Windows 10: chkdsk cannot open volume on a drive (with errors after dban)

Discus and support chkdsk cannot open volume on a drive (with errors after dban) in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; One computer (LG 22v24, all-in-one) recently slowed to a crawl. It had no important data that wasn't backed up so we were going to do a clean wipe and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by themagicbean1, Jan 25, 2019.

1. chkdsk cannot open volume on a drive (with errors after dban)

One computer (LG 22v24, all-in-one) recently slowed to a crawl. It had no important data that wasn't backed up so we were going to do a clean wipe and reinstall. Using a bootable USB, I ran DBAN on the C:/ (1 gig, SCSI) and D:/ (500 gigs SATA) drives. It booted and ran, with several errors on the D:/ drive.

We assume the D:/ drive has bad sectors that have not been repaired. (We were writing to it a lot and getting errors from some secure deletion programs, e.g., Eraser could not erase file tips.)

It would boot from a Ubuntu USB but not really run or install (boot disk confirmed working on another computer). For some reason Gparted USB boot disk would behave similarly (boot but not really run).

Using a Win 10 bootable USB, it will boot to the usb. It cannot complete repairs. If I try to install, it hangs (for days).

If I try to run chkdsk, C:/ "is not a valid entry." D:/ results in "cannot open volume or drive."

I have unplugged everything, held the power for thirty seconds, now I am rebooting. It's hanging at the manufacturer's screen.

Any way to repair the disk via a bootable usb? (Or LAN to a computer with Win 8?)

:)

themagicbean1, Jan 25, 2019
  2. newtekie1 Win User

CD drive error

1) Close all open programs
    2) Click on Start, Run, and type REGEDIT and press Enter
    3) Click on the plus signs (+) next to the following folders

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    SYSTEM
    CurrentControlSet
    Control
    Class
    {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
    4) This folder is the DVD/CD-ROM Drive Class Description in the registry. Look for any of the following names in the right hand column.

UpperFilters
    LowerFilters
    UpperFilters.bak
    LowerFilters.bak
    5) If any of the above keys shown in step 4 are listed, right-click on them and choose Delete
    6) After deleting the keys, close the Registry Editor
    7) Reboot your computer
    8) Open My Computer and check to see if your CD or DVD drives have returned. You may also want to open Device Manager and verify that the yellow exclamation and error code on the CD or DVD drive is gone.

And it likely has something to do with the emulated drive you have listed there.

newtekie1, Jan 25, 2019
  3. Jelo Sen Win User
    chkdsk c: /F

It might be an error on the drive. We suggests that you follow the troubleshooting steps below:

• Run Disk Cleanup utility to clear your junk files.
    • Open an elevated CMD type sfc /scannow and hit Enter to run the System File Checker.
    • Once the scan is completed, restart your computer. Remember to exit ChkDsk
      during boot.
    • Next, again open CMD as admin type
      Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
      and hit Enter to repair the Windows image.
    • Now see if ChkDsk able to complete the scan.

Note: Before doing the steps, make sure you save a back up of your files.

Let us know how it goes.

Jelo Sen, Jan 25, 2019
  4. cereberus Win User

chkdsk cannot open volume on a drive (with errors after dban)

DBAN instructions

You do not need to use dban unless you intend to pass device to anybody else. See tutorials section for step by setp guides to clean install windows 10.

cereberus, Jan 25, 2019
Thema:

chkdsk cannot open volume on a drive (with errors after dban)

1. chkdsk cannot open volume on a drive (with errors after dban) - Similar Threads - chkdsk cannot open

2. Cannot lock current drive, Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process

in Windows 10 News
    Cannot lock current drive, Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process: [IMG]When trying to run the command-line CHKDSK version on your Windows computer, if you receive the error Cannot lock current drive, Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process, then this post will help you. Cannot lock current drive, Chkdsk cannot run...
  3. Drive issue with errors in chkdsk

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Drive issue with errors in chkdsk: Hello, my computer threw a BSOD yesterday and stated that it was a critical system failure. My X drive is causing me issues at this point, I am thinking, because the pc is taking forever to load back up if I do a restart, and somethings like Chrome are not even able to...
  4. Drive issue with errors in chkdsk

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Drive issue with errors in chkdsk: Hello, my computer threw a BSOD yesterday and stated that it was a critical system failure. My X drive is causing me issues at this point, I am thinking, because the pc is taking forever to load back up if I do a restart, and somethings like Chrome are not even able to...
  5. DBAN

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DBAN: Should I use DBAN to wipe my computer completely? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dban/d02270aa-07c0-468c-be5a-1f6568b04b0c
  6. DBAN

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    DBAN: Should I use DBAN to wipe my computer completely? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dban/d02270aa-07c0-468c-be5a-1f6568b04b0c
  7. DBAN

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    DBAN: After I use Dban on my PC deleting everything, can I get windows back again on my computer with a USB stick that has Windows downloaded on it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dban/621265ef-112b-49f0-8d85-77f34e12b9e5
  8. CHKDSK cannot repair my drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    CHKDSK cannot repair my drive: Hello, Windows is currently detecting problems on one of my hard drive. I tried several time to repair it with the basic windows option but it is still damaged according to windows. In fact, when I try to repair and restart the computer it doesnt even seems to look for any...
  9. CHKDSK cannot open volume for direct access

in Windows 10 News
    CHKDSK cannot open volume for direct access: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]CHKDSK or Check Disk is a utility built inside the Windows operating systems that work to maintain the integrity of the disk connected to a computer. It can be launched both via Graphical User Interface as well as via Command [...] This post CHKDSK cannot...
  10. Cannot chkdsk on hard drive.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cannot chkdsk on hard drive.: I got a new hard drive and plugged it in correctly, but it locks me out. when I try to do a chkdsk in command prompt it says: "Access Denied as you do not have sufficient privileges or the disk may be locked by another process. You have to invoke this utility running in...