Windows 10: CHKDSK freeze

Discus and support CHKDSK freeze in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; This is not strictly a BSOD. It is a solid freeze. Ctrl-Alt-Del does not break it. I have to power off. It happens when I run this: rem chk.btm... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by RoedyGreen, Jul 4, 2016.

1. CHKDSK freeze

This is not strictly a BSOD. It is a solid freeze. Ctrl-Alt-Del does not break it. I have to power off.
    It happens when I run this:

rem chk.btm
    rem /F =full chkdsk repair. /R = surface check. /B = reevaluate bad clusters
    rem Put drives first that require reboot. We can deal with them quickly.

chkdsk C: /F /B /R
    chkdsk E: /F /B /R
    chkdsk F: /F /B /R
    chkdsk D: /F /B /R
    chkdsk H: /F /B /R

rem -30-

The chkdsks that run without reboot work fine. The one's deferrred to reboot hang about 11% through.

C: through F: are SSD. H: is hard disk.
    Windows 10. This worked fine with Windows 7.

:)

RoedyGreen, Jul 4, 2016
  2. Maddoc007 Win User

CHKDSK Freezes in Win10

Since upgrading to Win10, I needed to run CHKDSK and in just froze at 2% This is an older laptop which had Vista, had a clean upgrade to Win7 and then a upgrade to 10.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Jeff Z

Maddoc007, Jul 4, 2016
  3. CHKDSK Freezes in Win10

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I would suggest you try the following steps and see if it helps:

Method 1: System File Checker.

• Press Windows key + X and click on
      Command Prompt (Admin). Kindly provide the administrative password, if prompt appears.
    • Type “sfc /scannow” and hit Enter.
    • Exit Command Prompt.
    For more information about SFC Scan, click on the link below:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929833

(Steps for Windows 8.1 also applicable for Windows 10)

Method 2: Run the Disk Defragmenter.

Click on the link below and run the disk defragmenter by following the steps in the article.

Improve performance by optimizing your drive

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows-8/improve-performance-optimizing-hard-drive

(also applicable for Windows 10)

Hope this helps. Please respond if you have further related queries.

Regards,

Jesinta Rozario, Jul 4, 2016
  4. axe0 New Member

CHKDSK freeze

Hi RoedyGreen,

You only have to use the /B parameter, /B includes /R where /R includes /F

It is normal that chkdsk 'hangs' at around 5-20%, it'll spontaniously finish after giving it some time to do its job.

axe0, Jul 4, 2016
  5. I waited for perhaps 10 minutes with no progress. How long do you have to wait?

RoedyGreen, Jul 4, 2016
  6. axe0 New Member
    It depends on the size of the partition and how much chkdsk has to do, it could take several hours for chkdsk to finish.
    ~15 minutes is enough for me on 1 of my SSD partitions that is quite small and does not have much data on it.

axe0, Jul 4, 2016
  7. Thanks. What sort of nitwits would present a progress meter then stall it to simuate a crash.

RoedyGreen, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

CHKDSK freeze

1. CHKDSK freeze - Similar Threads - CHKDSK freeze

2. My SD card cannot be checked by chkdsk, nor can be formatted

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My SD card cannot be checked by chkdsk, nor can be formatted: HiWhenever I copying or sending files into my SD Card, they were not saved into the SD card.So, I tried running the chkdsk d: /f where the d is the letter assigned to my SD card, but the operation didn't compete successfully only 62 percent completed.........
  3. PC keeps freezing during download, games loading, chkdsk, e.t.c

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC keeps freezing during download, games loading, chkdsk, e.t.c: I am having this issue where my PC just completely freezes, the monitor display is frozen and the mouse won't move, I have had this issue about 3 times now but I forgot what i did to solve it, I have run an sfc scan which didn't find any integrity violations, a mdsched, which...
  4. PC keeps freezing during download, games loading, chkdsk, e.t.c

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC keeps freezing during download, games loading, chkdsk, e.t.c: I am having this issue where my PC just completely freezes, the monitor display is frozen and the mouse won't move, I have had this issue about 3 times now but I forgot what i did to solve it, I have run an sfc scan which didn't find any integrity violations, a mdsched, which...
  5. PC keeps freezing during download, games loading, chkdsk, e.t.c

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  6. chkdsk freezes, will not deal with disk errors

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    chkdsk freezes, will not deal with disk errors: Windows 7 Home Premium SP-1Laptop250 GB HD with over 200 GB free spaceYes, I know Win7 is past end-of-life. I want to use this old borrowed laptop to display disassembly videos to show me how to open up my own laptop so I can replace some parts. I just need to get this old...
  7. chkdsk freezes, will not deal with disk errors

in Windows 10 Gaming
    chkdsk freezes, will not deal with disk errors: Windows 7 Home Premium SP-1Laptop250 GB HD with over 200 GB free spaceYes, I know Win7 is past end-of-life. I want to use this old borrowed laptop to display disassembly videos to show me how to open up my own laptop so I can replace some parts. I just need to get this old...
  8. Windows keep on freezing and CHKDSK not working.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows keep on freezing and CHKDSK not working.: Hi, Have a problem that may sound familiar but would appreciate comments and help. Have an all in one Acer PC that was working fine till recently. Started playing up by freezing after 10 -15 minutes. Windows updated on regular basis. Not using 3rd party software i.e....
  9. chkdsk /f /r E: freezes at stage

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    chkdsk /f /r E: freezes at stage: of chkdsk said I had errors on my external hard drive and shoul run disc repair. from command prompt i ran chkdsk /f /r E: as suggested but now the process stalls at stage 4: looking for bad clusters in user file data ... Progress: 19 of 114672 done; stage: 0%; Total: 0%...
  10. PC Freezes at Startup (Update Loop); CHKDSK No Problems; Can't SFC

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    PC Freezes at Startup (Update Loop); CHKDSK No Problems; Can't SFC: Two nights ago I clicked on Shut Down and Install Updates before I left my house. I came home a few hours later and noticed the computer had frozen on the Shut Down screen. I then held down the power button in order to shut it down. When I turned it on after, it booted up and...