Windows 10: chkdsk/f command

Discus and support chkdsk/f command in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hello Microsoft. In 1976 I started writing computer software programs at Shasta College. That was prior to Microsoft or Apple. I was required to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by KathyGeorge1, Nov 27, 2020.

1. chkdsk/f command

Hello Microsoft.

In 1976 I started writing computer software programs at Shasta College. That was prior to Microsoft or Apple. I was required to write an operating system for a desktop personal computer. That was before the contest that Bill Gates, and Steve Jobs, and others won for a grant to produce and sell computer software and a box with technology that now exists.

In the past, I have used chkdsk/f to remove computer virus's. Today, I was checking my hard drive on my Hewlett Packard computer and chkdsk/f won't work. Why? I exited to dos to run the procedure and I am stopped saying I do not have authority. That is not a procedure you should have removed from individual owners of hardware. Also, I was not aware that it was illegal for me to repair my own computer. I should not have to pay you or anyone else. Since you do not own the computer command chkdsk/f

Please advise me.

Sincerely,

Kathleen M Stoppenbrink George

:)

KathyGeorge1, Nov 27, 2020
  2. Jelo Sen Win User

chkdsk c: /F

We appreciate the response. I'm referring to Check Disk (chkdsk) utility tool. If you haven't tried yet, we suggest that you run a chkdsk by:

• Press Windows Key + X button to bring up the power user menu.
    • In the power user menu, select the Command Prompt (Admin) option.Click Yes when you are presented with a UAC window requesting permission to launch the Command Prompt as Administrator.
    • In the new Command Prompt window, type chkdsk E: /f /r /x. Here you should replace E with your drive letter.
    This option will run chkdsk to check and repair disk errors in Windows 10. The “/f” parameter tells CHKDSK to fix any errors it finds; “/r” tells it to locate the bad sectors on the drive and recover readable information; “/x” forces the drive to dismount
    before the process starts.

Keep us updated with the result.

Jelo Sen, Nov 27, 2020
  3. Chkdsk /f

Hi,

The error message "Windows cannot run disk checking on this volume because it is write protected." is usually occurring if there is a write protection tab on your hard drive or the partition file system is corrupted or damaged due to malware infection or
    other unknown reasons.

For us to provide an accurate solution, we would need you to answer the following questions:

• Which build and edition of Windows 10 is installed on your computer?
    • What changes have you made to the device before this issue occurred?

For initial troubleshooting, we suggest entering the command chkdsk E: /f /r /x in Command Prompt. Take note that you should replace
    E with the drive letter for your PC's hard drive or USB drive. Once done, check if the same issue persists.

Important: While performing chkdsk on the hard drive, if any bad sectors are found when chkdsk tries to repair that sector, any data available on it might be lost.

We'll be waiting for your response.

Darleen Pen, Nov 27, 2020
  4. Jelo Sen Win User

chkdsk/f command

chkdsk c: /F

It might be an error on the drive. We suggests that you follow the troubleshooting steps below:

• Run Disk Cleanup utility to clear your junk files.
    • Open an elevated CMD type sfc /scannow and hit Enter to run the System File Checker.
    • Once the scan is completed, restart your computer. Remember to exit ChkDsk
      during boot.
    • Next, again open CMD as admin type
      Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
      and hit Enter to repair the Windows image.
    • Now see if ChkDsk able to complete the scan.

Note: Before doing the steps, make sure you save a back up of your files.

Let us know how it goes.

Jelo Sen, Nov 27, 2020
Thema:

chkdsk/f command

1. chkdsk/f command - Similar Threads - chkdsk command

2. "chkdsk /scan" is aborting due to self-healing command failure: 0xc0000102

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    "chkdsk /scan" is aborting due to self-healing command failure: 0xc0000102: Might not be relevant information but it's how I got here: It started with having an issue with File History. File History can no longer see my external hard drive. For reasons, I decided to stop file history and start it over fresh. But when I did that file history could no...
  3. I can't use the Chkdsk command; and I've enabled BitLocker, on Windows

I can't use the Chkdsk command; and I've enabled BitLocker, on Windows: Hello, I have a HP Windows 10, and I recently Used the CHKDSK Command, and it took a long time, and it finally ended. But, I followed bom omb's directions, but it says this Hard Disk is Raw, this can not be performed on RAW Drives, and I used sfc /scannow, and it did not work...
  4. Chkdsk command not working correctly.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Chkdsk command not working correctly.: After a scan it says that I have errors on my disk and it needs to be repaired. It says I have to restart to repair. Once I restart, it says click any button to stop repair. I don’t press anything, and the computer starts up again without repairing. If I scan again, it says I...
  5. Settings commands chkdsk at command prompt

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Settings commands chkdsk at command prompt: Hello, I appealed to the Microsoft community and please send me ascript containing all the settings commands chkdsk to fix the bad ssd ect… Thank you! Wait for response! A good day!...
  6. Running an HDD chkdsk command makes my screen refresh every second?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Running an HDD chkdsk command makes my screen refresh every second?: Hey guys so I've been having tons of troubles with BSODs so one last resort I thought of was running chkdsk on both my SSD and HDD. On SSD it finished with no issues at all, yet now during the D: command it keeps refreshing my desktop every second. Interestingly enough, I can...
  7. Unspecified error after chkdsk in admin command prompt

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unspecified error after chkdsk in admin command prompt: In command promt with admin, I ran "chkdsk D: /f /r /x" and at step 4, I recieved "Stage 4: Looking for bad clusters in user file data ... Windows replaced bad clusters in file 30A9 of name \Program Files x86\Steam\steamapps\depotcache\414341_depotcache_4.csd. 2056432...
  8. sfc and chkdsk commands won't work

sfc and chkdsk commands won't work: Hello, I'm having some issues with my Windows 10 installation so I decided to run the sfc command. It did not work. So according to some on line advice (www.partitionwizard.com/partitionmagic/sfc-scannow-not working.html) , I ran the chkdsk command. That command discovered...
  9. External hard drive crashing windows explorer in windows 10, command CHKDSK /P does not work

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External hard drive crashing windows explorer in windows 10, command CHKDSK /P does not work: I'm trying to format my hard drive, it is a 2TB Seagate expansion drive, and i'm unable to right click/open it because windows file explorer will crash immediately after clicking on it. I've tried to run check disk in command prompt but that does not work, and after letting...
  10. Chkdsk in command prompt

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Chkdsk in command prompt: Why does running chkdsk in command prompt as administrator in windows 10 take so long? It looks like it will take weeks. Incidentally, after around 9,000 clusters checked...