Windows 10: Checking for updates taking ages

Discus and support Checking for updates taking ages in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Win 10 machine. Got it yesterday, it was checking for updates fine last night. In this evening and I thought I'd do a manual check but it's been... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Scottyboy99, Oct 29, 2015.

1. Checking for updates taking ages

Win 10 machine. Got it yesterday, it was checking for updates fine last night. In this evening and I thought I'd do a manual check but it's been running as checking for updates about 15 mins now. Is this normal. There is no way to cancel the check and kick it back off acain

:)

Scottyboy99, Oct 29, 2015

2. Update taking ages

I'm not happy with the amount of time the 'Anniversary Update' has taken to install. Percentage count up and accompanying annoying spinning dots repeated four times over three hours. Had to reinstall this update due to a corrupt file in the previous one.

Pretty rubbish really.

The dots are still spinning by the way.

Mike Reynard, Oct 29, 2015
  3. Windows phone

Windows preview for 8.1 update 1. in the update phone menu it just keeps saying checking for updates it dont seem to be doing anything its taking ages

MorganRich-Drury, Oct 29, 2015
  4. Nubble Win User

Checking for updates taking ages

Yes, it's normal. Well, it is for me at times. Usually when it runs that long it will eventually timeout with an error code. Speculation is that MS servers are busy or there are other network anomalies. I usually have to wait a few hours and then the updates run as you would expect. I often use Resource Manager to see if Windows Update (svchost - netsvcs) has any network activity.

Nubble, Oct 29, 2015
  5. My Windows 10 update got stuck this afternoon while downloading/installing, i did the following to reset Windows Update;

Open a CMD prompt with administrator privileges

Use the commands below to stop the update service:

Now got to 'C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution' and delete all files within this folder.

Now use the following commands to start the update service again;

Reboot your PC and search for new updates.

My Windows Update immediately found updates and installed them without any problem Checking for updates taking ages :)

NickyNails, Oct 30, 2015
  6. You could download my file and run it as admin, it will do what is said above, just a little easier. *Nerd

TairikuOkami, Oct 30, 2015
  7. Nice! I'm going to grab this aswell Checking for updates taking ages :)

NickyNails, Oct 30, 2015
  8. gayer14 Win User

I tried to download your little file but was refused for 'invalid user name or password?

gayer14, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Checking for updates taking ages - Similar Threads - Checking updates taking

2. Slower Restart takes ages

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Slower Restart takes ages: I am using Windows 11Pro, Version : 21H2. Earlier when I was using Windows 10Pro, Restarting my system takes only 30-60 secs. max but now it takes at least 20 minutes minimum. I want to fix this because to install some updates or any other things only required restart. Even...
  3. Photos taking ages to download

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Photos taking ages to download: While on the internet, I try to save an image by right-clicking on it. When the menu appears, I left-click "save image as". Then it takes about 6 seconds for the image to download. While it's downloading my browser freezes and stops freezing when the image has downloaded. It...
  4. Photos taking ages to download

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Photos taking ages to download: While on the internet, I try to save an image by right-clicking on it. When the menu appears, I left-click "save image as". Then it takes about 6 seconds for the image to download. While it's downloading my browser freezes and stops freezing when the image has downloaded. It...
  5. Photos taking ages to download

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  6. windows taking ages to boot.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    windows taking ages to boot.: i have had this problem for about a day now. whenever i boot onto windows its fine, i enter in my password. it seems to take a bit longer than usual to load on (now about 30 seconds compared to 5). and, when it finally gets in, its just a grey screen for 20 minutes, then all...
  7. Windows Update page takes AGES to load.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Update page takes AGES to load.: Okay, I've HAD it! Today I tried updating my computer to the 20H2 version because of a game I'm playing at the moment that's being glitchy. But tried turning it off for a couple seconds and then back again. Tried pausing it for 7 days and continuing it back again, but the...
  8. Checking for updates takes forever

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Checking for updates takes forever: It actually does not check for updates in Windows 10, why? 148176
  9. Windows Update Cleanup taking ages

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows Update Cleanup taking ages: I clicked the button to include Windows Update Cleanup to recover a few Gb of HD space. It's been going for about 4hrs so far with seemingly little signs of progress. Could I cancel and forget about it or let the Cleanup run its course? 115723
  10. W10TP Takes ages to install

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    W10TP Takes ages to install: Since I have a 75/75 connection, I thought I'd install it but it takes ages with me only getting 80 to 150 KB/second. Why is this? 3799

Users found this page by searching for:

1. checking for updates taking ages

2. checking for windows updates taking ages