Windows 10: Chkdsk finding bad cluster

Discus and support Chkdsk finding bad cluster in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; So I am trying to update windows, but it keeps failing over and over. Neither the cumulative update is installing, nor the 20H2 update is getting... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ArkKnight, Jun 4, 2021.

1. ArkKnight Win User

Chkdsk finding bad cluster

So I am trying to update windows, but it keeps failing over and over. Neither the cumulative update is installing, nor the 20H2 update is getting installed. So after some googling, I understood that running CHKDSK might solve the problem. So here I am trying to run CHKDSK and I am getting the following log.----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Checking file system on C:The type of the file system is NTFS.Volume label is OS.A disk check has been scheduled.Windows will now check the disk. Stage 1: E

:)

ArkKnight, Jun 4, 2021

2. Does chkdsk /b is working for bad cluster replaced file from another drive?

1. Got a fixed file from stage 4 of chkdsk like this. this is happened in drive #1.

Stage 4: Looking for bad clusters in user file data ... Windows replaced bad clusters in file 250 of name \temp\~1.mkv

2. Now ~1.mkv file is moved to another drive, drive #2.

3. If run chkdsk /b on drive #2, does chkdsk /b re-evaluate ~1.mkv file again and re-mark as fixed file because of bad cluster, and leaving messages about this on prompt? or just pass as normal file with no any messages?

Minhye Lee, Jun 4, 2021
  3. Bad clusters - automatic repair can't get into computer?

So my computer came up with automatic repair - your pc did not start correctly. I don't want to lose my files so I tried system reset, restore, startup repair, basically everything.

I ran a chkdsk command which told me that it moved 1 bad cluster to the bad cluster file and that no further action would be required. Nothing haplened.

When I tried system restore it failed and my laptop told me to run a chkdsk /R command. When I tried this it told me the file is write protected and as I can't get into my computer I can't start command prompt as an administrator so I'm stuck. I'm desperate
    not to lose my files as most aren't backed up as I was waiting to get a new memory stick.

lightenthesky, Jun 4, 2021
  4. Chkdsk finding bad cluster

Perform Upgrade of Windows Cluster & SQL Cluster from 2008 R2 to 2012 R2

I am looking to perform Upgrade of Windows cluster on which SQL cluster is running 2008 R2 and i have to upgrade the OS to 2012 R2.

Please can some one suggest or share some step by step guide which i can refer.

Thanks in Advance!!

Kumar

NiteshKumar10, Jun 4, 2021
Thema:

Chkdsk finding bad cluster

1. Chkdsk finding bad cluster - Similar Threads - Chkdsk finding bad

2. Bad Clusters on the Windows Partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bad Clusters on the Windows Partition: Yesterday, on Windows 11 Home, my laptop's screent went black all of a sudden. I already had backup, so, I inserted a Windows USB, and I formatted the partition on which Windows was installed. I reinstalled Windows 11 Pro on it. After successful installation, when I rebooted...
  3. Bad Clusters on the Windows Partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bad Clusters on the Windows Partition: Yesterday, on Windows 11 Home, my laptop's screent went black all of a sudden. I already had backup, so, I inserted a Windows USB, and I formatted the partition on which Windows was installed. I reinstalled Windows 11 Pro on it. After successful installation, when I rebooted...
  4. reparing bad clusters in an external HDD.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    reparing bad clusters in an external HDD.: I have an encrypted external HDD bitlocker. Due to badclusters, the bitlocker window hanged as soon as correct password is entered. Now somehow after repeated attempts I have managed to enter HDD. Now I am trying to repair bad clusters through chkdsk in PowerShell. Now the...
  5. reparing bad clusters in an external HDD.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    reparing bad clusters in an external HDD.: I have an encrypted external HDD bitlocker. Due to badclusters, the bitlocker window hanged as soon as correct password is entered. Now somehow after repeated attempts I have managed to enter HDD. Now I am trying to repair bad clusters through chkdsk in PowerShell. Now the...
  6. reparing bad clusters in an external HDD.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Checkdisk gives always the same report: Adding 7 bad clusters to the Bad Clusters File.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Checkdisk gives always the same report: Adding 7 bad clusters to the Bad Clusters File.: Hi all, I hope this finds you all well in these horrible days. I just run a few weeks ago a checkdisk /f /r /x /b on a secondary and otherwise healthy drive in my Toshiba laptop. It is a mechanical HDD. It gave me the following conclusion: Adding 7 bad clusters to the...
  8. chkdsk bad clusters and 0xc000021a BSOD, system boot looping prior to issue.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    chkdsk bad clusters and 0xc000021a BSOD, system boot looping prior to issue.: Hi guys, Back again with a different issue this time and I'm seeing a lot of new posts about this update bsoding with the same stop code. My fresh install of Win 10 got this update and every successful boot loads to start up repair, used cmd to chkdsk /f (found no errors) /r...
  9. Can't find chkdsk to fix a bad thumb drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can't find chkdsk to fix a bad thumb drive: When I go to the Power button, there's no "Start" option, which previous posts tell me is the beginning of "Properties" which supposedly leads me to "Tools" and miraculously leads me to "Error Checking" C'mon you guys!!! Most of us are not computer literate.. please get me...
  10. Check Disk, bad clusters

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Check Disk, bad clusters: Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.17134.523] (c) 2018 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. C:\Users\Sputh>cmd.exe Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.17134.523] (c) 2018 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. C:\Users\Sputh>chkdsk E:/f/r The type of the file system is...