Windows 10: CHKDSK ruined my drive

Discus and support CHKDSK ruined my drive in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; My hard drive was failing. I bought a new one and transferred all the data using some free utliity from internet. Few bad blocks were found during... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Roman Maltsev, Jun 5, 2019.

1. CHKDSK ruined my drive

My hard drive was failing. I bought a new one and transferred all the data using some free utliity from internet. Few bad blocks were found during copying.

Then I mounted a new drive (with the copy) and ran CHKDSK on it. It found and fixed dozens of errors (I did not keep the log), but everything seemed to be fine. Repeated execution of CHKDSK did not find ane more errors.

Finally, I ran CHKDSK /X /F /R /B, so it would recover the space marked as bad on the old failing drive. At the end of that operation, CHKDSK exited with an error and drive is not recognized any more (something about failed MFT copies).

Fortunately, I kept the log this time:

---

Этап 4. Поиск поврежденных кластеров в данных пользовательских файлов...

Ход выполнения: готово 801135 из 1257968; стадия: 63%; всего: 62%; ETA: 1:05:20

A disk read error occurredc00000b5

Недостаточно места на диске для замены поврежденных кластеров /* not enough space to replace bad clusters */,

обнаруженных в файле C3980 под именем \PROGRA~2\Android\ANDROI~1\SYSTEM~1\ANDROI~2\GOOGLE~1\x86\system.img.

Ход выполнения: готово 801136 из 1257968; стадия: 63%; всего: 62%; ETA: 1:05:11 .

Ход выполнения: готово 1037867 из 1257968; стадия: 82%; всего: 68%; ETA: 0:59:38 ...

Недостаточно места на диске для замены поврежденных кластеров,

обнаруженных в файле FD65E под именем \Windows\assembly\NATIVE~1.507\EVENTV~1\B3DEF2~1\EVENTV~1.DLL.

Ход выполнения: готово 1037902 из 1257968; стадия: 82%; всего: 68%; ETA: 0:59:35

Ход выполнения: готово 1167525 из 1257968; стадия: 92%; всего: 74%; ETA: 0:51:26 .

обнаруженных в файле 11D0BE под именем \PROGRA~2\MICROS~3.0\VC\lib\amd64\msvcurt.lib.

Ход выполнения: готово 1167534 из 1257968; стадия: 92%; всего: 74%; ETA: 0:51:26 ..

Ход выполнения: готово 1255337 из 1257968; стадия: 99%; всего: 77%; ETA: 0:45:20 ...

обнаруженных в файле 1327C8 под именем \PROGRA~3\MICROS~1\MICROS~2\DEFINI~1\Backup\mpavdlta.vdm.

Ход выполнения: готово 1255352 из 1257968; стадия: 99%; всего: 77%; ETA: 0:45:21

Ход выполнения: готово 14037754 из 14037754; стадия: 100%; всего: 100%; ETA: 0:00:00

Обработано свободных кластеров: 14037754.

Проверка свободного места на диске завершена.

Возникла неопределенная ошибка (6e74667363686b2e 14b4).

Возникла неопределенная ошибка (6e74667363686b2e 1713).

---

There were few read errors in the process (the error code stands for timeout, probably related to USB port the drive was connected to), but nothing criminal I guess.

What happened? Why the MFT crashed after CHKDSK? What do the final error codes mean?

:)

Roman Maltsev, Jun 5, 2019
  2. tfwul Win User

How to stop chkdsk on an external drive?

Up front: I was wrong to start a chkdsk on an large external drive. Reason was/is, I could not delete an empty folder and some site recommended run chkdsk.

Assuming it would be over and done with, within -say- an hour or so I started it. Much to my regret.
    It is says it'll take more than a day now.

Any suggestions as to how to safely stop it.
    Some say that probably only a few files might be ruined. It is no problem because I have copies of all files on different other drives, restoring wouldn't be too much problem.

But if the entire drive is completely ruined...

Is there a way to safely stop it, with a minimum on damaged files then?

Thanks.

tfwul, Jun 5, 2019
  3. Jelo Sen Win User
    chkdsk c: /F

It might be an error on the drive. We suggests that you follow the troubleshooting steps below:

• Run Disk Cleanup utility to clear your junk files.
    • Open an elevated CMD type sfc /scannow and hit Enter to run the System File Checker.
    • Once the scan is completed, restart your computer. Remember to exit ChkDsk
      during boot.
    • Next, again open CMD as admin type
      Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
      and hit Enter to repair the Windows image.
    • Now see if ChkDsk able to complete the scan.

Note: Before doing the steps, make sure you save a back up of your files.

Let us know how it goes.

Jelo Sen, Jun 5, 2019
  4. Jelo Sen Win User

CHKDSK ruined my drive

chkdsk c: /F

We appreciate the response. I'm referring to Check Disk (chkdsk) utility tool. If you haven't tried yet, we suggest that you run a chkdsk by:

• Press Windows Key + X button to bring up the power user menu.
    • In the power user menu, select the Command Prompt (Admin) option.Click Yes when you are presented with a UAC window requesting permission to launch the Command Prompt as Administrator.
    • In the new Command Prompt window, type chkdsk E: /f /r /x. Here you should replace E with your drive letter.
    This option will run chkdsk to check and repair disk errors in Windows 10. The “/f” parameter tells CHKDSK to fix any errors it finds; “/r” tells it to locate the bad sectors on the drive and recover readable information; “/x” forces the drive to dismount
    before the process starts.

Keep us updated with the result.

Jelo Sen, Jun 5, 2019
Thema:

CHKDSK ruined my drive

1. CHKDSK ruined my drive - Similar Threads - CHKDSK ruined drive

2. Drive issue with errors in chkdsk

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Drive issue with errors in chkdsk: Hello, my computer threw a BSOD yesterday and stated that it was a critical system failure. My X drive is causing me issues at this point, I am thinking, because the pc is taking forever to load back up if I do a restart, and somethings like Chrome are not even able to...
  3. I cant scan my drive with chkdsk

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I cant scan my drive with chkdsk: Hi , i just heard of chkdsk and how useful it is so i tried to run it with powershell adminbut i get a error in middle of the scan : An unspecified error occurred 766f6c756d652e63 470please note that this is not a system drive and its a separated hard drive from the ssd that...
  4. I cant scan my drive with chkdsk

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I cant scan my drive with chkdsk: Hi , i just heard of chkdsk and how useful it is so i tried to run it with powershell adminbut i get a error in middle of the scan : An unspecified error occurred 766f6c756d652e63 470please note that this is not a system drive and its a separated hard drive from the ssd that...
  5. I cant scan my drive with chkdsk

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. CHKDSK cannot repair my drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    CHKDSK cannot repair my drive: Hello, Windows is currently detecting problems on one of my hard drive. I tried several time to repair it with the basic windows option but it is still damaged according to windows. In fact, when I try to repair and restart the computer it doesnt even seems to look for any...
  7. One Drive just ruined my File Explorer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    One Drive just ruined my File Explorer: How do I undo this? Now there is a "status" bar I can't remove, I have a bunch of pics I don't want with dumb green checkmarks on it, and a stupid cloud on the task bar. Can someone tell me how to undo this stupid shit submitted by /u/EmeraldEyeKing [link] [comments]...
  8. Chkdsk not scanning Boot drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Chkdsk not scanning Boot drive: Every time I restart my computer in order to run chkdsk, to scan and repair my boot drive, it will say "Scanning and repairing...". There will never be a percent to indicate progress, it will just continue rebooting after about 5 seconds. If the recommended path is wipe my...
  9. Can chkdsk /r ruin an SSD?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can chkdsk /r ruin an SSD?: I accidentally ran chkdsk /r on my SSD. I know it's not good to do it on an SSD, so I force shut down the computer while it was doing the check. It booted back up but was acting weird, so I restarted it. The my PC got caught in a BSOD NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM stop code boot loop....
  10. One Drive Ruined My Life

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    One Drive Ruined My Life: I don't know how to express my feelings towards One Drive. I have purchased my beautiful Laptop on November 2018, it is 1,5 years old. I have an 256 gb SSD drive on C, 2 TB HDD on E. I have a few games and some other programs on both of them. like all sims games+...