Windows 10: Checking for Updates during Windows 10 upgrade

Discus and support Checking for Updates during Windows 10 upgrade in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I am upgrading a Windows 7 PC to Windows 10. It downloaded and verified but has been "checking for updates" for over 3 hours. Is this normal?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by EricSouza1, Jun 29, 2020.

1. Checking for Updates during Windows 10 upgrade

I am upgrading a Windows 7 PC to Windows 10. It downloaded and verified but has been "checking for updates" for over 3 hours. Is this normal?

:)

EricSouza1, Jun 29, 2020
  2. Nordic Win User

Windows 10 upgrade problem, no input accepted

I really hate having to come here and ask for help, but I really am stumped. It hurts my geek pride. I have a PC with fairly modern hardware in it. It has a p8p67 pro in it. I have tried upgrading windows 10 on it twice now. Both times I have had the same result.

After windows finishes upgrading it goes to the log in/set up screen. I can't do anything. No keyboard or mouse input is accepted.

I will list some, or hopefully all, of the troubleshooting steps I have tried:
    • Move keyboard and mouse to different USB ports.
    • Try different keyboard or mouse.
    • Restart computer, repeatedly.
    • Google for related issues.
    • Update Bios, because why not.
    • Create boot media and revert to windows 7.
    The windows 10 system restore boot media works fine with keyboard and mouse. All USB ports work in windows 7. I don't know what is wrong. I suspect that windows 10 is lacking a driver of some sort, but since the computer accepts no input I have no way of checking for which driver let alone installing it.

Please help me figure this out. If I have to revert back to windows 7 again, I am not going to get it upgraded to windows 10. Thank you in advanced.

Nordic, Jun 29, 2020
  3. MrGenius Win User
    Microsoft to make Windows 10 updates mandatory

Well, at the moment at least, you can choose to defer upgrades. Under Settings > Windows Updates > Advanced options you need to check the box labeled "Defer upgrades". What does that do? Good question. The answer I've found might illuminate it to a degree.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/defer-upgrades-in-windows-10

I hear this only applies to Pro and Enterprise editions. But I can't verify that.

MrGenius, Jun 29, 2020
  4. Mussels Win User

Checking for Updates during Windows 10 upgrade

Windows 10 upgrade problem, no input accepted

i've seen this when the stock USB drivers went kaput. Only ever seen it once - i used a PCI USB 2.0 card and connected the mouse and keyboard to that, and manually updated the USB 2/USB 3 drivers.

Mussels, Jun 29, 2020
Thema:

Checking for Updates during Windows 10 upgrade

1. Checking for Updates during Windows 10 upgrade - Similar Threads - Checking Updates during

2. Upgrade to Windows 11 during a config update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Upgrade to Windows 11 during a config update: Hi everyone,I am planning a config upgrade New CPU and motherboard, and a new SSD for windows, and as I am still running windows 10, I would like to update towards windows 11 at the same time. I would like to avoid purchasing windows again as I have it already. I just want to...
  3. How to check which build of windows 11 will be installed during upgrade?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to check which build of windows 11 will be installed during upgrade?: I want to upgrade my OS from windows 10 to 11, but only if it would be the 22H2 Version, which fixed the most of issues which were throwing me off.How to check which build of windows 11 is going to be installed?...
  4. How to check which build of windows 11 will be installed during upgrade?

How to check which build of windows 11 will be installed during upgrade?: I want to upgrade my OS from windows 10 to 11, but only if it would be the 22H2 Version, which fixed the most of issues which were throwing me off.How to check which build of windows 11 is going to be installed?...
  5. How to check which build of windows 11 will be installed during upgrade?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to check which build of windows 11 will be installed during upgrade?: I want to upgrade my OS from Windows 10 to 11, but only if it would be the 22H2 Version, which fixed the most of issues which were throwing me off.How to check which build of windows 11 is going to be installed?...
  6. How to check which build of windows 11 will be installed during upgrade?

How to check which build of windows 11 will be installed during upgrade?: I want to upgrade my OS from Windows 10 to 11, but only if it would be the 22H2 Version, which fixed the most of issues which were throwing me off.How to check which build of windows 11 is going to be installed?...
  7. Windows 10 checked for updates during active hours...

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 checked for updates during active hours...: I have my Change Active Hours set from 8am to 11pm and the "Automatically adjust active hours for this device based on activity" is off. Why would Windows check for updates at 10:25am today?!? You're up to date. Last Checked: Today, 10:25am Should I turn that Automatically...
  8. Upgrade hung on "Checking for Updates

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade hung on "Checking for Updates: 3 year old Asus Desktop, Windows 8.1 installed. My customer did a refresh and obviously lost all programs and Apps. Data OK. Suggested upgrading to 10 while I had it? OKed From the Media Creation Toll site, tried both Upgrading this PC and using a created USB with same...
  9. Check for updates only during system idle?

Check for updates only during system idle?: Is there a way to program Windows to do this? The checking for updates (not to speak of actually downloading and installing them) can really slow down work on the computer. 54737
  10. Windows updated by checking the defer upgrades

Windows updated by checking the defer upgrades: I was trying to update to anniversary update but it's not updating until i checked the defer upgrade the update works now, so why is it defer upgrades worked opposite? 94358