Windows 10: chkdsk and dir commands report different free space

Discus and support chkdsk and dir commands report different free space in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello, I would like to know why is there different free space reported by chkdsk and dir commands. I created a compressed NTFS drive and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Igor Feher, Jan 19, 2021.

1. chkdsk and dir commands report different free space

Hello,

I would like to know why is there different free space reported by chkdsk and dir commands.

I created a compressed NTFS drive and have one folder with files in it. There are no errors on drive at least as reported by chkdsk:

x:\>chkdsk x:

The type of the file system is NTFS.

Volume label is xxx.

WARNING! /F parameter not specified.

Running CHKDSK in read-only mode.

Stage 1: Examining basic file system structure ...

139264 file records processed.

File verification completed.

6971 large file records processed.

0 bad file records processed.

Stage 2: Examining file name linkage ...

4 reparse records processed.

193310 index entries processed.

Index verification completed.

0 unindexed files scanned.

0 unindexed files recovered to lost and found.

4 reparse records processed.

Stage 3: Examining security descriptors ...

Security descriptor verification completed.

27023 data files processed.

Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems.

No further action is required.

1953497087 KB total disk space.

1712834324 KB in 105051 files.

25868 KB in 27025 indexes.

0 KB in bad sectors.

265143 KB in use by the system.

65536 KB occupied by the log file.

240371752 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.

488374271 total allocation units on disk.

60092938 allocation units available on disk.

----------------------------------------------

x:\>dir

Volume in drive x is xxx

Volume Serial Number is xxxx

Directory of x:\

20/01/2021 01:21 <DIR> xxxxx

0 Files 0 bytes

1 Dirs 82.100.224 bytes free

-----------------------------------------

The difference here is 240371752 KB available on disk reported by chkdsk vs 80176KB reported by dir and file explorer.

:)

Igor Feher, Jan 19, 2021

2. "chkdsk" command on "cmd" showing lots of errors

You can run chkdsk /f at the Command Prompt while in Repair Mode. It works like so:

1. Tap F8 at boot time to get into Repair Mode.
    2. Open a Command Prompt.
    3. Find the System partition like so:

dir C:\Win* {Enter}

dir D:\Win* {Enter}

dir E:\Win* {Enter}

dir F:\Win* {Enter}

until you get a positive response. I shall call this letter Q:.
    4. Run chkdsk Q: /F

Frederik Long, Jan 19, 2021
  3. dir Difficulties

I am getting the hang of this command set.

Maybe somebody know a work around that will list the three time stamps at one time.
    Theoretically dir /TC /TA /TW.
    dir will only show one of the three at one time.

To me it seems that the only way to get all three on a line is to run loop with output to file, then boiling down the three outputs to one line. Clumsy but maybe the only way to get the job done?

Thanks for any suggestions.

mikeincousa, Jan 19, 2021
  4. das10 Win User

chkdsk and dir commands report different free space

das10, Jan 19, 2021
Thema:

chkdsk and dir commands report different free space

1. chkdsk and dir commands report different free space - Similar Threads - chkdsk dir commands

2. DIR Command

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DIR Command: dir /A:D /B /S > FolderList.txt produces a list of all directories and subdirectories of a directory. I would like to modify this line to have the date included for all directories and subdirectories of a directory too....
  3. DIR Command

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DIR Command: dir /A:D /B /S > FolderList.txt produces a list of all directories and subdirectories of a directory. I would like to modify this line to have the date included for all directories and subdirectories of a directory too....
  4. chkdsk report

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    chkdsk report: hey so i ran a chkdsk and thn i searched for the logs so can u tell me is there any problem or not by seeing the logs:Log Name: ApplicationSource: Windows Error Reporting Date: 18-12-2021 15:31:22 Event ID: 1001 Task Category: None Level: Information Keywords: Classic User:...
  5. chkdsk report

in Windows 10 Gaming
    chkdsk report: hey so i ran a chkdsk and thn i searched for the logs so can u tell me is there any problem or not by seeing the logs:Log Name: ApplicationSource: Windows Error Reporting Date: 18-12-2021 15:31:22 Event ID: 1001 Task Category: None Level: Information Keywords: Classic User:...
  6. chkdsk report

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Bug in the DIR command?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Bug in the DIR command?: Hi all. I'm running Version 10.0.17134.1365 and recently I've been testing long file names and how they're handled in an application that I work on. Strangely I noticed that when I try to see what the short name is for one of these files, they're not displaying correctly....
  8. DIR commands

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    DIR commands: So recently I used the DIR commands to be able to see hidden and Invisible files, is there any way to revert this? submitted by /u/Creeper_King_558 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/inyfq2/dir_commands/
  9. CHKDSK Report

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    CHKDSK Report: Can you explain me the chkdsk results of my HDD? What is the condition of my hard drive? Checking file system on C: The type of the file system is NTFS. A disk check has been scheduled. Windows will now check the disk. Stage 1: Examining basic...
  10. Is this false CHKDSK reporting?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Is this false CHKDSK reporting?: Hi all - I open an administrative command window on W10 Pro and type chkdsk c: /F /V so that chkdsk can run on the boot volume upon restart. Drive C: is an SSD. Upon reboot, chkdsk is invoked and I notice this: [img] Note the bottom line in the picture - Scanning and...