Windows 10: Chkdsk instantly completes, does not do anything

Discus and support Chkdsk instantly completes, does not do anything in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I am running a dualboot setup with Linux Mint 19.1 and Windows 10. Recently, I've started to notice that some of the files on my Windows partition have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by ethanwdp, Mar 16, 2019.

1. ethanwdp Win User

Chkdsk instantly completes, does not do anything

I am running a dualboot setup with Linux Mint 19.1 and Windows 10. Recently, I've started to notice that some of the files on my Windows partition have corrupted (so far I've only seen 3 corrupt files in Event Viewer, none of which are important).
    (It's also worth noting that a couple of days ago I received a notification that went something to the effect of "Restart computer to fix problems with drive", which ran chkdsk after I rebooted and had the same problem)
    When I reboot into Windows chkdsk starts normally and silently exits a few seconds after the input countdown ends, then boots into the login screen. It doesn't even show the percentage. According to Event Viewer it checks 2/3 of the NTFS partitions on my drive (which are only a few hundred megabytes each), but does not check the primary 900GB partition. It's also not doing anything for the corruption, as the corrupted files are still there and cannot be deleted through the GUI or CMD. My drive is a five month old WD Blue WDS100T2B0A 1TB SSD.

:)

ethanwdp, Mar 16, 2019
  2. Jelo Sen Win User

chkdsk c: /F

It might be an error on the drive. We suggests that you follow the troubleshooting steps below:

• Run Disk Cleanup utility to clear your junk files.
    • Open an elevated CMD type sfc /scannow and hit Enter to run the System File Checker.
    • Once the scan is completed, restart your computer. Remember to exit ChkDsk
      during boot.
    • Next, again open CMD as admin type
      Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
      and hit Enter to repair the Windows image.
    • Now see if ChkDsk able to complete the scan.

Note: Before doing the steps, make sure you save a back up of your files.

Let us know how it goes.

Jelo Sen, Mar 16, 2019
  3. 3Colors Win User
    Windows Updated(16299.309).KB4088776 Restart is required to complete.

Hi dalchina. Good news, I followed your suggestion and reinstalled the update and now it appears as "installed correctly" *Biggrin Maybe it was not necessary to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter or maybe if necessary. But using it I do not think it could have worsened something. The installation was very fast, unlike the first time it showed step 1 and step 2 completed.

Thanks for the suggestions and for the time to respond Chkdsk instantly completes, does not do anything :) Best regards.

And thanks for the tip of that program, I'll have it on my list.

3Colors, Mar 16, 2019
  4. Chkdsk instantly completes, does not do anything

Windows could not complete the installation

A bad sector can be one of the factors why this issue occurs. To assist you with your concern, we suggest that you remove your hard drive and connect it to a working PC. Once done, you can follow these steps on how to run
    chkdsk in your PC. CHKDSK is a Windows utility that can check the integrity of your hard disk and can fix various file system errors. To do this, follow the steps below:

• In the Search box, type Command Prompt.
    • Right-click on the Command Prompt and select
      Run as Administrator.
    • Once the User Account Control window pops up, click
      Yes
    • Type the command below and press Enter:

chkdsk /f /r
    If you have successfully completed chkdsk on the surface of your hard drive. You may connect it to your PC and attempt to continue the installation of the update.

Note: It will take some time to finish the process when running
    chkdsk.

Feel free to post back for an update and let us know if you need more help.

Eileen Gal, Mar 16, 2019
Thema:

Chkdsk instantly completes, does not do anything

1. Chkdsk instantly completes, does not do anything - Similar Threads - Chkdsk instantly completes

2. chkdsk seems stuck and not doing anything.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    chkdsk seems stuck and not doing anything.: I have a external drive with A LOT of bad sectors on it, it is connected by a sata to usb connector. I ran chkdsk F: /f /r and it failed so I added /x and it seemed to get on much better but has been stuck on 10% for the past hour and is at stage 2 of the process. Now, on my...
  3. chkdsk seems stuck and not doing anything.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    chkdsk seems stuck and not doing anything.: I have a external drive with A LOT of bad sectors on it, it is connected by a sata to usb connector. I ran chkdsk F: /f /r and it failed so I added /x and it seemed to get on much better but has been stuck on 10% for the past hour and is at stage 2 of the process. Now, on my...
  4. chkdsk seems stuck and not doing anything.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. chkdsk instantly completes when restarting

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    chkdsk instantly completes when restarting: While playing a game, my pc froze and I had to power it off forcefully. Subsequent restarts showed the chkdsk process initiating at boot with the usual countdown frame in case I want to skip it. When it finishes, the chkdsk process that usually shows progress within 3 stages...
  6. Chkdsk not completing on reboot

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Chkdsk not completing on reboot: Over the last several months, all three of my computers have failed to properly complete a chkdsk c: /f command on the reboot. The process is to open command prompt as an administrator, type chkdsk c: /f and then y for it to run the next time the computer is booted. After a...
  7. What does "chkdsk c: /b" exactly do?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    What does "chkdsk c: /b" exactly do?: I did a Google search and the explanations were esoteric to me. Are repairs to the hard drive done and are the repairs permanent? 131780
  8. Anyone with CHKDSK expertise? Do I have anything to worry about?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Anyone with CHKDSK expertise? Do I have anything to worry about?: For those with CHKDSK expertise, are there any concerns with below report? What would have caused this check? Checking file system on C: The type of the file system is NTFS. One of your disks needs to be checked for consistency. You may cancel the disk check, but it is...
  9. Anyone with CHKDSK expertise? Do I have anything to worry about?

in Windows 10 Support
    Anyone with CHKDSK expertise? Do I have anything to worry about?: For those with CHKDSK expertise, are there any concerns with below report? What would have caused this check? Checking file system on C: The type of the file system is NTFS. One of your disks needs to be checked for consistency. You may cancel the disk check, but it is...
  10. FCU does not do anything

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    FCU does not do anything: After downloading and running Windows10Upgrade9252.exe i get this screen and nothing else: [img] Checking Task Manager shows no CPU , no I/O, and no network activity. So I hit Exit. I did get a Windows10Upgrade directory with lots of stuff on my C: drive, but I am...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. chkdsk /f windows 10 does seam to be doing anything