Windows 10: Chkdsk Logs Partition?

Discus and support Chkdsk Logs Partition? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Recently I've decided to clean out my Lenovo hard drive from 4 years ago. I noticed Several OEM partitions taking up lots of space( 75GB in total.) So... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Shmueldabomb441, Aug 8, 2019.

1. Chkdsk Logs Partition?

Recently I've decided to clean out my Lenovo hard drive from 4 years ago. I noticed Several OEM partitions taking up lots of space( 75GB in total.) So after I deleted a few, there remained one which was only 350 MB which I was not able to do anything with( when I right-clicked on the partition in disk manager, the only option which came up was "Help",) and was in between this 75 GB of unallocated space and my primary boot partition. What this means is,(to my knowledge,)you can only extend your primary boot partition into unallocated space if the unallocated space is represented immediately to the right of the boot partition in Windows Disk Manager.

So, I changed the partition (in cmd) to a "Basic Data Partition"(using the GUID code/label). Inside of this partition, I found the logs(results) of chkdsk (checkdisk) commands I had run 4 years ago. I figured I would move this to my boot partition temporarily, delete the partition with cmd, assimilate the 75 GB into my boot partition, and then recreate the OEM partition which this was stored on( I figured it was important that it be there.) However, I was not sure what GUID(partition type code) to use to switch it back to the proper type of OEM partition so that windows would know to put the chkdsk logs there. Does anyone know what it is? P.S. If you read this, please just post in the replies that you read it, even if you don't have the answer.

:)

Shmueldabomb441, Aug 8, 2019
  2. W1zzard Win User

W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, Aug 8, 2019
  3. How do I run CHKDSK on EFI System Partition?

On Windows, I used DISKPART to assign the EFI System partition a letter. Fired up DISKPART, and typed LIST DISK to find the disk, followed by SELECT DISK <N> (where is the drive number). Followed the same steps to find the proper partition (i.e. LIST PARTITION followed by SELECT PARTITION <N>), and then simply typed ASSIGN LETTER = X to have Windows mount the partition to letter X.

Then opened CMD with administrative access. Ran CHKDSK X: /f /r

Then, I tried installing Ubuntu once again, and it installed successfully!

Benedict Florance, Aug 8, 2019
  4. Jelo Sen Win User

Chkdsk Logs Partition?

chkdsk c: /F

It might be an error on the drive. We suggests that you follow the troubleshooting steps below:

• Run Disk Cleanup utility to clear your junk files.
    • Open an elevated CMD type sfc /scannow and hit Enter to run the System File Checker.
    • Once the scan is completed, restart your computer. Remember to exit ChkDsk
      during boot.
    • Next, again open CMD as admin type
      Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
      and hit Enter to repair the Windows image.
    • Now see if ChkDsk able to complete the scan.

Note: Before doing the steps, make sure you save a back up of your files.

Let us know how it goes.

Jelo Sen, Aug 8, 2019
Thema:

Chkdsk Logs Partition?

1. Chkdsk Logs Partition? - Similar Threads - Chkdsk Logs Partition

2. CHKDSK Report

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    CHKDSK Report: Can you explain me the chkdsk results of my HDD? What is the condition of my hard drive? Checking file system on C: The type of the file system is NTFS. A disk check has been scheduled. Windows will now check the disk. Stage 1: Examining basic...
  3. CHKDSK

CHKDSK: I have a problem/question about CHKDSK. (I'm running Windows 10 Home) The background is that my previous laptop failed and seems to have corrupted the hard drive (the laptop's recovery process claimed to find a restore point, but didn't improve anything). So I got a new...
  4. chkdsk Error

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    chkdsk Error: Hi! I can't access my D: hardrive, I updated it and all of a sudden I can't access it anymore so I tried chkdsk and I got this error [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/chkdsk-error/fdf1bc86-ccbf-491e-93d0-8e2c55f76b42"
  5. CHKDSK freeze

CHKDSK freeze: This is not strictly a BSOD. It is a solid freeze. Ctrl-Alt-Del does not break it. I have to power off. It happens when I run this: rem chk.btm rem /F =full chkdsk repair. /R = surface check. /B = reevaluate bad clusters rem Put drives first that require reboot. We can...
  6. Faster chkdsk?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Faster chkdsk?: Windows 10 Pro, 5820 running at 4.5 GHz and so on.. I have a couple Seagate 3TB Barracuda 7200 rpm drives that ONLY get used for backups. One of them started throwing errors, and after doing a chkdsk (a very LONG chkdsk) it was usable again and has been working for several...
  7. chkdsk trouble

chkdsk trouble: Hello all , I don't know if this is the right forum , but here goes . i'v been using Windows 7 for quite a while now , these last 2 weeks when I start-up I always seem to have to do a chkdsk . I had a version of Windows 10 x64 on another disk - drive , so I thought I would...
  8. I want to run chkdsk /r on an unlabeled partition

I want to run chkdsk /r on an unlabeled partition: This is a new problem this week on my home based HP Pavilion PC, after months of smooth operation. Windows 10, 64 bit, and generally dependable... almost as stable as Win 7 was *Rolleyes According to Macrium Reflect free, when I try to run an image, I have an error 10 and...
  9. What CHKDSK exactly logging and 'flashing' messages on prompt?

What CHKDSK exactly logging and 'flashing' messages on prompt?: [img] This is the screen just before exiting chkdsk. There were bad sectors on the disk. In that case some files, I heard, could be deleted when chkdsk is executed with /r switch, so I turned it off in haste. As you see, chkdsk didn't leave any messages that it deleted or...
  10. Read Chkdsk Log in Event Viewer in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Read Chkdsk Log in Event Viewer in Windows 10: Hello Shawn mate Ihave just run two chkdsk’s on the 10 partition boot drive on thisdual boot machine and it takes probably less than 30 seconds tocomplete. Another thing thathas me concerned is that there is no record of wininit in the logsand Filter Current log is...