Windows 10: Chkdsk Finding Major Problems

Discus and support Chkdsk Finding Major Problems in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi, I'm doing a chkdsk /b on a secondary HDD drive. The drive is a not-too-old (around 5-7 years) 1TB drive. This one seemed to be having trouble a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Matt316, Jan 11, 2021.

1. Matt316 Win User

Chkdsk Finding Major Problems

Hi,

I'm doing a chkdsk /b on a secondary HDD drive. The drive is a not-too-old (around 5-7 years) 1TB drive. This one seemed to be having trouble a couple of years ago, as I was trying to reinstall Win7 - although I wasn't certain what was causing me problems at the time. I'm now doing a re-install with Win10, and tried doing a /b test in order to eliminate bad sectors. However, the test is getting to around half way and slowing right down. As an idea of the slowness: the percentage was racing at around 1% per couple of minutes up to around 47% where it has taken all night to go to 49%. The cluster count is rising slowly, but veeerrry slowly. Does this mean that the drive is too far gone?

:)

Matt316, Jan 11, 2021

2. ChkDsk Problem at computer startup

Hi,

Please provide the answers to the following for us to be able to learn more about the issue you're experiencing:

• Are your drivers up-to-date? If not yet, you can follow the steps found on this
      link on how to update your drivers in Windows 10.
    • Have you already tried running chkdsk /f /r command in the Command Prompt to fix any errors on the disk? If not yet, here's how:
    • Right-click the Start icon, choose Command Prompt (Admin) to execute the Command Prompt window.
    • Type chkdsk /f /r, then press the Enter key from the keyboard.

If the above mentioned steps have been followed and the message still appears when booting the laptop, it would be best that you contact your laptop manufacturer as there really might be an issue with your hard drive.

You can also consider running the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter
    first before contacting your laptop manufacturer to find and repair problems with your devices and hardware. You can follow these steps to run the said troubleshooter:

• Right-click the Start icon, then select Control Panel.
    • Choose the Large icons option from the View by drop down list found on the upper-right part of the Control Panel window.
    • Locate then select Troubleshooting.
    • Click View all from the left pane.
    • Locate and click Hardware and Devices to run the troubleshooter then follow the next steps.

Let us know what happens after doing the troubleshooting steps above.

Regards.

Michelle Her, Jan 11, 2021
  3. Jelo Sen Win User
    chkdsk c: /F

It might be an error on the drive. We suggests that you follow the troubleshooting steps below:

• Run Disk Cleanup utility to clear your junk files.
    • Open an elevated CMD type sfc /scannow and hit Enter to run the System File Checker.
    • Once the scan is completed, restart your computer. Remember to exit ChkDsk
      during boot.
    • Next, again open CMD as admin type
      Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
      and hit Enter to repair the Windows image.
    • Now see if ChkDsk able to complete the scan.

Note: Before doing the steps, make sure you save a back up of your files.

Let us know how it goes.

Jelo Sen, Jan 11, 2021
  4. Sasqui Win User

Overclocking / Undervolting guide for Vega 56 or 64?

Here's a quick laundry list:

List of software to use for overclocking and testing
    Examples:
    Wattman (and how to find and use it, like an overview, including profiles)
    Unigine Valley or Heaven (use this for quick testing while changing settings in Wattman and checking for stability / artifacts) ...just suggesting this
    How to monitor cores / mem speeds and temps during testing (I've seen screen overlays, and others using GPUz)

Step-by step overclocking in Wattman
    Fan speeds
    Power limit
    Temp limit
    Voltages
    Core speeds
    Memory speeds

Sasqui, Jan 11, 2021
Thema:

1. Chkdsk Finding Major Problems - Similar Threads - Chkdsk Finding Major

2. Chkdsk problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Chkdsk problem: When I typed chkdsk /f on command prompt. I got error:"Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process".I tried 3 steps 1 I typed the command "chkdsk C: /r /x" and press the "Enter" key. From my keyboard, I clicked "Y" and then the "Enter" key. Then I...
  3. Chkdsk problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Chkdsk problem: When I typed chkdsk /f on command prompt. I got error:"Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process".I tried 3 steps 1 I typed the command "chkdsk C: /r /x" and press the "Enter" key. From my keyboard, I clicked "Y" and then the "Enter" key. Then I...
  4. Chkdsk problem

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Chkdsk finding bad cluster

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Chkdsk finding bad cluster: So I am trying to update windows, but it keeps failing over and over. Neither the cumulative update is installing, nor the 20H2 update is getting installed. So after some googling, I understood that running CHKDSK might solve the problem. So here I am trying to run CHKDSK and...
  6. GPEdit.msc can't find and need to fix major problem

in Windows 10 Customization
    GPEdit.msc can't find and need to fix major problem: Hi, I was trying to fix this error "err_connection_timed_out:" and when doing that something went wrong as now some of my apps are blocked saying the administrator has blocked me from using is. so I did some research in trying to fix this and it says to go through...
  7. Major problem.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Major problem.: Windows can't sign into my account although I have been using it for 3+years. I have tried almost every solution I could find on the internet and restarted my pc several times. It just keeps on logging me into a temporary user profile and repeats that it's unable to sign in...
  8. Major problem

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Major problem: amazon says I have been hacked by North Korea they say only micro soft can fix and they want 500 dollars what can I do please help me 112044
  9. chkdsk can't find path

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    chkdsk can't find path: when I run chkdsk or chkdsk /f, it will run on the partition/drive I have on my command prompt. IE PS C:\WINDOWS\system32>chkdsk runs on C: PS C:\WINDOWS\system32>chkdsk runs on D: PS C:\WINDOWS\system32>chkdsk /f runs on D: if I enter chkdsk c:\ or chkdsk d:\ with or...
  10. CHKDSK problem

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    CHKDSK problem: I have a two hard disk computer, with Win7 as my primary OS and Win10 installed on the secondary, totally separate HDD. When I boot into Win10 everything works fine except... that I have to run CHKDSK on all HDD (including partitions) when I want to boot again into Win7....