Windows 10: Chkdsk not completing on reboot

Discus and support Chkdsk not completing on reboot in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Over the last several months, all three of my computers have failed to properly complete a chkdsk c: /f command on the reboot. The process is to open... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by mschmieg, Nov 19, 2020.

1. mschmieg Win User

Chkdsk not completing on reboot

Over the last several months, all three of my computers have failed to properly complete a chkdsk c: /f command on the reboot. The process is to open command prompt as an administrator, type chkdsk c: /f and then y for it to run the next time the computer is booted. After a reboot, the computer runs chkdsk on the c: drive and reports that scanning and repairing is 100% complete and then stops. The little circle rotates, but it never restarts as it previously did. They have been allowed to run for hours without any action. The only way to complete the process is to turn off the power and turn it back on at which point it says again that scanning and repairing is 100% complete and it then goes into Windows.

All three systems are running Windows 10 Pro, 20h2, and all three are using an SSD as the boot drive. Two of them are running UEFI drives and one is running a SATA SSD. This all started with the September Cumulative Update and all three machines started it at the same time, though the machines are all different. The machines are a Dell XPS 8930 with a Samsung 760 EVO Plus set to ACHI, a Dell 5482 with a Crucial P1 set to ACHI, and a Dell Studio 1737 antique with a Samsung 860 set to ACHI.

This is not a critical problem, but it is a bit irritating now and then.

:)

mschmieg, Nov 19, 2020
  2. Jelo Sen Win User

chkdsk c: /F

It might be an error on the drive. We suggests that you follow the troubleshooting steps below:

• Run Disk Cleanup utility to clear your junk files.
    • Open an elevated CMD type sfc /scannow and hit Enter to run the System File Checker.
    • Once the scan is completed, restart your computer. Remember to exit ChkDsk
      during boot.
    • Next, again open CMD as admin type
      Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
      and hit Enter to repair the Windows image.
    • Now see if ChkDsk able to complete the scan.

Note: Before doing the steps, make sure you save a back up of your files.

Let us know how it goes.

Jelo Sen, Nov 19, 2020
  3. 3Colors Win User
    Windows Updated(16299.309).KB4088776 Restart is required to complete.

Hi dalchina. Good news, I followed your suggestion and reinstalled the update and now it appears as "installed correctly" *Biggrin Maybe it was not necessary to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter or maybe if necessary. But using it I do not think it could have worsened something. The installation was very fast, unlike the first time it showed step 1 and step 2 completed.

Thanks for the suggestions and for the time to respond Chkdsk not completing on reboot :) Best regards.

And thanks for the tip of that program, I'll have it on my list.

3Colors, Nov 19, 2020
  4. Vinodh.V Win User

Blue Screens Of Death Windows 10

Hi,

We would suggest you to initiate check disc and this will resolve the problem.

To initiate check disc, refer to the below steps:

• Click start search cmd, right click and select run as administrator.
    • This will open command prompt and type the below command:
    CHKDSK /R /F

• Once the disc check is complete, reboot the computer.
    Hope this information helps.

Vinodh.V, Nov 19, 2020
Thema:

1. Chkdsk not completing on reboot - Similar Threads - Chkdsk completing reboot

2. CHKDSK and Reboot Wants BitLocker pw - STUCK!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    CHKDSK and Reboot Wants BitLocker pw - STUCK!: Bought a Crucial 2.5" SSD 1TB to replace the slow HHD 1TB Tried to clone the drive using Macrium Reflect free. It was all going well until errors occurred during the cloning process. I stopped the process and then started a chkdsk /f which I understood would find errors and...
  3. WINDOWS 10 - chkdsk not running after reboot

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    WINDOWS 10 - chkdsk not running after reboot: I am on Windows 10.When I use chkdsk it says there are problems but it cant repair them in read-only mode because I use my pc and the C driver I guess, so I do a command to plan the chkdsk during the reboot.When I run chkdsk on my C driver, it tells me I can't use it right...
  4. chkdsk instantly completes when restarting

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    chkdsk instantly completes when restarting: While playing a game, my pc froze and I had to power it off forcefully. Subsequent restarts showed the chkdsk process initiating at boot with the usual countdown frame in case I want to skip it. When it finishes, the chkdsk process that usually shows progress within 3 stages...
  5. NTFS Error 98, Chkdsk on every reboot

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    NTFS Error 98, Chkdsk on every reboot: Since June 7th, on every clean start or reboot my computer initiates CHKDSK on my system drive Western Digital SN520 SSD. In addition, a single instance of NTFS Error 98 appears in the system log which says the drive needs to be taken offline for errors. This CKDSK/NTFS...
  6. Chkdsk seems to have stopped before complete

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Chkdsk seems to have stopped before complete: I am running chkdsk P: /r on a new 8TB internal drive before putting it in service. I just noticed in the command prompt window, it seems to have stopped. The progress and ETA are not changing. I think it has been that way for at least 2 hours. I opened disk management,...
  7. Chkdsk seems to have stopped before complete

in Windows 10 Support
    Chkdsk seems to have stopped before complete: I am running chkdsk P: /r on a new 8TB internal drive before putting it in service. I just noticed in the command prompt window, it seems to have stopped. The progress and ETA are not changing. I think it has been that way for at least 2 hours. I opened disk management,...
  8. Chkdsk instantly completes, does not do anything

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Chkdsk instantly completes, does not do anything: I am running a dualboot setup with Linux Mint 19.1 and Windows 10. Recently, I've started to notice that some of the files on my Windows partition have corrupted (so far I've only seen 3 corrupt files in Event Viewer, none of which are important). (It's also worth noting that...
  9. Is rebooting during chkdsk safe?

Is rebooting during chkdsk safe?: Around 9PM EDT, I started running chkdsk /r on Windows 10. It's been over 2.5 hours and it's stuck at 11%. I am going to sleep around 1:30 to 2AM. Is it safe to reboot if chkdsk is still running? 92673
  10. chkdsk c: \r stalls on reboot

chkdsk c: \r stalls on reboot: HP HP Pavilion Desktop PC 570-pOXX Windows 10 Home (X64) Version 1703 (build 15063.483) I encountered strange behavior in a couple of programs and thought it might be time for a repair. So I issued chkdsk c: \r which makes an automatic reboot. The reboot went ok and the...