Windows 10: CHKDSK cannot continue in read-only mode

Discus and support CHKDSK cannot continue in read-only mode in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; [ATTACH] [ATTACH]CHKDSK proves to be most helpful to fix any issue with storage, file system, and disk. But when scanning the operating system... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinClub, May 11, 2019.

1. WinClub New Member

CHKDSK cannot continue in read-only mode

CHKDSK cannot continue in read-only mode CHKDSK-cannot-continue-in-read-only-mode-1-100x100.jpg
    CHKDSK cannot continue in read-only mode CHKDSK-cannot-continue-in-read-only-mode-1-150x76.jpg CHKDSK proves to be most helpful to fix any issue with storage, file system, and disk. But when scanning the operating system partition or some external storage devices, it may throw some error. One such error is the CHKDSK cannot [...]

This post CHKDSK cannot continue in read-only mode is from TheWindowsClub.com.

read more...

WinClub, May 11, 2019

2. KB3176493 continuously fails

Hi Kevin,

To resolve your concern, we suggest that you run a ChkDsk on your system to check for hard disk errors.

To run a ChkDsk on your system drive, follow the steps below:

• Using a command line, type chkdsk /f C: on an elevated command prompt.
    • Press Enter. If the system required your device to restart, restart your computer.

Let us know how it goes.

Justin Emb, May 11, 2019
  3. Disk Read Error

Ran chkdsk from XP CD in recovery mode. Said it appeared in good condition, ran with /p flag, still said it was fine. Any other suggestions?

Ben Clarke, May 11, 2019
  4. Jelo Sen Win User

chkdsk c: /F

It might be an error on the drive. We suggests that you follow the troubleshooting steps below:

• Run Disk Cleanup utility to clear your junk files.
    • Open an elevated CMD type sfc /scannow and hit Enter to run the System File Checker.
    • Once the scan is completed, restart your computer. Remember to exit ChkDsk
      during boot.
    • Next, again open CMD as admin type
      Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
      and hit Enter to repair the Windows image.
    • Now see if ChkDsk able to complete the scan.

Note: Before doing the steps, make sure you save a back up of your files.

Let us know how it goes.

Jelo Sen, May 11, 2019
Thema:

1. CHKDSK cannot continue in read-only mode - Similar Threads - CHKDSK cannot continue

2. All files stuck in read only mode

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    All files stuck in read only mode: Recently enountered a problem where all my files are stuck in read only, so far I have:- Made sure I have permissions to edit folders through the security tab of properties- Unchecked read-only after pressing accept and reopening properties it immediately reverts back to read...
  3. All files stuck in read only mode

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    All files stuck in read only mode: Recently enountered a problem where all my files are stuck in read only, so far I have:- Made sure I have permissions to edit folders through the security tab of properties- Unchecked read-only after pressing accept and reopening properties it immediately reverts back to read...
  4. All Folders are on "read-only" mode.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    All Folders are on "read-only" mode.: All Windows 10,11, Server 2019.. folders are on read only mode. All Systems in our office. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/all-folders-are-on-read-only-mode/df794a53-a5e3-46de-a174-765d2571515e
  5. All Folders are on "read-only" mode.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    All Folders are on "read-only" mode.: All Windows 10,11, Server 2019.. folders are on read only mode. All Systems in our office. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/all-folders-are-on-read-only-mode/df794a53-a5e3-46de-a174-765d2571515e
  6. Impossible to disabled the read-only mode on a folder

in Windows 10 Customization
    Impossible to disabled the read-only mode on a folder: Impossible to disabled the read-only mode on a folder. I know it's related to the loss of administrator rights. I have the problem on my home computer and also my work computer, which are both in Windows 10 21H1 . After following the information that was given on the other...
  7. Cannot unset read-only

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot unset read-only: I am attempting to copy a custom portrait to inside my Baldur's Gate folder. It is not showing up. One of the puzzling things is that when I try to copy it again, I'm asked if I wish to overwrite the existing file--as if the copy worked the first time. However, the game...
  8. Is there a generic "read-only" mode in a browser?

in Browsers and Email
    Is there a generic "read-only" mode in a browser?: Hi I am speaking to a customer service rep at an org that I do business with. I am having an issue accessing data on a page on their site; the page tries to load, but I get an hourglass equivalent, and the page is stuck in limbo. Tried the latest FFox and Chrome. The...
  9. chkdsk cannot continue in read only mode

chkdsk cannot continue in read only mode: Trying to fix this issue. Ran chkdsk and this is what happens. Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.18362.1016] c 2019 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. C:\WINDOWS\system32>chkdsk The type of the file system is NTFS. WARNING! /F parameter not specified....
  10. Folders in Read Only Mode

Folders in Read Only Mode: Please tell me when there will be a fix to the issues of folders being in Read Only mode. I am a photographer and my photo database software is not working because of the Pictures folder being Read Only. I have tried all the suggested methods of changing the properties of...