Windows 10: chkdsk /f /r E: freezes at stage

Discus and support chkdsk /f /r E: freezes at stage in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; of chkdsk said I had errors on my external hard drive and shoul run disc repair. from command prompt i ran chkdsk /f /r E: as suggested but now the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by davidelwonger, Dec 12, 2018.

1. chkdsk /f /r E: freezes at stage

of chkdsk said I had errors on my external hard drive and shoul run disc repair.

from command prompt i ran chkdsk /f /r E: as suggested

but now the process stalls at stage 4: looking for bad clusters in user file data ... Progress: 19 of 114672 done; stage: 0%; Total: 0% ETA:30:05:46 ...

what do I do now?

:)

davidelwonger, Dec 12, 2018
  2. Jelo Sen Win User

chkdsk c: /F

We appreciate the response. I'm referring to Check Disk (chkdsk) utility tool. If you haven't tried yet, we suggest that you run a chkdsk by:

• Press Windows Key + X button to bring up the power user menu.
    • In the power user menu, select the Command Prompt (Admin) option.Click Yes when you are presented with a UAC window requesting permission to launch the Command Prompt as Administrator.
    • In the new Command Prompt window, type chkdsk E: /f /r /x. Here you should replace E with your drive letter.
    This option will run chkdsk to check and repair disk errors in Windows 10. The “/f” parameter tells CHKDSK to fix any errors it finds; “/r” tells it to locate the bad sectors on the drive and recover readable information; “/x” forces the drive to dismount
    before the process starts.

Keep us updated with the result.

Jelo Sen, Dec 12, 2018
  3. Chkdsk /f

Hi,

The error message "Windows cannot run disk checking on this volume because it is write protected." is usually occurring if there is a write protection tab on your hard drive or the partition file system is corrupted or damaged due to malware infection or
    other unknown reasons.

For us to provide an accurate solution, we would need you to answer the following questions:

• Which build and edition of Windows 10 is installed on your computer?
    • What changes have you made to the device before this issue occurred?

For initial troubleshooting, we suggest entering the command chkdsk E: /f /r /x in Command Prompt. Take note that you should replace
    E with the drive letter for your PC's hard drive or USB drive. Once done, check if the same issue persists.

Important: While performing chkdsk on the hard drive, if any bad sectors are found when chkdsk tries to repair that sector, any data available on it might be lost.

We'll be waiting for your response.

Darleen Pen, Dec 12, 2018
  4. chkdsk /f /r E: freezes at stage

CHKDSK freeze

This is not strictly a BSOD. It is a solid freeze. Ctrl-Alt-Del does not break it. I have to power off.
    It happens when I run this:

rem chk.btm
    rem /F =full chkdsk repair. /R = surface check. /B = reevaluate bad clusters
    rem Put drives first that require reboot. We can deal with them quickly.

chkdsk C: /F /B /R
    chkdsk E: /F /B /R
    chkdsk F: /F /B /R
    chkdsk D: /F /B /R
    chkdsk H: /F /B /R

rem -30-

The chkdsks that run without reboot work fine. The one's deferrred to reboot hang about 11% through.

C: through F: are SSD. H: is hard disk.
    Windows 10. This worked fine with Windows 7.

RoedyGreen, Dec 12, 2018
Thema:

chkdsk /f /r E: freezes at stage

1. chkdsk /f /r E: freezes at stage - Similar Threads - chkdsk freezes stage

2. CHKDSK /F & /R query

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    CHKDSK /F & /R query: Hi everyone, I ran CHKDSK /F and then the CHKDSK /R on CMD which ran both times on system boot.These were both successful, there were no known errors and no FOUND.000 folder is available on the C drive. My question is does running these commands when there is nothing wrong...
  3. CHKDSK /F & /R query

in Windows 10 Gaming
    CHKDSK /F & /R query: Hi everyone, I ran CHKDSK /F and then the CHKDSK /R on CMD which ran both times on system boot.These were both successful, there were no known errors and no FOUND.000 folder is available on the C drive. My question is does running these commands when there is nothing wrong...
  4. chkdsk /f /r problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    chkdsk /f /r problem: I run the chkdsk /f /r it checks the c: drive then it accidentally turn off when I turn it back on its a blue screen I try everything it doesn't work https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/chkdsk-f-r-problem/e8cb42cb-d44e-43da-8c8f-3e7004d7f444
  5. chkdsk /f /r problem

chkdsk /f /r problem: I run the chkdsk /f /r it checks the c: drive then it accidentally turn off when I turn it back on its a blue screen I try everything it doesn't work https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/chkdsk-f-r-problem/e8cb42cb-d44e-43da-8c8f-3e7004d7f444
  6. CHKDSK /f /r /x stage 5

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    CHKDSK /f /r /x stage 5: HiI have a external USB disk 16TB that is currently locked by chkdsk and is in stage 5 @15% and is not stuckThe disk is a few months old.Wanted to do a check on files only and not on free space. Anyway chkdsk is now checking free space. bad, free clustersHow can I close CMD...
  7. CHKDSK /f /r /x stage 5

in Windows 10 Gaming
    CHKDSK /f /r /x stage 5: HiI have a external USB disk 16TB that is currently locked by chkdsk and is in stage 5 @15% and is not stuckThe disk is a few months old.Wanted to do a check on files only and not on free space. Anyway chkdsk is now checking free space. bad, free clustersHow can I close CMD...
  8. CHKDSK /f /r /x stage 5

9. Unknown error 6672732e637878 5e4 as chkdsk e: /f /r

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unknown error 6672732e637878 5e4 as chkdsk e: /f /r: I am getting an unknown error 6672732e637878 5e4 as i did thechkdsk e: /f /r of my Seagate Backup Plus Drive. Many thanks in advance for you help. [ATTACH] [ATTACH]...
  10. CHKDSK /f or /r not running

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    CHKDSK /f or /r not running: Hi peps. I need a little help here the chkdsk command /f and /r and also I tried /x but all I get Scanning and Repairing. Its working on my Desktop PC but its working on my Laptop both Windows 10 Verson 2004. I have looked at the Registry Editer and looked at BootExecute...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. chkdsk H: /f /r