Windows 10: CHKDSK cannot continue in read-only mode

Discus and support CHKDSK cannot continue in read-only mode in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; [ATTACH] [ATTACH]CHKDSK proves to be most helpful to fix any issue with storage, file system, and disk. But when scanning the operating system... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinClub, May 11, 2019.

1. WinClub New Member

CHKDSK cannot continue in read-only mode

CHKDSK cannot continue in read-only mode CHKDSK-cannot-continue-in-read-only-mode-1-100x100.jpg
    CHKDSK cannot continue in read-only mode CHKDSK-cannot-continue-in-read-only-mode-1-150x76.jpg CHKDSK proves to be most helpful to fix any issue with storage, file system, and disk. But when scanning the operating system partition or some external storage devices, it may throw some error. One such error is the CHKDSK cannot [...]

This post CHKDSK cannot continue in read-only mode is from TheWindowsClub.com.

read more...

WinClub, May 11, 2019

2. KB3176493 continuously fails

Hi Kevin,

To resolve your concern, we suggest that you run a ChkDsk on your system to check for hard disk errors.

To run a ChkDsk on your system drive, follow the steps below:

• Using a command line, type chkdsk /f C: on an elevated command prompt.
    • Press Enter. If the system required your device to restart, restart your computer.

Let us know how it goes.

Justin Emb, May 11, 2019
  3. Disk Read Error

Ran chkdsk from XP CD in recovery mode. Said it appeared in good condition, ran with /p flag, still said it was fine. Any other suggestions?

Ben Clarke, May 11, 2019
  4. Jelo Sen Win User

chkdsk c: /F

It might be an error on the drive. We suggests that you follow the troubleshooting steps below:

• Run Disk Cleanup utility to clear your junk files.
    • Open an elevated CMD type sfc /scannow and hit Enter to run the System File Checker.
    • Once the scan is completed, restart your computer. Remember to exit ChkDsk
      during boot.
    • Next, again open CMD as admin type
      Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
      and hit Enter to repair the Windows image.
    • Now see if ChkDsk able to complete the scan.

Note: Before doing the steps, make sure you save a back up of your files.

Let us know how it goes.

Jelo Sen, May 11, 2019
Thema:

1. CHKDSK cannot continue in read-only mode - Similar Threads - CHKDSK cannot continue

2. file read only

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    file read only: Hello, A folder is suddenly read only. I have tried changing it both as a user and administrator to no avail. Is there a procedure to correct this other than change the folder name? Thanks...
  3. read only

in Windows 10 Support
    read only: Why can’t I turn read only off in w10 125112
  4. Read only Documents

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Read only Documents: Hello, all my documents in any of my Microsoft office programs are "READ ONLY" and "UPLOAD BLOCKED cannot verify necessary permissions". I haven't changed any settings or anything and all of the sudden this keeps popping up. I need help settings all Microsoft programs...
  5. Read only problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Read only problem: I just bought a new 1 terabyte external hard drive and for some reason when I try to make a new folder it say it's read only, and then when I right click on the drive (Which is my D drive) it says that it's read only. I really need help with this, is there any way I can get...
  6. Read only problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Read only problem: I just bought a new 1 terabyte external hard drive and for some reason when I try to make a new folder it say it's read only, and then when I right click on the drive (Which is my D drive) it says that it's read only. I really need help with this, is there any way I can get...
  7. Cannot boot in recovery mode. F8 not working, continues to normal mode

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot boot in recovery mode. F8 not working, continues to normal mode: On an Aseus laptop found in the dumpster on campus that was left behind from one of the students and matenience threw it out, I cannot do a factory wipe on it to remove this person's data so I can create my own login. I was told I am supposed to do this through recovery...
  8. Visual Basic 6 in read only mode

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Visual Basic 6 in read only mode: I have Visual Basic 6 Pro, Service Pack 4 on an old, spare PC loaded with Windows XP Pro which I use to run some older programmes not compatible with Win 10. It's been working away happily for around 6 years with all my other legacy programmes but I haven’t used VB on it...
  9. Read Only Error!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Read Only Error!: Hi, im a hardcore Wow player, recently i encountered a problem that wont let me play wow due to my folders not able to being write wow files on my windows 7. the was a message when ever i tried to run wow and that was "The CAS system was unable to initialize: Client...
  10. Stuck in Read Only

in Windows 10 Support
    Stuck in Read Only: After updating to Windows 10 I created a homegroup and now everything in documents is stuck in read only. It's the filled in box not the checked box. I manually uncheck the read only and it goes right back to read only. I left home group and tried unsharing folders but no...