Windows 10: Checklist for migrating NVMe SSD's?

Discus and support Checklist for migrating NVMe SSD's? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I was wondering if there was any special care I needed to take when transferring one NVMe SSD to another on a laptop (A couple of HP Elitebook 830's... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/veritablechicken, Nov 10, 2019.

1. Checklist for migrating NVMe SSD's?

I was wondering if there was any special care I needed to take when transferring one NVMe SSD to another on a laptop (A couple of HP Elitebook 830's that I want to make a portable media tank) - to take it from whatever 256Gb SSD it has inside to a 2Tb 970 Evo.

I'll be using an Icy Dock NVMe enclosure to temporarily house the 2Tb SSD, then using Acronis to copy the drive over. Next, switch the drives and enable Bitlocker on the new SSD once it's in the laptop.

Is there a gotcha waiting for me?

submitted by /u/veritablechicken
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/veritablechicken, Nov 10, 2019
  2. xkm1948 Win User

Migrating Win10 to NVMe SSD

I am going to try what you suggested. I just tried using Linux Mint boot cd to hopefully erase the SSD. Unfortunately there seems to be some sort of encryption on the SATA SSD that prevents Linux from managing the SSD. Funny thing is I never used bitlocker on the SATA SSD.

xkm1948, Nov 10, 2019
  3. xkm1948 Win User

I am going to migrate my Win10 to my NVMe SSD. Installation wise there should be no problem. However I cannot seem to be able to erase the old Windows 10 on the SATA SSD. If I boot from USB Win10 Installation media it only ask me whether I want to repair the SATA SSD Win10 or not. Any ideas on how to complete erase the SSD that currently have Win10 on it? I tried sanitize drive and PSID revert in Win10, neither would work. The SATA SSD is Crucial MX200.

xkm1948, Nov 10, 2019
  4. Kursah Win User

Checklist for migrating NVMe SSD's?

So enable hot swapping, boot to the OS on the NVME and then connect the SATA SSD? I have a USB to SATA adapter for SSD's and 2.5" HDD's and that's a quick way to do just that too.

You should still be able to boot to the NVMe SSD OS installation, then format the SATA SSD in Disk Management. If it is that much trouble, can you limit booting only to the NVME drive in UEFI? Then that would force it to look at that drive for OS duties, allowing you to view and manage the SATA SSD while already booted to the OS.

Kursah, Nov 10, 2019
Thema:

Checklist for migrating NVMe SSD's?

1. Checklist for migrating NVMe SSD's? - Similar Threads - Checklist migrating NVMe

2. Migrating to SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Migrating to SSD: Hi, I have an old notebook in which I want to add an m.2 SSD256gb and run a dual memoryHDD with 1TB. I searched online and I learnt that It should work. The problem is that I one to install only W10 and some programs on the SSD, while I want to keep the other things on the...
  3. Migrating to SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Migrating to SSD: Hi, I have an old notebook in which I want to add an m.2 SSD256gb and run a dual memoryHDD with 1TB. I searched online and I learnt that It should work. The problem is that I one to install only W10 and some programs on the SSD, while I want to keep the other things on the...
  4. Migrating to SSD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Migrating files from one OS SSD to New Nvme

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Migrating files from one OS SSD to New Nvme: Got a Samsung Evo 970 and I want to move the files and programs from my Samsung 860 to that as that’ll be where I want the OS to be on now. How do I go about this? Is there no way and I would just need to reinstall everything on the new OS and move documents and stuff using...
  6. M2 NVME SSD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    M2 NVME SSD: How much exactly does Windows 10 benefit from being installed on an M2 NVME SSD compared to a SATA-600 SSD ? Other than a faster boot time, how exactly does windows benefit from the direct connection to the cpu that an NVME SSD offers?...
  7. Migrating to SSD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Migrating to SSD: So, my computer came with a hard disk and I've recently bought an SSD. I downloaded Windows 10 onto a flash drive so I can use it as a boot drive, so what do I do to get my SSD set up properly and migrate the data from my hard drive over? I ask because of the prompts with...
  8. Migrate from NVME to Samsung NVME using Orico NVME enclosure ?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Migrate from NVME to Samsung NVME using Orico NVME enclosure ?: How do I migrate from my internal Toshibha NVME 512Gb on XPS 7590 to a samsung evoplus 970 1TB NVME drive, using Orico NVME enclosure ? The samsung evo plus 1TB drive installed in Orico NVME enclosure shows up as JMicron Generic SCSI Disk device . I have tried using samsung...
  9. NVME SSD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    NVME SSD: Do all versions of Windows 10, including business (Volume license), have built in NVme drivers? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/nvme-ssd/4df34df6-e834-425b-b1c1-716012fe31a6
  10. Migration to an SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Migration to an SSD: I moved the Windows 10 installation of my mother's PC from a hard drive to a SSD using DriveImageXML drive2drive feature with Windows running. I copied the boot system partition and the Windows partition (C*Smile then booted with the new system partition. But even if I booted...