Windows 10: CHKDSK initiated every time I start Win7 on my dual boot PC

Discus and support CHKDSK initiated every time I start Win7 on my dual boot PC in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I don't go into Win7 very often since I ( well, you guys helped me a lot ) created a dual boot system with Win10, but when I do chkdsk starts to run on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by farrellart, Jul 3, 2019.

1. CHKDSK initiated every time I start Win7 on my dual boot PC

I don't go into Win7 very often since I ( well, you guys helped me a lot ) created a dual boot system with Win10, but when I do chkdsk starts to run on all my drives (x7 drives).

After that when I boot back to Win10 I get a disk repair scan and fix....What on earth is going on? and is Win7 ( on a seperate drive ) messing with the ssd with Win10 installed?

:)

farrellart, Jul 3, 2019

2. Dual Boot Win7 & Win10

Here are my steps for dual booting:

• Create a system image - store it on an external drive

• Disconnect from the Internet and stay disconnected - part of the install asks about connecting
      - do NOT connect just yet.

• Create the space for the 2nd OS.
      This is tricky - drives initialized as MBR can only have 4 partitions (an extended partition allows for more),
      many OEMs create 4 primary parts and you have to adjust their disk schema.

Post a Disk Management screen shotClose the left and right panes
      The columns should also be stretched to clearly show the values, most important is the Status column
      If you have many drives, you might have to adjust the middle separator and drag the bottom edge of the window down to show the maximum information.
      Then in the View menu, pick Top and change it to disk list - no need to post a pic - just note the initialized format (MBR | GPT) and post the information.
    • Unless the 2nd OS will be used on a daily basis, keep the space to a minimum.
      Win10 + pgms on my machine takes up about 15 GB.
      I don't use Win10TP as my main OS - that's Win8.1, so data isn't a concern.
      30 - 50 GB is more than sufficient.

• Once the space is available - take your time here - there are traps with MBR disks.
      If your disk is initialized GPT, no problem - easy! But... MBR - make sure you know what you're doing.
      Just free up enough unallocated space,
      -> do not create a partition and do not format the space.

• When you're ready to install Win10, use a disc to avoid EFI issues.
      1. Boot to the Win10 install disc (see your machine documentation on accessing the Boot Order menu at startup)

+editA
        These steps are probably NOT necessary, it was an afterthought when I installed Win10 the 3rd time as a dual boot to Vista. That is when I noticed the Win10 page file on my Vista boot drive - which caused Vista a bit of a problem (temporary page file created - yada, yada, yada) - I recreated the Win10 page file on it's own partition and then reallocated the Vista page file for good measure.

At the first Win10 install screen, Press Shift+F10
        Then enter these commands in the Console window

^^ denotes comment, not a command
        Launch Diskpart
        lis vol

^^ remove the drive letters from all drives
        ^^ it's easier if you disconnect external drives that aren't needed for this exercise.

sel vol #
        remove letter=
        ^^ specify the letter that was shown for that volume in the lis vol command
        ^^ repeat this (select volume, remove letter=) until there are no volumes with letters shown in lis vol
        lis vol
        exit
        close the Command prompt with the X in the upper right hand corner

You should be back in the Win10 install now.-editA

2. Answer the questions as if you were doing a clean installation (language, region, etc)

3. Choose a custom install
        When it asks you where you want to install, choose the unallocated space
        Let the install complete, the rest should be easy.

+editB
    When Win10 boots up, you shouldn't see any other drives - this is good.
    Configure the volumes for each OS - I suggest that you keep the two OSes separate, only expose the volumes you need to for each OS. Your Win7 should see everything except the Win10 volumes. Your Win10 should only see volumes you'll use in testing (i.e. what ever you create on the currently new and blank SSD).
    If you need data from your existing Win7 install, it's probably better to copy what you need than to expose your good data to Tech Preview code.
    -editB

When Win7 boots up, you will see the Win10 drive - remove the letter from that drive. Keep your system separate.

If at any step above you need some help, please ask ... you might have to wait, please wait. The hardest thing to do is wait and the easiest thing to do is "ooops, but I thought you meant...."

I think I remembered all of the steps I took - but... I'm human too *Wink

Slartybart, Jul 3, 2019
  3. jbb_user Win User
    Win7 / Win10 dual boot only boots to Win10

I have a home build machine with a dual partition for booting either Win7 or Win10 selectable.

The order was Win7 followed by Win10 in the menu.

The machine would always display a screen where I could select either Win7 or Win 10. If I didn't select in time the default was the first in the menu which was Win7

Starting this evening the machine no longer displays the selection menu but instead boots immediately and directly to Win10.

What's wrong?

How can I fix this so it works the original way?

jbb_user, Jul 3, 2019
  4. CHKDSK initiated every time I start Win7 on my dual boot PC

How to Clone 'dual boot' Win7/Win10 HDD to new SSD

Hi Jackos,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to create a system image of Win7/Win10 and apply it to SSD.

To create system image on Windows 10 follow the below steps.

• Type File history in the search area on the taskbar and select File history.
    • Click on System image backup on the left bottom corner of the Window file history Window.
    • Click on Create System Image on the left panel of the System Image backup windows.
    • Select the driver, where you want to create system Image.
    • Follow on screen instruction.
    If you want to perform a dual boot you can refer to the below link and check if it helps:

How to Dual Boot Windows 10 with Other Versions of Windows, macOS and Linux

Please let us know if you face any issues with Windows.

Thank you.

Divya Murugan, Jul 3, 2019
Thema:

CHKDSK initiated every time I start Win7 on my dual boot PC

1. CHKDSK initiated every time I start Win7 on my dual boot PC - Similar Threads - CHKDSK initiated every

2. chkdsk scanning and repairing every time i turn on my pc

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    chkdsk scanning and repairing every time i turn on my pc: chkdsk scanning and repairing C: every time i turn on my pc i have this message I thought it was a hard disk problem , but my computer is new also the hard disk and powerful specificationsi tried fix it with CHKDSK /F /R C: and the result is no problems found or any bad...
  3. chkdsk scanning and repairing every time i turn on my pc

in Windows 10 Gaming
    chkdsk scanning and repairing every time i turn on my pc: chkdsk scanning and repairing C: every time i turn on my pc i have this message I thought it was a hard disk problem , but my computer is new also the hard disk and powerful specificationsi tried fix it with CHKDSK /F /R C: and the result is no problems found or any bad...
  4. chkdsk scanning and repairing every time i turn on my pc

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Dual boot Win10 Win7

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dual boot Win10 Win7: Hi, Some time ago I bought a new laptop with Win10 pre-installed on it and have been trying to make my old programs work with this OS. I've found solutions for most of them but for a couple (a database and some old games) it doesn't seem possible to make them run on Win10....
  6. CHKDSK initiated every time I start Win7 on my dual boot PC

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    CHKDSK initiated every time I start Win7 on my dual boot PC: I don't go into Win7 very often since I ( well, you guys helped me a lot ) created a dual boot system with Win10, but when I do chkdsk starts to run on all my drives (x7 drives). After that when I boot back to Win10 I get a disk repair scan and fix....What on earth is going...
  7. I have a dual boot with win7 & 10.

I have a dual boot with win7 & 10.: Well I started to use the crappy one {10} since you aren't going to support your best product ever. Well as soon as I got using it for first time it crashed. And now I can't get either os to work. And I also forget how to change the command prompt. And what drive will my...
  8. Win10+Win7 dual boot issue

Win10+Win7 dual boot issue: Dear all, I hope I have not missed a thread with a similar problem: I had Win10 installed on drive C: with the boot loader on drive D: (where I previously had my old Win10 installation). I wanted to add Win7 to my PC and formated drive D: - I totally forgot that I had the...
  9. Dual Boot Win7/Win10

Dual Boot Win7/Win10: Reloaded factory software on Dell XPS laptop Win7. Created additional partition for Win10. Installed Win10 iso from boot to the separate partition. Previously labeled C drive as Win7 and D drive as Win10. Default boot is Win7. Works fine. On the boot screen I choose Win10....
  10. Dual Boot Win7 & Win10

Dual Boot Win7 & Win10: I used the ISO (64bit) burnt to DVD, changed boot order to install and installed to a new 250GB HDD, setup was about 15 mins and the dual boot works great, Windows 10 installed fine and Windows 7 has not been affected and runs as normal *Biggrin 2010