Windows 10: chkdsk on boot drive won't run at startup

Discus and support chkdsk on boot drive won't run at startup in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I am trying to image my boot hard drive in order to migrate the data to an ssd. The backup software (Macrium Reflect) first checks the file system, but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by rhhollin, Dec 12, 2020.

1. rhhollin Win User

chkdsk on boot drive won't run at startup

I am trying to image my boot hard drive in order to migrate the data to an ssd. The backup software (Macrium Reflect) first checks the file system, but reports an "MFT corrupt error", and indicates to run chkdsk c: /r to fix the issue. I opened power shell and attempted to run chkdsk c: /r, but of course as its a boot drive, it says it can't lock the drive and do I want to have chkdsk run after the next re-start. I indicate Yes, and then restart the PC. As expected, during boot up I get a message saying the disk check will run in like 10 seconds and it counts down. The count down reaches zero and a message indicates that it is starting the scan and repair process. However, after a few seconds, the screen goes black and a normal Windows reboot occurs. I have tried running this over ten times with various combinations of chkdsk c: /f /r /x and the result is almost always the same. Only one time did it actually start to scan the disk, but as it is a lengthy process I let it run overnight and the next morning windows 10 had restarted. I went to check the event log to see what chkdsk had done, and there was no log, almost as if it stopped and rebooted without finishing the chkdsk process.

I am running Windows 10, version 2004, OS Build 19041.685, installed 11/20/2020. The PC is a Dell XPS 8300 with a core i-5 processor and 8 GB of RAM. The hard drive is a 1 TB drive.

Messages on this forum indicated that there was a similar problem in the early 2017 time frame after a Windows update, but that it was fixed in the next release.

Any suggestions on how to solve this are appreciated.

:)

rhhollin, Dec 12, 2020
  2. Avedis53 Win User

Can't get GPU-Z to start with Windows 8.1 startup

I'm not sure how to do that. Could you list the steps for a noob?

Avedis53, Dec 12, 2020
  3. Jelo Sen Win User
    chkdsk c: /F

It might be an error on the drive. We suggests that you follow the troubleshooting steps below:

• Run Disk Cleanup utility to clear your junk files.
    • Open an elevated CMD type sfc /scannow and hit Enter to run the System File Checker.
    • Once the scan is completed, restart your computer. Remember to exit ChkDsk
      during boot.
    • Next, again open CMD as admin type
      Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
      and hit Enter to repair the Windows image.
    • Now see if ChkDsk able to complete the scan.

Note: Before doing the steps, make sure you save a back up of your files.

Let us know how it goes.

Jelo Sen, Dec 12, 2020
  4. tops Win User

Skype won´t wok in 17063

Skype Won´t work... games won´t work...

Making backup and re-format...

Maybe I Install a Windows 7 again, At least, all of my games run smoothly ...Sadness!!

*Banghead

Thema:

1. chkdsk on boot drive won't run at startup - Similar Threads - chkdsk boot drive

2. chkdsk /f is not running on startup. C drive error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    chkdsk /f is not running on startup. C drive error: System Info:Windows 10 Home Version 22H2C: Drive - Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 500GBIssues: Blue screen crashErrors found in C: driveAttempted Fixes:"chkdsk /f" command attempted multiple times via powershell, windows 10 system notification, and C: drive device propertiesWhen...
  3. chkdsk /f is not running on startup. C drive error

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    chkdsk /f is not running on startup. C drive error: System Info:Windows 10 Home Version 22H2C: Drive - Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 500GBIssues: Blue screen crashErrors found in C: driveAttempted Fixes:"chkdsk /f" command attempted multiple times via powershell, windows 10 system notification, and C: drive device propertiesWhen...
  4. chkdsk /f is not running on startup. C drive error

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. PC won't boot, drive not visible after chkdsk

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    PC won't boot, drive not visible after chkdsk: So I got a cheap 10tb drive, and decided to run a chkdsk /r /f on it. It estimated around 80 hours to completion, but it froze at about 18 hours remaining. I Ctrl-C'd it, and closed the command prompt window. I tried to re-mount / format it in computer management, but it...
  6. PC won't boot, drive not visible after chkdsk

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC won't boot, drive not visible after chkdsk: So I got a cheap 10tb drive, and decided to run a chkdsk /r /f on it. It estimated around 80 hours to completion, but it froze at about 18 hours remaining. I Ctrl-C'd it, and closed the command prompt window. I tried to re-mount / format it in computer management, but it...
  7. PC won't boot, drive not visible after chkdsk

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. chkdsk won't run on restart, and drive errors still found

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    chkdsk won't run on restart, and drive errors still found: I checked my c: drive yesterday and it told me it had an error. we restarted it multiple times and only reached the part where it says "to skip disk checking, press any key within 5 seconds" then nothing else happened afterwards, just the normal restart. I saw another post...
  9. Does anyone notice this when running CHKDSK on the boot drive?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Does anyone notice this when running CHKDSK on the boot drive?: Very simple - In a Command Prompt: CHKDSK C: /F /V OS says it will complete upon reboot. Starts at that time and does not cleanly complete - circle with dots never ends. Have to force a hard shutdown and then boot back up to the desktop. Ideas? 178857
  10. Chkdsk running on every boot for ssd drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Chkdsk running on every boot for ssd drive: Pc randomly restarted by itself a few nights ago and ever since chkdsk runs on every boot for my ssd drive. Wondering if this is something to be concerned about or if chkdsk is now scheduled automatically to run every time? Because there are no issues and pc seems to be...