Windows 10: ChkDsk damages file system on SSDs

Discus and support ChkDsk damages file system on SSDs in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Windows 10 20H2: ChkDsk damages file system on SSDs with Update KB4592438 installed 170826 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Homer712, Dec 19, 2020.

1. Homer712 Win User

ChkDsk damages file system on SSDs

Homer712, Dec 19, 2020

2. Files are damaged

Hi KimberlyPeacock1.

My name is Douglas and I am an Independent Advisor.

I would like to help you.

1. Insert the USB drive to a PC or Notebook.

2. Go to the Start menu, type "cmd" in the search box, then you can see "cmd.exe" the list of programs and press Enter.

3. Click on "cmd.exe", type "chkdsk / X / f the drive letter USB" or "chkdsk the letter of USB: / f, for example" chkdsk / X / fh: "or" chkdsk h: / f "in the next command window to start repairing the damaged USB drive without formatting it.

After completing all the steps, Windows will check and repair the file system of the USB drive. It usually takes a few minutes. After that, you will see "Windows has made corrections to the file system" in the command window, it means that your USB has been
    repaired correctly and you can access the data in it.

DouglasMillar69, Dec 19, 2020
  3. Jelo Sen Win User
    chkdsk c: /F

It might be an error on the drive. We suggests that you follow the troubleshooting steps below:

• Run Disk Cleanup utility to clear your junk files.
    • Open an elevated CMD type sfc /scannow and hit Enter to run the System File Checker.
    • Once the scan is completed, restart your computer. Remember to exit ChkDsk
      during boot.
    • Next, again open CMD as admin type
      Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
      and hit Enter to repair the Windows image.
    • Now see if ChkDsk able to complete the scan.

Note: Before doing the steps, make sure you save a back up of your files.

Let us know how it goes.

Jelo Sen, Dec 19, 2020
  4. ChkDsk damages file system on SSDs

PC Build Steps

Ok just because I like steps i am going to create some steps. Please give me the stamp of approval/disapproval
    • Install system in case
      • Remember to connect SSD and optical to same SATA ports on motherboard
    • Turn on PC
    • setup HDD
    • run blend test in prime95 for 30-60 min
      • run realtemp at the same time
    • While in Prime95 test
      • if CPU goes above 70c in RealTemp, I have a leaky CPU
      • if my system locks up or blue screens, there is an instability in the system somewhere
      • if my system does not lock up or blue screen, my CPU is not damaged and I am in the clear!
    What do you guys think??

anandsap123, Dec 19, 2020
Thema:

ChkDsk damages file system on SSDs

1. ChkDsk damages file system on SSDs - Similar Threads - ChkDsk damages file

2. Will using two ssds with windows 10/11 damage computer?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Will using two ssds with windows 10/11 damage computer?: I’ve recently built a new computer and had my brother help me installing windows 11 on my new ssd. I’m a big fan of the layout but I plan on using it for games. The motherboard I’m using appears to have access to 4 ssds. I want to reuse my old computers ssd so I don’t have to...
  3. Will using two ssds with windows 10/11 damage computer?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Will using two ssds with windows 10/11 damage computer?: I’ve recently built a new computer and had my brother help me installing windows 11 on my new ssd. I’m a big fan of the layout but I plan on using it for games. The motherboard I’m using appears to have access to 4 ssds. I want to reuse my old computers ssd so I don’t have to...
  4. Does Windows cause damage to SSDs, due to "a lot of writing"?

Does Windows cause damage to SSDs, due to "a lot of writing"?: Hello. I heard that the new Windows operating systems, 10 and 11, cause a lot of writing to the disk. Since NAND flash SSDs have only a limited amount of life, and only a limited amount of information can be written and erased, I want to know will Windows damage my SSD, or...
  5. Does Windows cause damage to SSDs, due to "a lot of writing"?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Does Windows cause damage to SSDs, due to "a lot of writing"?: Hello. I heard that the new Windows operating systems, 10 and 11, cause a lot of writing to the disk. Since NAND flash SSDs have only a limited amount of life, and only a limited amount of information can be written and erased, I want to know will Windows damage my SSD, or...
  6. Corrupt or Damaged System File?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Corrupt or Damaged System File?: My Thinkpad laptop crashed, I got the BSOD. Restarting took much longer than usual, and the start button and taskbar icons are missing. What's left is very slow, and is mostly unresponsive. I can get into most files and programs through desktop shortcuts and a file manager....
  7. Corrupt or Damaged System File?

Corrupt or Damaged System File?: My Thinkpad laptop crashed, I got the BSOD. Restarting took much longer than usual, and the start button and taskbar icons are missing. What's left is very slow, and is mostly unresponsive. I can get into most files and programs through desktop shortcuts and a file manager....
  8. ChkDsk damaged file system external Intenso3T HD, now found.00

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    ChkDsk damaged file system external Intenso3T HD, now found.00: On March 14 my Fujitsu W380, running on Windows 10, had boot problems. At first it stayed in Fujitsu bootscreen, at restart It stopped at status 90 (init harddiskcontroller) for hours. After powerdown and restart it took a while, possibly with Intenso3t connected for some...
  9. ChkDsk damaged file system external Intenso3T HD, now found.00

in Windows 10 Support
    ChkDsk damaged file system external Intenso3T HD, now found.00: On March 14 my Fujitsu W380, running on Windows 10, had boot problems. At first it stayed in Fujitsu bootscreen, at restart It stopped at status 90 (init harddiskcontroller) for hours. After powerdown and restart it took a while, possibly with Intenso3t connected for some...
  10. Running ChkDsk on Windows 10 20H2 may damage the file system and cause Blue Screens

in Windows 10 News
    Running ChkDsk on Windows 10 20H2 may damage the file system and cause Blue Screens: Microsoft's newest version of Windows 10, Windows 10 20H2, appears to have a bug that may damage the file system of the Windows partition and cause blue screens during reboots. Reports suggest that running ChkDsk on these devices may damage the file system and cause blue...