Windows 10: Chinese alphabet signs in EU Windows 10 PRO update? Security matter question.

Discus and support Chinese alphabet signs in EU Windows 10 PRO update? Security matter question. in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hello. I'm using Windows 10 PRO 64bit system installed on ssd drive. Recently i noticed that something was draining my disk space. I was pretty sure... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by PV111, Sep 29, 2018.

1. PV111 Win User

Chinese alphabet signs in EU Windows 10 PRO update? Security matter question.

Hello. I'm using Windows 10 PRO 64bit system installed on ssd drive.

Recently i noticed that something was draining my disk space. I was pretty sure that are old backup files of Win10 update. I started cleansing them via control panel Disk Cleanup. It calculated around 6,5 GB of old updates which can be deleted. I unchecked all other options than Win 10 update and started.

It took like 2h and got stuck when it was still like 3 GB left and then control panel app displayed something like this:

Deleting … [ some chinese alphabet signs ]

then after like 30 min of displaying this it lagged my pc for few sec and stated that clean is completed. When i scanned with control panel app again it showed that there is still more than 2GB to be deleted but when i did the final scan just before cleanup process it keep showing that there are no more files to be deleted.

It stated that app is deleting Win 10 PRO update files which were named in chinese. It seemed to me highly suspicious as I'm normal and casual Win 10 user. I use internet only to watch youtube, play online games and browse some public secured forums and still I do a malware scan & internet junk files clean everyday.

Sadly i don't have screenshot of this and I don't have any problems with my system, data or privacy. Everything is working great.

But as this chinese signs was highly suspicious for me considering a lot of chinese spyware on NA and EU scandals i wanted to report this here as it may be important if this is indeed a security problem for Microsoft.

:)

PV111, Sep 29, 2018
  2. AsRock Win User

Windows 10 Update

Well just noticed a pretty large one pop up coming in at 914MB, seems it makes some pretty serous updates.

KB3172985
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3172985

This security update includes improvements and fixes in the functionality of Windows 10 Version 1511 and Windows Server 2016 Technical Preview 4. It also resolves the following vulnerabilities in Windows:

• 3175677 MS16-094: Security update for secure boot: July 12, 2016
    • 3174060 MS16-093: Security update for Adobe Flash Player: July 12, 2016
    • 3171910 MS16-092: Security update for Windows Kernel: July 12, 2016
    • 3170048 MS16-091: Security update for .Net Framework: July 12, 2016
    • 3171481 MS16-090: Security update for Kernel Mode Drivers: July 12, 2016
    • 3170050 MS16-089: Security update for Windows secure kernel mode: July 12, 2016
    • 3170005 MS16-087: Security update for the Microsoft Print Spooler: July 12, 2016
    • 3169999 MS16-085: Cumulative security update for Microsoft Edge: July 12, 2016
    • 3169991 MS16-084: Cumulative security update for Internet Explorer: July 12, 2016

AsRock, Sep 29, 2018
  3. MrGenius Win User
    Microsoft to make Windows 10 updates mandatory

Well, at the moment at least, you can choose to defer upgrades. Under Settings > Windows Updates > Advanced options you need to check the box labeled "Defer upgrades". What does that do? Good question. The answer I've found might illuminate it to a degree.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/defer-upgrades-in-windows-10

I hear this only applies to Pro and Enterprise editions. But I can't verify that.

MrGenius, Sep 29, 2018
  4. Chinese alphabet signs in EU Windows 10 PRO update? Security matter question.

Driven by Chinese PUBG Players, Windows 7 Now Most Popular OS on Steam

Fair enough and props to you. You and I along with anyone else who understands how to properly secure Windows 10, and Windows in general, are definitely in a minority. A growing minority, but still. I'd say this is the reason the chinese public are dubious of Windows 10.

lexluthermiester, Sep 29, 2018
Thema:

Chinese alphabet signs in EU Windows 10 PRO update? Security matter question.

1. Chinese alphabet signs in EU Windows 10 PRO update? Security matter question. - Similar Threads - Chinese alphabet signs

2. Security at question, signs of a Trojan

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Security at question, signs of a Trojan: So I started my Surface Pro 7 as usual, and then notice something suspicious. Even though I've set my Windows Hello with my full face, it recognized my just with catching a glare of my hair just the hair, nothing more. I wanna know if this is normal, since I've recently found...
  3. Update to Windows 10 pro version 20H2 Fails no matter what.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Update to Windows 10 pro version 20H2 Fails no matter what.: Hi for the last few months despite repeated attempts to update to the Feature Update 20H2 version the update fails.for exampleFailed to install on ‎28/‎07/‎2021 - 0x8024000bLast failed install attempt on ‎28/‎07/‎2021 - 0x80242016Last failed install attempt on ‎12/‎07/‎2021 -...
  4. Windows 10 security question

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 security question: I have a spare laptop with Windows 10 home on it. This laptop does not support bit locker or device encryption. I am going to let someone borrow it while they are in the hospital. I will create a new user account for them. I do not have any important files stored on the...
  5. Windows 10 Pro question

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 Pro question: Yes I need to do a factory reset to my computer. It came with Windows 10 Home and I upgraded it to Windows 10 Pro. My question is when I do a factory reset it will be with Windows 10 Home, do I have to buy Windows 10 Pro again since I don't seem to have a key for the...
  6. Windows 10 Pro language change- Windows Update stuck on Chinese

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Pro language change- Windows Update stuck on Chinese: I recently purchased a Lenovo notebook in China, it came with Windows 10 Home (Chinese language) Right after the first setup and downloading all the recent updates I purchased the "Pro" upgrade through Settings->Update&security->Activation, in Microsoft Store. The edition...
  7. Windows security emails are in Chinese

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows security emails are in Chinese: Hi, Does anyone know how to change the language in which Windows Security sends you emails? Whenever I get an email from Windows Security, it is written largely in Chinese characters. I would assume that these emails are phishing attempts that don't actually come from...
  8. Chinese alphabet characters on taskbar popup calendar

in Windows 10 Customization
    Chinese alphabet characters on taskbar popup calendar: Can anyone tell me how to get rid of these Chinese fonts on the taskbar calendar, please? [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/chinese-alphabet-characters-on-taskbar-popup/565a004a-c9aa-4f47-bb80-c1ef92877f24
  9. Missing Security Updates for Windows 10 Pro

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Missing Security Updates for Windows 10 Pro: I have a clean install of Windows 10 Pro. Belarc Advisor scan results show 2 missing security updates: Hotfix Id Severity Description (click to see security bulletin) Q2538243 Important Microsoft security update (KB2538243) Q2565063 Important Microsoft security...
  10. Windows 10 Security Question

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Security Question: A friend sent me this, I have a hard time believing MS would do such a thing. Is it true ?? ..."Krebs on Security has posted a new item. Starting today, Microsoft is offering most Windows 7 and Windows 8 users a free upgrade to the software giant's latest operating...