Windows 10: Chkdsk /r reports insufficient space to repair master file table

Discus and support Chkdsk /r reports insufficient space to repair master file table in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; While windows update was running, net dropped which caused my pc to hang. I had to power off and on, not booting up. I tried using rescue usb to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ArunK4, Sep 28, 2020.

1. ArunK4 Win User

Chkdsk /r reports insufficient space to repair master file table

While windows update was running, net dropped which caused my pc to hang. I had to power off and on, not booting up. I tried using rescue usb to troubleshoot. Following are the problems

Refresh your pc says "drive where windows is installed is locked . Unlock drive and try again "

Advanced option -> startup repair says " startup repair could not repair your pc "

From command prompt I ran chkdsk c: /r

No bad sectors or other errors

Reports " insufficient space to repair master file table"

OS windows 10

Please help

Arun

:)

ArunK4, Sep 28, 2020

2. chkdsk fails at stage 3 with insufficient space error message

update: I have now 65GB free space disk, and still the stage 3 of chkdsk complains about insufficient disk space.

That is more than half of the disk of free space.

update 2: I found now that

file 9 is the $Secure metafile in the MFT (master file table).

Does anybody know of a way to (re)build that $Secure file without chkdsk (since chkdsk can't do it in my case)

thanks

meidlmarkus, Sep 28, 2020
  3. kirubel Win User
    Windows cannot recover master file table. CHKDSK aborted.

I get this error message when I try to fix a hard drive that have not accessible problem with CHKDSK Command anyone have a solution

C:\Windows\system32>chkdsk H: /F
    The type of file system is NTFS.
    Corrupt master file table. Windows will attempt to recover
    master file table from disk.
    Windows cannot recover master file table. CHKDSK aborted.

kirubel, Sep 28, 2020
  4. Chkdsk /r reports insufficient space to repair master file table

The master file table's (MFT) BITMAP attribute is incorrect.

CHKDSK C: reports the following:

The master file table's (MFT) BITMAP attribute is incorrect.

The Volume Bitmap is incorrect.

Windows has checked the file system and found problems.

Please run chkdsk /scan to find the problems and queue them for repair.

After running CHKDSK C: /scan I ran CHKDSK C: again and got the same result as above.

It seems CHKDSK cannot resolve the master file table's (MFT) BITMAP attribute error.

How do I fix the MFT bitmap error?

James Mannion, Sep 28, 2020
Thema:

Chkdsk /r reports insufficient space to repair master file table

1. Chkdsk /r reports insufficient space to repair master file table - Similar Threads - Chkdsk reports insufficient

2. chkdsk report

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    chkdsk report: hey so i ran a chkdsk and thn i searched for the logs so can u tell me is there any problem or not by seeing the logs:Log Name: ApplicationSource: Windows Error Reporting Date: 18-12-2021 15:31:22 Event ID: 1001 Task Category: None Level: Information Keywords: Classic User:...
  3. chkdsk report

in Windows 10 Gaming
    chkdsk report: hey so i ran a chkdsk and thn i searched for the logs so can u tell me is there any problem or not by seeing the logs:Log Name: ApplicationSource: Windows Error Reporting Date: 18-12-2021 15:31:22 Event ID: 1001 Task Category: None Level: Information Keywords: Classic User:...
  4. chkdsk report

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. chkdsk /r failure

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    chkdsk /r failure: Win 10 ver 2004 When running a Windows Image it gave me a message that it detected bad clusters. I opened a cmd prompt and ran chkdsk /r. It was in Stage 4 with 2 hours left when it rebooted on its own. At the log in screen it showed the usual username, but would not...
  6. Master File Table ($MFT) size and speed

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Master File Table ($MFT) size and speed: Hello. Is there any relation to access speed and $MFT size? I am wondering because when you have one big partition only (C drive) the $MFT can grow pretty huge. I have seen $MFT sizes ranging from 600 to 1000MB in size. Is the $MFT loaded all the time in memory? Does its...
  7. Windows cannot recover master file table. CHKDSK aborted.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows cannot recover master file table. CHKDSK aborted.: I get this error message when I try to fix a hard drive that have not accessible problem with CHKDSK Command anyone have a solution C:\Windows\system32>chkdsk H: /F The type of file system is NTFS. Corrupt master file table. Windows will attempt to recover master file...
  8. CHKDSK Report

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    CHKDSK Report: Can you explain me the chkdsk results of my HDD? What is the condition of my hard drive? Checking file system on C: The type of the file system is NTFS. A disk check has been scheduled. Windows will now check the disk. Stage 1: Examining basic...
  9. The master file table's (MFT) BITMAP attribute is incorrect.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    The master file table's (MFT) BITMAP attribute is incorrect.: CHKDSK C: reports the following: The master file table's (MFT) BITMAP attribute is incorrect. The Volume Bitmap is incorrect. Windows has checked the file system and found problems. Please run chkdsk /scan to find the problems and queue them for repair. After running...
  10. Help with TestDisk, fixing master file table

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Help with TestDisk, fixing master file table: My laptop crashed last week and it seems to have messed up the hard drive. Chkdsk says the master file table is corrupted and Windows couldn't recover it, so I wanted to try using TestDisk to repair it since I've read other people have had success with that. But when I go to...