Windows 10: CHKDSK cannot open volume for direct access

Discus and support CHKDSK cannot open volume for direct access in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; [ATTACH] [ATTACH]CHKDSK or Check Disk is a utility built inside the Windows operating systems that work to maintain the integrity of the disk connected... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinClub, Aug 10, 2019.

1. WinClub New Member

CHKDSK cannot open volume for direct access

CHKDSK cannot open volume for direct access CHKDSK-cannot-open-volume-for-direct-access-100x100.jpg
    CHKDSK cannot open volume for direct access CHKDSK-cannot-open-volume-for-direct-access-150x76.jpg CHKDSK or Check Disk is a utility built inside the Windows operating systems that work to maintain the integrity of the disk connected to a computer. It can be launched both via Graphical User Interface as well as via Command [...]

This post CHKDSK cannot open volume for direct access is from TheWindowsClub.com.

read more...

WinClub, Aug 10, 2019
  2. GC_992 Win User

chkdsk cannot open volume for direct access for new Windows 10

Hello,

I just installed a new Windows 10 on my PC with a SSD and HDD drive both attached inside the PC. After windows booted for the very first time, I was not able to detect my HDD at all, my OS runs on my SDD drive. I tried to use chkdsk and i got the error chkdsk
    cannot open volume for direct access. I have looked through the forum and tried to use EaseUS to fix this problem but still couldn't fix it. I used check partition but there was no error, even on surface test.

I am not very familiar with partitions or sectors etc and tried the ways i found online but nothing seems to work. Please help me.

Thanks,

Gerald

GC_992, Aug 10, 2019
  3. elim189 Win User
    I am receiving “Cannot open volume for direct access” error upon boot. how to fix it?

I am receiving “Cannot open volume for direct access” error upon boot. how to fix it?

The exactly error message might be similar to the following: “Cannot open volume for direct access. The type of the file system is NTFS. IFSUTIL: Can’t open drive. Status returned = c0000043. Windows has finished checking the
    disk” Or “Cannot open volume for direct access. ‘chkdsk’ is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.”

how to fix it?

elim189, Aug 10, 2019
  4. CHKDSK cannot open volume for direct access

Solution 1: Disable third-party service that might lock the device

This can be caused by a 3rd party application locking the partition such as a virus checker or disk monitor tool. At this time, you can disable the service or uninstall the software as follows.

Disable certain service in Services

1. Press “Windows” + “R” to open Run box. Input “services.msc” and hit “Enter” key to open Services.

2. Among listed services, locate the possible service that your drive right click it and choose “Properties”. In the small pop-up window, change the Startup type to Disabled and click “OK”.

3. Exit from Services, reboot the computer and try to run CHKDSK to check and fix your drive again.

Uninstall third-party software

1. Click Start button and choose “Control Panel”. Click “Programs” and “Programs and features”.

2. All installed programs on the computer are listed in this window. Right click the program that might lock the drive and choose “Uninstall”.

3. Reboot computer and check whether this issue is fixed.

Solution 2: Run chkdsk after clean boot

Clean boot is usually used to handle conflict issue among third-party services. The exact steps to perform a clean boot differ from Windows editions. You can visit Microsoft knowledge base to find the way of performing clean boot as
    per your Windows version.

Solution 3: Recover data when chkdsk cannot open volume for direct access?

Since some repair operations do harm to data stored on storage devices, you should
    backup or recover data from the disk which shows "cannot open volume for direct access". If you can open the disk and access files in it, you can just copy data to another disk; if the disk is no longer accessible, you can
    try Bitwar Data Recovery software to help you retrieve files.

For more information, please visit here: How to Fix “Cannot Open Volume for Direct Access”

Sade Wagner, Aug 10, 2019
Thema:

CHKDSK cannot open volume for direct access

1. CHKDSK cannot open volume for direct access - Similar Threads - CHKDSK cannot open

2. Chkdsk may run if this volume is dismounted first. ALL OPENED HANDLES TO THIS VOLUME WOULD...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Chkdsk may run if this volume is dismounted first. ALL OPENED HANDLES TO THIS VOLUME WOULD...: A file on my Seagate hard drive has corrupted, I have looked up for advice and one was to go to command prompt and this was the reply to chkdsk F: /f /rI'm not really sure what to do.I have been having issues ejecting the hard drive and resolved to just keep it connected as I...
  3. Chkdsk may run if this volume is dismounted first. ALL OPENED HANDLES TO THIS VOLUME WOULD...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Chkdsk may run if this volume is dismounted first. ALL OPENED HANDLES TO THIS VOLUME WOULD...: A file on my Seagate hard drive has corrupted, I have looked up for advice and one was to go to command prompt and this was the reply to chkdsk F: /f /rI'm not really sure what to do.I have been having issues ejecting the hard drive and resolved to just keep it connected as I...
  4. Direct access

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Direct access: Hvordan får jeg direct access til å virke på win10 pro, har problemer å få kontakt med Chromecast og når jeg feilsøker får jeg til svar at Direct accsess ikke er aktivert https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/direct-access/430fe9da-8afa-46fe-a0e2-2334b1ec90a3
  5. Is there a problem with Direct Access?

Is there a problem with Direct Access?: The company I work for implemented Direct Access about 2 years ago. All laptops connecting to our domain are running windows 10. The host server for direct access is a windows 2016 server. In the past I could RDP to laptops connected to the domain through Direct Access that...
  6. chkdsk cannot open volume on a drive (with errors after dban)

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    chkdsk cannot open volume on a drive (with errors after dban): One computer (LG 22v24, all-in-one) recently slowed to a crawl. It had no important data that wasn't backed up so we were going to do a clean wipe and reinstall. Using a bootable USB, I ran DBAN on the C:/ (1 gig, SCSI) and D:/ (500 gigs SATA) drives. It booted and ran,...
  7. direct memory access

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    direct memory access: just looking to find out how to enable DMAC (direct memory access controller) on windows 10 and also if there are drivers available for it? any info would be much appreciated regards: Rellik...
  8. I am receiving "Cannot open volume for direct access" error upon boot. how to fix it

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    I am receiving "Cannot open volume for direct access" error upon boot. how to fix it: I am receiving “Cannot open volume for direct access” error upon boot. how to fix it? The exactly error message might be similar to the following: “Cannot open volume for direct access. The type of the file system is NTFS. IFSUTIL: Can’t open drive. Status returned =...
  9. direct access

in Windows 10 Customization
    direct access: Does direct access work on Windows 10 Enterprise 2016 LTSB? I know it does for enterprise 2015 but cant find anything on 2016? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/direct-access/cb6d2868-1275-4499-90f6-83144f843b3c
  10. direct access

direct access: Does direct access work on Windows 10 Enterprise 2016 LTSB? I know it does for enterprise 2016 but cant find anything on 2016? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/direct-access/cb6d2868-1275-4499-90f6-83144f843b3c