Windows 10: Child account making purchases on my store account

Discus and support Child account making purchases on my store account in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I have a win10 machine with my account as admin and my daughter's account allowed to log in as a standard user. Because I have GamePass Ultimate and I... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by QuixoticRocket, Oct 26, 2020.

1. Child account making purchases on my store account

I have a win10 machine with my account as admin and my daughter's account allowed to log in as a standard user.
    Because I have GamePass Ultimate and I have bought a couple of games, I've set the microsoft store account on her login to use my login. That all works fine and she's able to play the games I've bought.

The problem comes in with purchases especially roblox in-game robux purchases. When I change any settings on the store account it asks for the windows-hello PIN. But it accepts her PIN and not mine even though this is my store account. If, for example, I try to manage settings on _MY_ store account while logged into _HER_ windows account it will ask for a PIN. It accepts her PIN and not mine, and then it opens _HER_ MS account in the browser which is obviously pointless while managing my store account.

That's liveable, but I have the setting to ask for password on purchases and this is where it goes wrong. When clicking "buy Robux" in Roblox, it will open up the store options. You click "buy some Robux" and it asks for a PIN... you see where this is going now right?. It accepts _HER_ PIN and then offers her _MY_ payment options.

This seems like an obvious bug. On the Xbox she is able to share all my games on her login, but if she attempts to purchase anything without enough credit on her account it's blocked through the family settings and she requests the purchase for me.

However I can't find any limitations like this for Win10.

If the purchase is on my store account it should ask for my PIN, not hers. If something requires admin login installation for example then it only accepts my PIN since I'm the admin.

Have I got a setting wrong somewhere? Is there another way to share GamePass on the machine without logging into my store account on her login?

:)

QuixoticRocket, Oct 26, 2020
  2. roto169 Win User

How to prevent child accounts from making purchases on Windows Store

Is there anyway to prevent a child's account from making purchases from the Windows Store? I asked the MS Community for help but the only response I received was to "remove the account from the family". If I do this, then they are no longer able to log into the computer. Is there a reasonable alternative to using the family settings offered by Microsoft?

roto169, Oct 26, 2020
  3. Better management of "child accounts" needed for purchases

jeromeHarrison, Oct 26, 2020
  4. Child account making purchases on my store account

Better management of "child accounts" needed for purchases

Both myself and my daughter have Windows Phones, however I have set her account up as a child account. Normally I have the setting for "Purchases" disabled, however the process to buy apps on her account when needed is incredibly tedious.

1. Sign in as child on the zune.net website

2. Enable Purchases

3. Sign in as Parent to authorise the change

4. Wait *ages* for the change to take effect

5. Go back to the app store and buy the app (or wait if the change isn't in effect yet)

6. Once installed, repeat steps 1-4 to disable purchases again

7. Hope in the meantime your child hasn't taken the opportunity to buy lots of other stuff as well Child account making purchases on my store account :)

It would be really great if a different system could be implemented. How about:

• Child tries to buy the app, a notification goes to the parent to "approve" the purchase, or;
    • The parent is able to manage child accounts directly under their own zune.net account and can buy "on behalf of...". or;
    • When the child tries to buy an app, it just prompts at that time for the parent to login to "sign for" and approve the purchase
    I love the option to have and manage child accounts and the family security settings, but this particular process is really painful.

Regards,

Scott.

Scott_Williams, Oct 26, 2020
Thema:

Child account making purchases on my store account

1. Child account making purchases on my store account - Similar Threads - Child account making

2. Minecraft parent purchase for child accounts

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Minecraft parent purchase for child accounts: Hi,I've purchased Minecraft Deluxe bundle for my kids to use. I can install it on their accounts using Microsoft Store, but as Minecraft now requires Minecraft Launcher to launch the game previously it was a separate app you started; Minecraft Java Edition it is no longer...
  3. Child can make a purchase on my account with their own pin!

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Child can make a purchase on my account with their own pin!: I have a family 360 subscription and a Gamepass ultimate for the family Xbox. The kids want to play Minecraft Java edition, thats included in the gamepass subscription. However, to play the java edition I have to log my account in on the microsoft store. That would be semi...
  4. Child can make a purchase on my account with their own pin!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Child can make a purchase on my account with their own pin!: I have a family 360 subscription and a Gamepass ultimate for the family Xbox. The kids want to play Minecraft Java edition, thats included in the gamepass subscription. However, to play the java edition I have to log my account in on the microsoft store. That would be semi...
  5. Child can make a purchase on my account with their own pin!

6. Purchased game not available in store for child account

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Purchased game not available in store for child account: I purchased a game while logged in under my child account. In the library the game is not listed. When searching for the game, it says purchased. But if I go to the game, there is no option to install or open....
  7. Purchased game not available in store for child account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Purchased game not available in store for child account: I purchased a game while logged in under my child account. In the library the game is not listed. When searching for the game, it says purchased. But if I go to the game, there is no option to install or open....
  8. Purchased game not available in store for child account

9. Minecraft Parent purchase for child accounts

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Minecraft Parent purchase for child accounts: Hello, If I purchase Minecraft, can my lined children accounts access the game from their devices? Any links that can explain teh process will be helpful. Thanks, Anand...
  10. How to prevent child accounts from making purchases on Windows Store

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    How to prevent child accounts from making purchases on Windows Store: Is there anyway to prevent a child's account from making purchases from the Windows Store? I asked the MS Community for help but the only response I received was to "remove the account from the family". If I do this, then they are no longer able to log into the computer. Is...