Windows 10: CHKDSK /F fails with An unspecified error occurred.

Discus and support CHKDSK /F fails with An unspecified error occurred. in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I decided to run chkdsk /f on a 1TB external usb HDD. It failed with: An unspecified error occurred (696e647863686b2e 1f66). An unspecified error... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Bree, Mar 16, 2019.

1. Bree Win User

CHKDSK /F fails with An unspecified error occurred.

I decided to run chkdsk /f on a 1TB external usb HDD. It failed with:

An unspecified error occurred (696e647863686b2e 1f66).
    An unspecified error occurred (6e74667363686b2e 1713).

CHKDSK /F fails with An unspecified error occurred. [​IMG]

....then I tried another known good external HDD, same error. Then I tried an internal partition, same error. Then I freshly formatted a usb flash drive as ntfs and checked it, same error.

Then I tried three different PCs, 1809 17763.379 (x86 and x64) and 1803 17134.648 (x86). All failed a chkdsk /f with an unspecified error on any ntfs drive I checked.

Then I tried Windows 7 and it passed the drives with a clean bill of health!

CHKDSK /F fails with An unspecified error occurred. [​IMG]

Is it me, or is Windows 10's chkdsk /f broken as far as ntfs is concerned?

PS: chkdsk WITHOUT the /f runs fine in Windows 10 on all the drives and says they are healthy.

:)

2. websrchr Win User

An unspecified error occurred by chkdsk

I didn't have access to my external Seagate 700 GB, so I got EaseUS Data Recovery and recovered the 250 GB I had used. I use Win 10.

Reformatted the drive and started copying files to it. It started the process, but it would freeze. At times, the drive would just simply disengage and the process was stopped because it could not find the drive. I did this several times, advancing slowly,
    but then I decided to check it.

I used "chkdsk f:/r" from Command prompt and it completed the five stages, but at the end, it reported:

"an unspecified error occurred (6e74667363686b2e 137a)" and

"an unspecified error occurred (6e74667363686b2e 1713)"

I have not been able to find any suggestion on what to do. Could you help, please?

websrchr, Mar 16, 2019
  3. chkdsk - An unspecified error occurred

Since I could not boot anymore I mounted an SSD into an external case and run chkdsk /f, and it comes up with:

Stage 1: Examining basic file system structure ...

333056 file records processed.

File verification completed.

21395 large file records processed.

0 bad file records processed.

Stage 2: Examining file name linkage ...

An unspecified error occurred (696e647863686b2e 532).

An unspecified error occurred (6e74667363686b2e 1713).

I'd like to know if this is a hardware problem, or what to do, since the drive is still under warranty grace period.

I can browse the file system normally, and I came to this point after running chkdsk and, following directions in the events log, chkdsk /spotfix (however it went on asking for chkdsk /f).

In case it could be relevant, I am attaching
    full log of these two attemps
    (before the one pasted on this post).

riccardo.l, Mar 16, 2019
  4. Sifu Paul Win User

CHKDSK - an unspecified error occurred (75736e6a726e6c2e 4f6)

I've got the same thing. My hard drive got an imminent failure message about a week ago and I've been trying to clone it to the new drive for the last 3 days. It keeps failing at 98% of just the C: (OS) partition. All the other ones clone fine. I've used
    CHKDSK /F and it always says my drive is fine. Today I tried using CHKDSK /R as a last resort and it started working, replacing bad clusters. Suddenly I get this same unspecified error occurred code and CHKDSK stopped.

Sifu Paul, Mar 16, 2019
Thema:

1. CHKDSK /F fails with An unspecified error occurred. - Similar Threads - CHKDSK fails unspecified

2. CHKDSK /F keeps getting an unspecified error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    CHKDSK /F keeps getting an unspecified error: I'm trying to look for bad sectors in my hard drive and ssd but it keeps giving me an error no matter how much i try to stop the errors, there are 2 errors that it keeps giving me:An unspecified error occurred 6672732e637878 969.An unspecified error occurred 6e74667363686b2e...
  3. CHKDSK /F keeps getting an unspecified error

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    CHKDSK /F keeps getting an unspecified error: I'm trying to look for bad sectors in my hard drive and ssd but it keeps giving me an error no matter how much i try to stop the errors, there are 2 errors that it keeps giving me:An unspecified error occurred 6672732e637878 969.An unspecified error occurred 6e74667363686b2e...
  4. chkdsk /f Unspecified error

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    chkdsk /f Unspecified error: Hello! i'm currently trying to do a chkdsk /f because my ssd became raw and unaccessible, i know theres a format option but i have been wait for 2 hours and almost nothing has happened, how can i fix this error i get on chkdsk?the errors i keep getting are: "An unspecified...
  5. chkdsk /f Unspecified error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    chkdsk /f Unspecified error: Hello! i'm currently trying to do a chkdsk /f because my ssd became raw and unaccessible, i know theres a format option but i have been wait for 2 hours and almost nothing has happened, how can i fix this error i get on chkdsk?the errors i keep getting are: "An unspecified...
  6. chkdsk /f Unspecified error

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. CHKDSK - an unspecified error occurred

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    CHKDSK - an unspecified error occurred: Hi everyone, I know there are a lot of threads discussing an unspecified error occurred during CHKDSK scan, but my case is quite strange. I use my external hard drive WD Passport Ultra 259D 2T on two operation systems one is my PC at home and the other at my work. I...
  8. CHKDSK /F fails with An unspecified error occurred.

in Windows 10 Support
    CHKDSK /F fails with An unspecified error occurred.: I decided to run chkdsk /f on a 1TB external usb HDD. It failed with: An unspecified error occurred (696e647863686b2e 1f66). An unspecified error occurred (6e74667363686b2e 1713). [img] ....then I tried another known good external HDD, same error. Then I tried an...
  9. chkdsk - An unspecified error occurred

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    chkdsk - An unspecified error occurred: Since I could not boot anymore I mounted an SSD into an external case and run chkdsk /f, and it comes up with: Stage 1: Examining basic file system structure ... 333056 file records processed. File verification completed. 21395 large file records processed. 0 bad...
  10. An unspecified error occurred by chkdsk

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    An unspecified error occurred by chkdsk: I didn't have access to my external Seagate 700 GB, so I got EaseUS Data Recovery and recovered the 250 GB I had used. I use Win 10. Reformatted the drive and started copying files to it. It started the process, but it would freeze. At times, the drive would just simply...