Windows 10: Chkdsk not scanning Boot drive

Discus and support Chkdsk not scanning Boot drive in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Every time I restart my computer in order to run chkdsk, to scan and repair my boot drive, it will say "Scanning and repairing...". There will never be... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by HunterCarlson, Aug 17, 2020.

1. Chkdsk not scanning Boot drive

Every time I restart my computer in order to run chkdsk, to scan and repair my boot drive, it will say "Scanning and repairing...". There will never be a percent to indicate progress, it will just continue rebooting after about 5 seconds.

If the recommended path is wipe my boot drive and reinstall windows, I would appreciate a justification to do so, since I have no problems what so ever with my pc just an error on my drive.

:)

HunterCarlson, Aug 17, 2020
  2. Jelo Sen Win User

chkdsk c: /F

It might be an error on the drive. We suggests that you follow the troubleshooting steps below:

• Run Disk Cleanup utility to clear your junk files.
    • Open an elevated CMD type sfc /scannow and hit Enter to run the System File Checker.
    • Once the scan is completed, restart your computer. Remember to exit ChkDsk
      during boot.
    • Next, again open CMD as admin type
      Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
      and hit Enter to repair the Windows image.
    • Now see if ChkDsk able to complete the scan.

Note: Before doing the steps, make sure you save a back up of your files.

Let us know how it goes.

Jelo Sen, Aug 17, 2020
  3. After latest updates (early Dec.) on reboot comp starts "scanning and repairing drive (GChkdsk not scanning Boot drive :)" hard drive

Hi Steve,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience caused to you, we will help you with this issue.

I suggest you to Run check disk (chkdsk) and check if it helps.

Chkdsk: The Chkdsk (Check Disc) scan will try to identify and repair bad sectors found on the hard drive. Any data present on these sectors might be lost in the process. The computer can also go into a no boot state. Proceed
    at your own risk.

Please follow the steps below to run Chkdsk:

• Press Windows key from the keyboard to open
      Start screen.

• Click on This PC and right-click on the drive in question (Drive that you need to repair).

• Select the Tools tab.

• In the Error-checking area, click <Check Now>.

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of this issue, we will be happy to help you further.

Deepika Gowda, Aug 17, 2020
  4. Chkdsk not scanning Boot drive

Restart does not boot back error: please enter system drive and press enter

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

I suggest you to run Check Disk which performs an analysis of the disk. Refer to the steps below:

• Press Windows key + X.
    • Click on Command prompt (Admin).
    • Type chkdsk /f and hit enter.
    NOTE: The root drive has to be C: and the command may schedule a task at the system startup, if it does, then press
    Y to schedule a task and restart the computer to perform chkdsk.

Important: While performing chkdsk on the hard drive if any bad sectors are found on the hard drive when chkdsk tries to repair that sector if any data available on that might be lost.

If issue still persists, I suggest you to run SFC scan.

System File Checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files.

Run the System File Checker (SFC) scan to fix any corrupted files. Follow these steps:

https://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833?wa=wsignin1.0

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Giridhar J, Aug 17, 2020
Thema:

Chkdsk not scanning Boot drive

1. Chkdsk not scanning Boot drive - Similar Threads - Chkdsk scanning Boot

2. Chkdsk stuck scanning USB

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Chkdsk stuck scanning USB: Hi there...I recently had an issue with a usb that wasn’t letting me open folders or files that was inside it, so I tried to fix it using chkdsk d: /f in CMD but it has like 11 hours saying “90 percent completed”. I have looking for info to see if that is a normal time or if...
  3. Chkdsk stuck scanning USB

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Chkdsk stuck scanning USB: Hi there...I recently had an issue with a usb that wasn’t letting me open folders or files that was inside it, so I tried to fix it using chkdsk d: /f in CMD but it has like 11 hours saying “90 percent completed”. I have looking for info to see if that is a normal time or if...
  4. Chkdsk stuck scanning USB

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. CHKDSK Scan

in Windows 10 Gaming
    CHKDSK Scan: I wanted to run a chkdsk c: /r /scan /perf on my Windows becouse i thought i had corrupted files. Before this happened i was turning on my Llaptop and it took me to Automatic Repair Tools where it said i need to recoved my files, i told it to try again about 5 Times but it...
  6. CHKDSK Scan

CHKDSK Scan: I wanted to run a chkdsk c: /r /scan /perf on my Windows becouse i thought i had corrupted files. Before this happened i was turning on my Llaptop and it took me to Automatic Repair Tools where it said i need to recoved my files, i told it to try again about 5 Times but it...
  7. CHKDSK Scan

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  8. I cant scan my drive with chkdsk

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I cant scan my drive with chkdsk: Hi , i just heard of chkdsk and how useful it is so i tried to run it with powershell adminbut i get a error in middle of the scan : An unspecified error occurred 766f6c756d652e63 470please note that this is not a system drive and its a separated hard drive from the ssd that...
  9. I cant scan my drive with chkdsk

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I cant scan my drive with chkdsk: Hi , i just heard of chkdsk and how useful it is so i tried to run it with powershell adminbut i get a error in middle of the scan : An unspecified error occurred 766f6c756d652e63 470please note that this is not a system drive and its a separated hard drive from the ssd that...
  10. I cant scan my drive with chkdsk