Windows 10: .chk files

Discus and support .chk files in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Recently when I ran Wise Disk Cleaner, it found a number of .CHK files. From what I know, these are recovered files from using CHKDSK. I think I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by mjbj403, Nov 28, 2019.

1. mjbj403 Win User

.chk files

Recently when I ran Wise Disk Cleaner, it found a number of .CHK files.

From what I know, these are recovered files from using CHKDSK.

I think I remember reading somewhere some time ago that they aren't actually any use? Is this the case? If so, then I may as well just delete them.

Hope someone can clarify for me please.

Current version of Windows is 1909 (18363.476).

:)

mjbj403, Nov 28, 2019
  2. Rohn007 Win User

CHK files recovery

Probably not.

The thing is, CHK's are not files as such. They are actually file fragments that have become "disassociated" from each other because the file system was interrupted before it could create the links required to link the blocks used by a file together. The chkdsk
    utlity scans the disk to find these orphan blocks and names them CHK files.

This page goes into more detail:

https://www.howtogeek.com/282798/what-are-the-f...

A CHK file represents "1 block" of storage on the HD. Exactly how big that is depends on your total drive size. On current drives you can expect 4K, 8K, and larger. If your file fits completely in a block/chk, then you stand a chance of being able to recover
    the file. But files that are larger than the block are a problem. If you can match the CHK files together great. I may be possible with text files. But for files like graphics, very unlikely you will be able to reassemble them.

http://www.alphaurax-computer.com/computer-tips...

You can extract text, then piece the text found in separate CHK files back together, if you are familiar with the file content.

Rohn007, Nov 28, 2019
  3. jfhh Win User
    CHK file restoration

4. .chk files

How to recover (.CHK) files from FOUND.000 folders

How to recover a
    .CHK
    files from a SD Card or USB Flash Drive ?

I'll simplify the the problem and what might cause it, and the solutions that I've tried, but first, let me mention some concepts:

• File extension: .CHK
    • File type: Recovered File Fragments
    • They're stored in a folders called, FOUND.000,
      FOUND.001
      etc.

Problems that might cause the issue

• Disk Errors: usually because a sudden shutdown while the relevant files were opened.
    • Unplugging the USB Flash or the SD card without using the safely remove device

Possible Solutions

• CHK-Mate which has failed.
    • ZAR or called as Zero Assumption Recovery which has failed too.
    • Performing a Disk Check using the built-in Windows Tools which didn't fix the files.

I need a solution because the files are very important.

I appreciate any solutions or explanations.

Thanks.

AHMAD

.chk files de5442aa-0af8-4316-87dc-5c84df2c1d45.png

Ahmad A. Nasriya, Nov 28, 2019
Thema:

.chk files

1. .chk files - Similar Threads - chk files

2. .CHK FILES ON USB DRIVE. NEED TO RECOVER 1 FILE OUT OF 2000 THAT HAS A UNIQUE EXTENSION.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    .CHK FILES ON USB DRIVE. NEED TO RECOVER 1 FILE OUT OF 2000 THAT HAS A UNIQUE EXTENSION.: hi i have a usb drive with 2000 files on it. all are now shown with an extension of .chk. i only need one file that is very important to recover, but it will have a .t20 extension. this is not a normal extension. what can i do to locate it from the 2000 .chk files and then...
  3. .CHK FILES ON USB DRIVE. NEED TO RECOVER 1 FILE OUT OF 2000 THAT HAS A UNIQUE EXTENSION.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    .CHK FILES ON USB DRIVE. NEED TO RECOVER 1 FILE OUT OF 2000 THAT HAS A UNIQUE EXTENSION.: hi i have a usb drive with 2000 files on it. all are now shown with an extension of .chk. i only need one file that is very important to recover, but it will have a .t20 extension. this is not a normal extension. what can i do to locate it from the 2000 .chk files and then...
  4. .CHK FILES ON USB DRIVE. NEED TO RECOVER 1 FILE OUT OF 2000 THAT HAS A UNIQUE EXTENSION.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Navigate & chk users on my pc

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Navigate & chk users on my pc: Hi, I want to chk Users access to my desktop W10. Shd be only me as admin & user+/want to confirm status. Can anyone confirm navigation to access. thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/navigate-chk-users-on-my-pc/83d44ac9-0443-478c-b208-5a50ead621e3
  6. Navigate & chk users on my pc

Navigate & chk users on my pc: Hi, I want to chk Users access to my desktop W10. Shd be only me as admin & user+/want to confirm status. Can anyone confirm navigation to access. thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/navigate-chk-users-on-my-pc/83d44ac9-0443-478c-b208-5a50ead621e3
  7. Navigate & chk users on my pc

in Windows 10 Customization
  8. How to convert chk file to original files

How to convert chk file to original files: How to convert chk files to original files https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-convert-chk-file-to-original-files/32ad1a27-1269-46bc-ba89-1d55c9161890
  9. How to convert chk file to original files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to convert chk file to original files: How to convert chk files to original files https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-convert-chk-file-to-original-files/32ad1a27-1269-46bc-ba89-1d55c9161890
  10. What is FOUND.000 folder? How to recover .CHK files from it in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    What is FOUND.000 folder? How to recover .CHK files from it in Windows 10: In File Explorer on some volumes, you may see a new folder called FOUND.000 with a file in it using the .CHK extension. In this post, we will explain what this folder is and the file it contains and also make suggestions on how to recover files from the folder in Windows 10....