Windows 10: Child unable to login to laptop due to Family restrictions in place, despite allowances not...

Discus and support Child unable to login to laptop due to Family restrictions in place, despite allowances not... in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Hello, I am trying to help a non-techi friend with an issue his child is facing. I found a perfect description of the problem posted by another user,... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by CristianSucu, Oct 18, 2020.

1. Child unable to login to laptop due to Family restrictions in place, despite allowances not...

Hello, I am trying to help a non-techi friend with an issue his child is facing. I found a perfect description of the problem posted by another user, but the solutions offered in that thread were insufficient. I would write to that user to ask how she solved the problem in the end, but I think private messaging is not allowed in this forum.
    Here's the link to the original thread:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/child-unable-to-login-to-laptop/4390ed4a-63d5-4cf7-86f0-febaae2e3d73
    and this is the user:

JillianPatterson1

Can a moderator help me reach the user to maybe kindly share her experience with me AND/OR can someone try to help?

Many thanks in advance,

Cristian

"My son has a new laptop and set it up with his Microsoft account. He was the only user and thus the administrator for the machine.

He is a part of my Microsoft family and we have screen time settings in place. I have never had a problem restricting and/or allowing access to screen time on other devices.

I have removed all screen time restrictions, rebooted his laptop and even tried removing him from the family and then adding him back, but when he tries to login he gets "Time's up! This device is locked because of your family settings for screen time. You need to ask an adult if you want more time today." He is unable to send a request for more time because "Something went wrong We were unable to send your request. Are you connected to the internet?" and yes, we are connected to the internet Clicking "my parent is here" brings up a choice of "Grant more screen time" yes / no. Clicking yes brings up "An error has occurred Since you are an administrator on this device, you'll need to send a request for more screen time." Clicking switch users or turn off PC takes us back to the login page and my son is the only user on the computer. If we click control/alt/delete and go to the task manager from the "Time's up" page, it goes right back to the "Time's up" page.

Because we are not able to login to the computer, we are not able to add users, switch administrative privileges to an adult, or run the troubleshooter.

This is a brand new laptop purchased to start high school and we now can't even log in to it.

I have called Microsoft tech support and run through the issue with 3 different people who have all put me on hold and then hung up on me and not bothered to call me back despite having my phone number.

Please help!!"

:)

CristianSucu, Oct 18, 2020

2. Child unable to login to laptop

My son has a new laptop and set it up with his Microsoft account. He was the only user and thus the administrator for the machine.

He is a part of my Microsoft family and we have screen time settings in place. I have never had a problem restricting and/or allowing access to screen time on other devices.

I have removed all screen time restrictions, rebooted his laptop and even tried removing him from the family and then adding him back, but when he tries to login he gets "Time's up! This device is locked because of your family settings for screen
    time. You need to ask an adult if you want more time today." He is unable to send a request for more time because "Something went wrong We were unable to send your request. Are you connected to the internet?" (and yes, we are connected to the internet)
    Clicking "my parent is here" brings up a choice of "Grant more screen time" yes / no. Clicking yes brings up "An error has occurred Since you are an administrator on this device, you'll need to send a request for more screen time." Clicking switch users
    or turn off PC takes us back to the login page and my son is the only user on the computer. If we click control/alt/delete and go to the task manager from the "Time's up" page, it goes right back to the "Time's up" page.

Because we are not able to login to the computer, we are not able to add users, switch administrative privileges to an adult, or run the troubleshooter.

This is a brand new laptop purchased to start high school and we now can't even log in to it.

I have called Microsoft tech support and run through the issue with 3 different people who have all put me on hold and then hung up on me and not bothered to call me back despite having my phone number.

Please help!!

JillianPatterson1, Oct 18, 2020
  3. Windows 10 Family safety - child can disable all feature, why?

Hi,

There may be a sync issue with the restrictions that has been applied to the child account. To isolate your concern regarding Family Safety, we recommend that you follow these steps:

• Remove the Child account on the Family Safety website.
    • Change the passwords of your account.
    • Add the Child account again.
    • Add the restrictions to the Child account again.

Keep us updated with the results if your child will still be able to turn off the Family Safety feature after performing the steps above.

Kristoffer Abs, Oct 18, 2020
  4. Child unable to login to laptop due to Family restrictions in place, despite allowances not...

Unable to purchase on Microsoft Store with a Family account.

Thank you for your response. There are other games that allow you to purchase using the Microsoft funds that you transferred to a member of your Family.
    If you don't have sufficient money in your Microsoft account to complete a transaction, you must use another form of payment registered with your Microsoft account to cover the remaining purchase amount, charge the entire purchase to the other payment
    option in lieu of your account balance, or add additional value to your Microsoft account.

To ensure that the child account is allowed to purchase a content online, you have to check and change the restriction settings on the account by following the steps below:

• Sign in to your account on the
      Microsoft Family page
    • Find your child’s name and select More options > Spending >
      Change content restrictions.
    • Change the restrictions settings and allow the account to purchase.

If you are still unable to purchase the game, there is a possible issue with your profile or the billing information. We recommend that you contact Xbox Chat Support to securely check your account and the child account.

Keep us updated with the results after performing the suggested solutions above.

Loraine Mon, Oct 18, 2020
Thema:

Child unable to login to laptop due to Family restrictions in place, despite allowances not...

1. Child unable to login to laptop due to Family restrictions in place, despite allowances not... - Similar Threads - Child unable login

2. Family Safety won't allow child to login to Windows

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Family Safety won't allow child to login to Windows: As soon as our son tries and unlock the computer with his MS password the following message appears:Time is up! This device is blocked because of your family settings for screen time.Now we have the following options:"my parent is here" or "send request"If we use option one a...
  3. Family Safety won't allow child to login to Windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Family Safety won't allow child to login to Windows: As soon as our son tries and unlock the computer with his MS password the following message appears:Time is up! This device is blocked because of your family settings for screen time.Now we have the following options:"my parent is here" or "send request"If we use option one a...
  4. Family Safety won't allow child to login to Windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Family Safety restrictions despite no longer being in one

Family Safety restrictions despite no longer being in one: Hello to all who read this post.10 years ago I used to be in a Microsoft Family Group with a parent as the head/adult of the group. Recently I was removed from that Family Group I requested to be so. Despite that, I continue to have restrictions in both settings and on...
  6. Family Safety restrictions despite no longer being in one

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Family Safety restrictions despite no longer being in one: Hello to all who read this post.10 years ago I used to be in a Microsoft Family Group with a parent as the head/adult of the group. Recently I was removed from that Family Group I requested to be so. Despite that, I continue to have restrictions in both settings and on...
  7. Family Safety restrictions despite no longer being in one

8. Child able to work-around family restrictions

Child able to work-around family restrictions: Please, any ideas how to prevent a child from hacking their way round Microsoft Family restrictions? Politely asking them not to unfortunately doesn’t appear to work.Child’s account is locked with time restrictions, all apps blocked, age limit<3, etc. The child can still...
  9. Unable to put restrictions on childs account in the family safe application

Unable to put restrictions on childs account in the family safe application: In the family safe app it says I need to put restrictions on the time my child is on the app by clicking on the name amd some menu is supposed to poo up. Nothing pops up so I cant seem to figure out what im doing wrong....
  10. Child unable to login to laptop

Child unable to login to laptop: My son has a new laptop and set it up with his Microsoft account. He was the only user and thus the administrator for the machine. He is a part of my Microsoft family and we have screen time settings in place. I have never had a problem restricting and/or allowing access to...