Windows 10: .chk files

Discus and support .chk files in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Recently when I ran Wise Disk Cleaner, it found a number of .CHK files. From what I know, these are recovered files from using CHKDSK. I think I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by mjbj403, Nov 28, 2019.

1. mjbj403 Win User

.chk files

Recently when I ran Wise Disk Cleaner, it found a number of .CHK files.

From what I know, these are recovered files from using CHKDSK.

I think I remember reading somewhere some time ago that they aren't actually any use? Is this the case? If so, then I may as well just delete them.

Hope someone can clarify for me please.

Current version of Windows is 1909 (18363.476).

:)

mjbj403, Nov 28, 2019
  2. Rohn007 Win User

CHK files recovery

Probably not.

The thing is, CHK's are not files as such. They are actually file fragments that have become "disassociated" from each other because the file system was interrupted before it could create the links required to link the blocks used by a file together. The chkdsk
    utlity scans the disk to find these orphan blocks and names them CHK files.

This page goes into more detail:

https://www.howtogeek.com/282798/what-are-the-f...

A CHK file represents "1 block" of storage on the HD. Exactly how big that is depends on your total drive size. On current drives you can expect 4K, 8K, and larger. If your file fits completely in a block/chk, then you stand a chance of being able to recover
    the file. But files that are larger than the block are a problem. If you can match the CHK files together great. I may be possible with text files. But for files like graphics, very unlikely you will be able to reassemble them.

http://www.alphaurax-computer.com/computer-tips...

You can extract text, then piece the text found in separate CHK files back together, if you are familiar with the file content.

Rohn007, Nov 28, 2019
  3. jfhh Win User
    CHK file restoration

4. .chk files

How to recover (.CHK) files from FOUND.000 folders

How to recover a
    .CHK
    files from a SD Card or USB Flash Drive ?

I'll simplify the the problem and what might cause it, and the solutions that I've tried, but first, let me mention some concepts:

• File extension: .CHK
    • File type: Recovered File Fragments
    • They're stored in a folders called, FOUND.000,
      FOUND.001
      etc.

Problems that might cause the issue

• Disk Errors: usually because a sudden shutdown while the relevant files were opened.
    • Unplugging the USB Flash or the SD card without using the safely remove device

Possible Solutions

• CHK-Mate which has failed.
    • ZAR or called as Zero Assumption Recovery which has failed too.
    • Performing a Disk Check using the built-in Windows Tools which didn't fix the files.

I need a solution because the files are very important.

I appreciate any solutions or explanations.

Thanks.

AHMAD

.chk files de5442aa-0af8-4316-87dc-5c84df2c1d45.png

Ahmad A. Nasriya, Nov 28, 2019
Thema:

.chk files

1. .chk files - Similar Threads - chk files

2. WUDownloadCache - why in a partition containing only data files?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    WUDownloadCache - why in a partition containing only data files?: The other day, I noticed that both desktop and laptop systems had this new folder, WUDownloadCache, which appears to be where Windows Update stores downloaded files. For both systems, this new folder is on the D drive. Is it OK to delete this folder entirely? If not, can I...
  3. How can I get Read permissions for all subfolders and files in a folder at once?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How can I get Read permissions for all subfolders and files in a folder at once?: I have an old corrupt Windows folder that I am trying to delete from a hard drive. This is what the permissions settings for the folder looks like: [ATTACH] As you can see, both administrators and users have full control, applying to "This folder, subfolders, and files",...
  4. Files

Files: How do you just delete files from my pc and not one drive?Do you unsync one drive from your pc? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/files/03a9ac0e-e9a2-446c-897b-69d8cb95f13a"
  5. Urgent help needed : CAD program "Closes Abruptly" on "Export" a file "Command

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Urgent help needed : CAD program "Closes Abruptly" on "Export" a file "Command: Hi Windows Experts I need help here to troubleshoot my Win 10 Ent, ver 1809, running on mobile workstation HP zBook G6, with enough memory and ram. I have been using PTC's Creo Modeling and Creo Model Manager software for many year [more than 10 yrs]. Even since Win 10...
  6. Edit File History config1.xml and config2.xml Files Directly

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Edit File History config1.xml and config2.xml Files Directly: I'd like to make some changes to the File History config1.xml and config2.xml files to "clean" things up a little ... like sort included folders alphabetically, etc. However, if I edit these four files directory (there are two of each) they revert back to their default values...
  7. File Explorer Doesn't Show Up in Cortana Search

File Explorer Doesn't Show Up in Cortana Search: I have a user in my organization that is having a problem with File Explorer. Before, she would be able to use the Cortana search bar, type in a few letters leading to File Explorer, and it would usually pop up as the top result. Now, it shows 7-Zip File Manager and File...
  8. Problems with "This PC" folder in File Explorer.

Problems with "This PC" folder in File Explorer.: Problems with "This PC" folder in File Explorer. I would like to get rid of one of the 2 "Documents" folders in "Quick Access" In "This PC" folder I would like to get the correct "Documents" folder and avoid errors. In "This PC" folder I would like to get DeskTop to work...
  9. Any executable files that I try to download WON'T download...

Any executable files that I try to download WON'T download...: i've tried to download several executable files from official sites (e.g. minecraft launcher), and when I try to open them from chrome, and a new chrome tab called "window dialog" is made, but is invisible. when I try to open them from my downloads folder, they are all...
  10. Almost all my apps and files keep asking me how to open the file. Even for google chrome

Almost all my apps and files keep asking me how to open the file. Even for google chrome: It started like this: I had a problem where i couldn't open certain setup files and i searched in the internet how to fix this. Its this site: https://www.google.com/amp/s/windowsreport.com/exe-files-not-opening-windows-10/%3famp I think i did something wrong when it told...