credentials, which is basically my Microsoft...
  7. SMB share credentials

SMB share credentials: Hi, I have a synology unit that is added to the microsoft AD as are all the PCs that access that unit. all the users are members of an AD group that has read/write permissions on a particular folder. When a user tries to access that folder, they get a message "windows...
  8. Unable to access SMB file sharing

Unable to access SMB file sharing: Hi, While I'm administrator on 2 computers PC1 and PC2, both are joined to a Windows domain: From PC1, I cannot see shared folders on PC2. Once, I log on PC1 as a normal user, I can properly see the shared folder. Please advise Thanks...
  9. Printer Sharing and Network credential access

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Printer Sharing and Network credential access: Hello: I have two desktops running Windows 10. One is a new one and I would like to be able to print from the USB connected printer on the other desktop. Problem is when I go to access my other computer which I can see, it pops up asking for security credentials. I really...
  10. Cannot access SMB shares via Windows VPN

Cannot access SMB shares via Windows VPN: Hi, I have set up a VPN on my server at home. I am not using a domain. I can ping IP's on the network I am connected to and access things like my router using a local IP address. I can't however access any of my mapped drives. I've tried allowing all SMB rules in...