Windows 10: CHKDSK errors

Discus and support CHKDSK errors in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hi, i ran the chkdsk command on command prompt and it showed that this 'Errors found. CHKDSK cannot continue in read-only mode' and the errors were -... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/SatisfactionDizzy580, Sep 28, 2020.

1. CHKDSK errors

Hi, i ran the chkdsk command on command prompt and it showed that this 'Errors found. CHKDSK cannot continue in read-only mode' and the errors were -

Index entry CACHE7~1.DB- in index $I30 of file 190D5 is incorrect

Index entry CACHE7~2.DB- in index $I30 of file 190D5 is incorrect.

Index entry CACHE~1.DB- in index $I30 of file 190D5 is incorrect.

Index entry CACHE~2.DB- in index $I30 of file 190D5 is incorrect.

What are these, how do i fix this? i ran the chkdsk without the read only too by - chkdsk /f c: but after that also these were showing.

submitted by /u/SatisfactionDizzy580
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/SatisfactionDizzy580, Sep 28, 2020
  2. Jelo Sen Win User

chkdsk c: /F

It might be an error on the drive. We suggests that you follow the troubleshooting steps below:

• Run Disk Cleanup utility to clear your junk files.
    • Open an elevated CMD type sfc /scannow and hit Enter to run the System File Checker.
    • Once the scan is completed, restart your computer. Remember to exit ChkDsk
      during boot.
    • Next, again open CMD as admin type
      Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
      and hit Enter to repair the Windows image.
    • Now see if ChkDsk able to complete the scan.

Note: Before doing the steps, make sure you save a back up of your files.

Let us know how it goes.

Jelo Sen, Sep 28, 2020
  3. Jelo Sen Win User
    chkdsk c: /F

We appreciate the response. I'm referring to Check Disk (chkdsk) utility tool. If you haven't tried yet, we suggest that you run a chkdsk by:

• Press Windows Key + X button to bring up the power user menu.
    • In the power user menu, select the Command Prompt (Admin) option.Click Yes when you are presented with a UAC window requesting permission to launch the Command Prompt as Administrator.
    • In the new Command Prompt window, type chkdsk E: /f /r /x. Here you should replace E with your drive letter.
    This option will run chkdsk to check and repair disk errors in Windows 10. The “/f” parameter tells CHKDSK to fix any errors it finds; “/r” tells it to locate the bad sectors on the drive and recover readable information; “/x” forces the drive to dismount
    before the process starts.

Keep us updated with the result.

Jelo Sen, Sep 28, 2020
  4. CHKDSK errors

NTFS Error 98, Chkdsk on every reboot

Since June 7th, on every clean start or reboot my computer initiates CHKDSK on my system drive (Western Digital SN520 SSD). In addition, a single instance of NTFS Error 98 appears in the system log which says the drive needs to be taken offline for errors.
    This CKDSK/NTFS Error 98 loop keeps happening, and will not go away. I've accomplished the following troubleshooting steps so far (in approximate order):

1. Ran "chkdsk C: /f" from an elevated command prompt window. No change.
    2. Ran chkdsk from an elevated command prompt window. No errors found.
    3. Uninstalled Norton 360, which I installed on June 7th. No change.
    4. Checked the drive health with the Western Digital SSD Dashboard. Quick and extended smart checks report the drive is healthy.
    5. Ran a Malwarebytes scan, which found a potentially unwanted application in a Firefox directory. Quarantined it. No change.
    6. Ran an offline Windows Defender scan. No findings.
    7. Reran chkdsk after all of the above. Problem persists.

Additional observations:

• The 2020-05 Cumulative Security Update for Windows 10 Version 1909 for x64-based Systems (KB84556799) update is repeatedly failing to install, with error code 0x800f0986.
      • Tried deleting the windows update download cache. Update still fails.
    • The startup list on my system has a questionable entry called "setuplauncher". I disabled this. The context menu for the entry has the Properties and Open File Location options greyed out. It appears this may be a remnant entry from BitDefender, which
      I removed in favor of Norton.

This computer is a month old and has been used responsibly... while its not system-breaking, its mildly concerning and I'm considering just reinstalling windows.

Kormonnaut, Sep 28, 2020
Thema:

CHKDSK errors

1. CHKDSK errors - Similar Threads - CHKDSK errors

2. Error: "the volume you have selected to shrink may be corrupted. Use chkdsk to fix the...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Error: "the volume you have selected to shrink may be corrupted. Use chkdsk to fix the...: Hi all,For some very specific context that may apply to the situation: I recently tried to install Linux Ubuntu onto my Windows 10 computer in order to complete some programming projects. I had just about completed the process and got to a few steps before actually...
  3. Error: "the volume you have selected to shrink may be corrupted. Use chkdsk to fix the...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Error: "the volume you have selected to shrink may be corrupted. Use chkdsk to fix the...: Hi all,For some very specific context that may apply to the situation: I recently tried to install Linux Ubuntu onto my Windows 10 computer in order to complete some programming projects. I had just about completed the process and got to a few steps before actually...
  4. Error: "the volume you have selected to shrink may be corrupted. Use chkdsk to fix the...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. I ran chkdsk C: /f /r /x and got an unspecified error 6e74667363686b2e 13d7 at stage 5....

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I ran chkdsk C: /f /r /x and got an unspecified error 6e74667363686b2e 13d7 at stage 5....: My laptop got a blue screen bad config info and now can not boot. i tried system restore but it failed. Now i tried to run chkdsk now it says "An unspecified error occurred 6e74667363686b2e 13d7 and I can't type anything anymore. should i just exit cmd?I need to recover the...
  6. I ran chkdsk C: /f /r /x and got an unspecified error 6e74667363686b2e 13d7 at stage 5....

I ran chkdsk C: /f /r /x and got an unspecified error 6e74667363686b2e 13d7 at stage 5....: My laptop got a blue screen bad config info and now can not boot. i tried system restore but it failed. Now i tried to run chkdsk now it says "An unspecified error occurred 6e74667363686b2e 13d7 and I can't type anything anymore. should i just exit cmd?I need to recover the...
  7. Chkdsk error 696e647863686b2e 552 and 6e74667363686b2e 17b4

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Chkdsk error 696e647863686b2e 552 and 6e74667363686b2e 17b4: I am working with one of my new SSDs when it started giving me some issues. It started with trying to enable over provisioning on it when I got an error saying it has a dirty volume. So I go to chkdsk it and it got up to stage 2 then stopped with these errors. I can see my...
  8. Chkdsk error 696e647863686b2e 552 and 6e74667363686b2e 17b4

Chkdsk error 696e647863686b2e 552 and 6e74667363686b2e 17b4: I am working with one of my new SSDs when it started giving me some issues. It started with trying to enable over provisioning on it when I got an error saying it has a dirty volume. So I go to chkdsk it and it got up to stage 2 then stopped with these errors. I can see my...
  9. Chkdsk error 696e647863686b2e 552 and 6e74667363686b2e 17b4

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  10. Chkdsk /r Error 696e647863686b2e 532 and 6e74667363686b2e 1798

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Chkdsk /r Error 696e647863686b2e 532 and 6e74667363686b2e 1798: Hello!I ran into a problem in the form of the fact that my computer refuses to start, loading forever. I wanted to roll back the system to the recovery point, but it gave me an error, where there was an instruction to enter the chkdsk /f command into the console. I did so,...