Windows 10: Checking that my files are not corrupt

Discus and support Checking that my files are not corrupt in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; When I make a backup of my USB stick folder that has a few thousand personal files in it, I look at the backup I have just made and look at the folder... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Matt_219, Aug 10, 2022.

1. Matt_219 Win User

Checking that my files are not corrupt

When I make a backup of my USB stick folder that has a few thousand personal files in it, I look at the backup I have just made and look at the folder properties and make sure the backup folder size is identical in bytes as to the original. Is this a good way to make sure the files copied over correctly? Would Windows notice if a file size is different during copying from the displayed file size in properties, e.g. due to the file being corrupt, and update the file size in properties, or would Windows only realise the different file size and update the properties after the file is opened? Reas

:)

Matt_219, Aug 10, 2022

2. Corrupted file RAR

If the archive has been created using WinRAR, why don't you try WinRAR itself? It has a built-in repair feature for repairing corrupted archive (ZIP as well as RAR). Follow the steps given below:
    • Open WinRAR application in your system.
    • Now click on File tab > Open or simply press Ctrl+O.
    • A small window "Find Archive" will pop up. Locate the corrupt RAR archive from your system directory and select it.
    • Now click Open button.
    • Click Tools tab > Repair archive or simply press Alt+R.
    • Again a small window "Repairing File name.rar" will pop up.
    • Now click Browse to select a location to save the repaired archive.
    • Check the box "Treat the corrupt archive as RAR" and click OK.
    • WinRAR will start repairing of corrupt RAR archive. Once it gets completed click Close.
    I hope the above steps will help you repair the corrupted RAR archive.

Thanks.

Lincoln Dunne, Aug 10, 2022
  3. Corrupt file - Can't fix. [Fixed]

Hi Vincent,

Thank you for posting your concern here in Microsoft Community.

Before proceeding, please check if the same issue occur when logged in through a different user account.

Ref: Add or remove accounts on your PC

Please perform the below steps and see if it helps to resolve the issue.

This issue may happen due to system file corruption. I suggest you to run System file checker. System File checker (SFC) scan is done to check if there are any corrupted system files that could be causing this issue. Kindly follow
    the below given steps:

• Press Windows key + X, select
      Command prompt (Admin)
      to bring up elevated Command prompt.
    • In Command prompt type sfc/scannow and press enter.
    • Restart the computer.
    If no corrupted system files were found in the previous state, then I suggest you to try the following steps:

• Open command prompt by pressing Windows key + X and selecting “Command prompt admin”.
    • In command prompt, type the following commands and press Enter after each command:
    DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

• Close the command prompt and restart the PC and check if it works.
    Hope this information helps. Please post us if you need any further assistance with Windows.

Thank you.

Sagnik_Chakraborty, Aug 10, 2022
  4. Checking that my files are not corrupt

explorer.exe corrupted

Hello,

This issue might be due to corrupted or missing system files.

I suggest you to try the below and check if it helps.

Step 1: End the Windows Explorer process and create the new one.

• Press Ctrl+Shift+Esc, under Process
      tab, search for Windows Explorer.
    • Right click on it and click on End task.
    • Click on File in the Task Manager
      at top left corner of the window and select Run new task.
    • Type explorer.exe and click on Ok.

Step 2: Run SFC scan.

System File Checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files.

Follow the below steps:

• Right click on the Start button, click on
      Command Prompt (Admin).

• Type “sfc /scannow” without the quotes and hit
      Enter.

• After the scan, restart the computer and check for the issue.

Step 3: Run Memory Diagnostic Tool.

Follow the below steps:

• Press Windows key and type
      Memory Diagnostic
    • Select Windows Memory Diagnostics
      and click on Restart now and check for problems.
    • Follow the on-screen instructions.

Hope it helps.

Try all the above mentioned steps and update the status of this issue for further assistance.

Anju Thekkethil, Aug 10, 2022
Thema:

Checking that my files are not corrupt

1. Checking that my files are not corrupt - Similar Threads - Checking files are

2. Are my window files corrupted?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Are my window files corrupted?: Cannot interact with the taskbar, start button. Right click on taskbar settings does nothing. I cannot change internet. File explore seems to work. But I am unable to open my computer settings. For example if I right clock on my background and click display settings, I get an...
  3. Are my window files corrupted?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Are my window files corrupted?: Cannot interact with the taskbar, start button. Right click on taskbar settings does nothing. I cannot change internet. File explore seems to work. But I am unable to open my computer settings. For example if I right clock on my background and click display settings, I get an...
  4. Checking that my files are not corrupt

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Checking that my files are not corrupt: When I make a backup of my USB stick folder that has a few thousand personal files in it, I look at the backup I have just made and look at the folder properties and make sure the backup folder size is identical in bytes as to the original. Is this a good way to make sure the...
  5. My setup files are corrupted

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    My setup files are corrupted: My setup files are corrupted . How to obtain a new copy of the program? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/my-setup-files-are-corrupted/8650a586-0676-4afa-9513-3837cae8a962
  6. alot of corrupted files from amd64 after checking on SFC

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    alot of corrupted files from amd64 after checking on SFC: As i was trying to fix my pc with SFCI read all the logs that the SFC gave to me and it turns out files on winsxs are mostly corrupted and are classified as STATUS_OBJECT_NAME_NOT_FOUND, some files has unable to repair payload file too, i need help as DISM and SFC and even...
  7. used cmd to check that if my system files are corrupt or not , it was actually corrupted....

used cmd to check that if my system files are corrupt or not , it was actually corrupted....: used SFC /scannow ....cbs log:https://file.io/aoW6ANs3IkCT https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/used-cmd-to-check-that-if-my-system-files-are/b9a19925-11b3-4d5c-a82f-4536b1f16e70
  8. Disk Check Corrupted Files

Disk Check Corrupted Files: I need help, I was doing a disk check on my laptop Asus X453S and suddenly my laptop shutdown, and started the disk check again, but it restarted again, the third time it happened i canceled the disk check because im afraid of corruption of the files, but because of that, i...
  9. My programdata files are corrupt

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    My programdata files are corrupt: I cannot install things such as VC_redistx64, brecause of my corrupt programdata. Is there any way to fix this?? I need a solution ASAP. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-programdata-files-are-corrupt/18f8b19c-8197-4ac2-9e8d-4749e84ee3e6
  10. BDOS Kernel Heap Corruption, Could you please check my Minidump file?

BDOS Kernel Heap Corruption, Could you please check my Minidump file?: Hi, I've been getting BSOD while working with Premiere Pro Could you please help me with the minidump file and tell me what might be the cause? Thank you very much! https://drive.google.com/open?id=137lPAAyGvz7WfAFes-MpuB2LwWJZ5tJD...