Windows 10: Chkdsk oddity

Discus and support Chkdsk oddity in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; By chance checked diskpart commands on PS and found warnings regarding both USB drives (one a micro-SD). Code: PS C:\windows\system32> Get-Volume... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Superfly, Oct 28, 2015.

1. Superfly Win User

Chkdsk oddity

By chance checked diskpart commands on PS and found warnings regarding both USB drives (one a micro-SD).

Code: PS C:\windows\system32> Get-Volume DriveLetter FileSystemLabel FileSystem DriveType HealthStatus OperationalStatus SizeRemaining Size ----------- --------------- ---------- --------- ------------ ----------------- ------------- ---- D FAT32 Removable Warning Full Repair Needed 3 GB 3.69 GB K PARAGON FAT32 Removable Warning Full Repair Needed 6.85 GB 7.34 GB[/quote] Then ran chkdsk - but it reported no errors.
    Went ahead and ran the repair options anyway - still no errors found

Code: PS C:\windows\system32> .\chkdsk.exe /f /r k: The type of the file system is FAT32. Volume Serial Number is 3EA8-6180 Windows is verifying files and folders... File and folder verification is complete. Windows is verifying free space... Free space verification is complete. Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems. No further action is required. 7 696 396 KB total disk space. 0 KB in 1 hidden files. 41 KB in 71 folders. 511 621 KB in 113 files. 7 184 733 KB are available. 512 bytes in each allocation unit. 15 392 793 total allocation units on disk. 14 369 467 allocation units available on disk.[/quote] Yet it did repair the filesystem anyway.

Code: PS C:\windows\system32> Get-Volume DriveLetter FileSystemLabel FileSystem DriveType HealthStatus OperationalStatus SizeRemaining Size ----------- --------------- ---------- --------- ------------ ----------------- ------------- ---- D FAT32 Removable Healthy OK 3 GB 3.69 GB K PARAGON FAT32 Removable Healthy OK 6.85 GB 7.34 GB[/quote] Just a heads up... to check these before creating install media etc then running into problems etc.

:)

Superfly, Oct 28, 2015
  2. John Sarc Win User

Explorer oddities

Hi,

You can try to run
    System File Checker
    , for possible resolution.

Let us know how it goes.

John Sarc, Oct 28, 2015
  3. Explorer oddities

Chkdsk oddity [​IMG]

I found THIS in my user folder yesterday. It disappeared an hour ago even though my PC has been on for the entire time. I'm referring to the blank... thing in case anyone's wondering. I could not use the LMB, RMB, or Enter key while my cursor is over the
    area on the monitor the file resides even in programs that are over it and/or fullscreen.

wut?

018d6395-16fc-4d79-8c07-82494c7aa97c, Oct 28, 2015
  4. Chkdsk oddity

Didn't have any worries here! The first two were made by the MC tool and afterwards had to use UltraISO for the combination 32/64 Pro flash drive since that runs about 5.6gb while the first two made up for both flavors were 4gb. Both the MC tool and UltraISO reformat automatically before writing to the flash drive making prepping a flash drive ahead of time unnecessary.

If prompted when going to use the UltraISO program there's also the separate format option with that being to Fat32. I tested that on flash drives that had previously been reformatted to remove the factory Fat32 for NTFS and found them changed to Fat32.

For the SD card in the cell phone however I might have call for a reformat there at some point. The phone can take snapshots as well as short video clips and sees files like the snapshots moved from the onboard over to the SD card there. Once everything is retrieved that would likely be wiped clean.

As for the report of no errors found and yet still seeing a repair done you applied the repair and fix commands in the command structure where the Disk Check tool then automatically fixed something whether it was needed or not. The tool probably overlooked a minor disk error or corrupted file and saw that either replaced if MS or removed. unless partialy fragmented as the most commonly seen.

Night Hawk, Oct 28, 2015
  5. Cliff S New Member
    Craig were they, maybe pulled out without using safe to remove(right click eject) before? Could it be the SVI needed pairing then?

Cliff S, Oct 28, 2015
  6. eLPuSHeR Win User
    That's weird. I checked mine from PS and everything showed OK.

eLPuSHeR, Oct 28, 2015
  7. Superfly Win User
    Yup,probably... they were working fine subsequently though...just weird the way chkdsk and Windows sees it.

Superfly, Oct 29, 2015
  8. Cliff S New Member

Chkdsk oddity

Sometimes for one reason or another, one of my cheapy thumb drives acts up(I always-right-click-eject from the tile) and I just open - properties - tools - check for errors and it "fixes it", maybe it was just chance that diskpart caught it.

Cliff S, Oct 29, 2015
  9. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

At times W10 has trouble handling older USB thumb drives ands UEFI bios.

For example: I invariably get retry error on block xxx on all my old Sandisk Cruzer (U3) drives in a UEFI PC and Win 10, not so on a Bios PC and Win10. All of the Sandisk thumb drives are sound, not a single bad block after 10 years of daily use.

Furthermore W10 shows the same drive letter twice for all of my thumb drives in this UEFI PC. Regardless the version of W10 I run. Regardless what thumb drive or USB port. I suspect this is hardware related but no clue what his could be.
    Put a removable drive in a USB port and voila, two identical drive letters for the same device. The second drive letter slightly more to the left when viewed in explorer.
    Put in a Scsi pen drive or a HDD or SSD via the same port and all is normal. Really strange.

Anyway, I guess that's another topic entierely. *Wink

fdegrove, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Chkdsk oddity

1. Chkdsk oddity - Similar Threads - Chkdsk oddity

2. My SD card cannot be checked by chkdsk, nor can be formatted

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My SD card cannot be checked by chkdsk, nor can be formatted: HiWhenever I copying or sending files into my SD Card, they were not saved into the SD card.So, I tried running the chkdsk d: /f where the d is the letter assigned to my SD card, but the operation didn't compete successfully only 62 percent completed.........
  3. My SD card cannot be checked by chkdsk, nor can be formatted

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My SD card cannot be checked by chkdsk, nor can be formatted: HiWhenever I copying or sending files into my SD Card, they were not saved into the SD card.So, I tried running the chkdsk d: /f where the d is the letter assigned to my SD card, but the operation didn't compete successfully only 62 percent completed.........
  4. My SD card cannot be checked by chkdsk, nor can be formatted

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. can I safely assign a drive letter to an EFI partition to run a chkdsk on that partition on...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    can I safely assign a drive letter to an EFI partition to run a chkdsk on that partition on...: I have a backup image creation program that gets an error when I try to create an image:Cluster Run Error: Cluster Run Short - Error - 21, and it want me to run a chkdsk /r. I did and it didn't help. I contacted the software company, and they said I have a FAT32 partition EFI...
  6. can I safely assign a drive letter to an EFI partition to run a chkdsk on that partition on...

can I safely assign a drive letter to an EFI partition to run a chkdsk on that partition on...: I have a backup image creation program that gets an error when I try to create an image:Cluster Run Error: Cluster Run Short - Error - 21, and it want me to run a chkdsk /r. I did and it didn't help. I contacted the software company, and they said I have a FAT32 partition EFI...
  7. Unexpected error while running CHKDSK command.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unexpected error while running CHKDSK command.: Hi,I ran into an error, specifically An unspecified error occurred 6672732e637878 60f. while executing the CHKDSK command. Can someone tell me what is the error and how to fix it? The CHKDSK command doesn't seem to work....
  8. Unexpected error while running CHKDSK command.

Unexpected error while running CHKDSK command.: Hi,I ran into an error, specifically An unspecified error occurred 6672732e637878 60f. while executing the CHKDSK command. Can someone tell me what is the error and how to fix it? The CHKDSK command doesn't seem to work....
  9. CHKDSK stuck on 100%

in Windows 10 Gaming
    CHKDSK stuck on 100%: Hello , I have WIN 11 , I was trying to download a large game , however an error message appeared that i might have an unreadable sectors on my external HD WD - MY BOOK EXFAT. so naturally i tried to scan the hard drive , however it got stuck so I downloaded an app Minitool...
  10. CHKDSK stuck on 100%

CHKDSK stuck on 100%: Hello , I have WIN 11 , I was trying to download a large game , however an error message appeared that i might have an unreadable sectors on my external HD WD - MY BOOK EXFAT. so naturally i tried to scan the hard drive , however it got stuck so I downloaded an app Minitool...