Windows 10: CHKDSK on 1TB WD Passport external hard drive

Discus and support CHKDSK on 1TB WD Passport external hard drive in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi - could an external hard drive get damaged when CHKDSK is running and the computer is shutdown is performed from the Start menu or by pressing the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by skinow, Dec 22, 2020.

1. skinow Win User

CHKDSK on 1TB WD Passport external hard drive

Hi - could an external hard drive get damaged when CHKDSK is running and the computer is shutdown is performed from the Start menu or by pressing the power button?

Background:

I suspect a process was running when a 1T WD passport with 670 GB of data became disconnected from a PC running Windows 10 with latest updates. Subsequently, I received an "I/O error" message when trying to open a subfolder2 of a file structure of [root\subfolder1.1\subfolder2.2020]; but was able to open and read a file from [root\subfolder1\subfolder2.2019].

I tried to write to [root\subfolder1.2] and received the following detail message that was also logged in evntvwr:

Chkdsk was executed in scan mode on a volume snapshot.

Checking file system on F:

Stage 1: Examining basic file system structure...

Attribute record of type 0x80 and instance tag 0x3 is cross linked

starting at 0x14f3fdc for possibly 0x9 clusters.

Found corrupt basic file structure for "\subfolder1.2\filename" <0x11,0x3bcce>"

was not able to send command for self-healing due to lack of memory.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stage 1: Examining basic file system structure...

Some clusters occupied by attribute of type 0x80 and instance tag 0x3

starting at 0x14f3fdc for possibly 0x9 clusters.

Found corrupt basic file structure for "\subfolder1.2\filename" <0x11,0x3bcce>"

was not able to send command for self-healing due to lack of memory.

in file 0x3bcce is already in use.

Deleting corrupt attribute record 0x80, ""

from file record segment 0x3BCCE.

"chkdsk /scan" is aborting due to self-healing command failure; 0xc0000102

"chkdsk /f" will be required to repair the volume"

The following action was taken:

0. open windows explorer

1. select the drive to access the shortcut menu

2. click on properties > tools > check

3. "you don't need to scan the drive" and an option "to scan the drive" was displayed

4. select "scan the drive"

5. " windows can't repair the drive while it's in use" and option to select "repair now", "repair on next restart", or "cancel was displayed

6. "scanning and repairing" dialog box was displayed

7. "scanning and repairing" dialog box with a green progress bar of about 33% was displayed.

8. 24-36 hours later the green progress bar disappeared.

9. 72 hours has passed and the drive continues to be accessed.

Analysis:

1. My understanding is there are CHKDSK consists of 5 stages

2. If the analyze/fix rate is 2GB/hour, CHKDSK will complete in 10 weeks from the time of "i/o error"

Next Steps:

1. From the Start Menu, power down the computer to stop CHKDSK from running on the 1TB WD Passport.

2. If #1 doesn't work execute force shutdown pressing power button

3. Wait until...???

Any advise is greatly appreciated >> thank you!

Skinow.

:)

skinow, Dec 22, 2020
  2. LSPER Win User

My WD Passport external hard drive won't open

My WD Passport external hard drive won't open. It's listed in device manager and in the properties is listed as "working properly".

LSPER, Dec 22, 2020
  3. Windows 10 not finding WD passport external hard drive

Windows 10 not finding WD passport external hard drive

shirleylambertXR, Dec 22, 2020
  4. CHKDSK on 1TB WD Passport external hard drive

my external hard drivedoes not get recognised .its my passport by WD

whenever i connect my external hard drive (My Passport WD) ,it does not show up,though its listed in the list of devices and apparently is uptodate and working properly.

VidyaKamathHR, Dec 22, 2020
Thema:

CHKDSK on 1TB WD Passport external hard drive

1. CHKDSK on 1TB WD Passport external hard drive - Similar Threads - CHKDSK 1TB Passport

2. WD My passport External drive 1tb is shown as not initialized in disk management and it is...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WD My passport External drive 1tb is shown as not initialized in disk management and it is...: I'm using windows 11 and windows 10 laptops. I have a wd external hard drive 1tb capacity which was working without any problems. Few days back I remove it from the devices and printers window because the safe to remove disk option in the system tray was failing to eject it...
  3. WD My passport External drive 1tb is shown as not initialized in disk management and it is...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WD My passport External drive 1tb is shown as not initialized in disk management and it is...: I'm using windows 11 and windows 10 laptops. I have a wd external hard drive 1tb capacity which was working without any problems. Few days back I remove it from the devices and printers window because the safe to remove disk option in the system tray was failing to eject it...
  4. Computer not recognizing new WD My Passport 2tb external hard drive.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer not recognizing new WD My Passport 2tb external hard drive.: I need help with an external hard drive not working on my laptop computer. The external drive is a WD My Passport 2tb. I'm running Windows 11. I am not a computer literate when it comes to something not working right out of the box. I did try several "hacks" recommended on...
  5. CHKDSK on 1TB WD Passport external hard drive see Updates below

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    CHKDSK on 1TB WD Passport external hard drive see Updates below: Hi - could an external hard drive get damaged when CHKDSK is running and the computer is shutdown is performed from the Start menu or by pressing the power button? Background: I suspect a process was running when a 1TB WD passport with 670 GB of data became disconnected...
  6. WD My Passport 1TB External Harfd Drive.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    WD My Passport 1TB External Harfd Drive.: When I try to set up the WD Apps I get a message " This app can't run on your PC. " I am trying to restore files to a new PC. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wd-my-passport-1tb-external-harfd-drive/6ac13f82-25ef-47f3-b04d-8a2c40efd026
  7. WD My passport External hard drive not working

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    WD My passport External hard drive not working: The name and bar showing up shows fine, but when I try to download something it automatically goes to the C:/original hard drive. It ends up saying disk space full because my disk space on C:/ is full. How do I set up My Passport so it can take in files?...
  8. My WD Passport external hard drive won't open

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    My WD Passport external hard drive won't open: My WD Passport external hard drive won't open. It's listed in device manager and in the properties is listed as "working properly". https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-wd-passport-external-hard-drive-wont-open/dac92589-6d55-43ae-a9b0-6e14014b17d8
  9. My WD Passport external hard drive won't open

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    My WD Passport external hard drive won't open: I've tried all of the recommendations posted and none have worked. What else can I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-wd-passport-external-hard-drive-wont-open/4cb1db83-c269-4d71-8fe2-e7c9e11a1155
  10. WD My Passport external hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    WD My Passport external hard drive: I am CONSTANTLY prompted to Re-Connect my Backup harddrive bc some files did not backup. I try to look at files but cant open and the files are tiny. SHOULD I BE WORRIED ABOUT TROJAN FILES ? Are they old orphan files from some uninstalled app. I KNOW, a list of files and...