Windows 10: chkdsk: stage 2 an unexpected error occurred

Discus and support chkdsk: stage 2 an unexpected error occurred in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; hello i ran disk defragmentation on my external HDD 3.6 TB after that next time i plugged it it failed to read on win 10 2004, and instead of volume... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by MohitTrivedi, Aug 21, 2020.

1. chkdsk: stage 2 an unexpected error occurred

hello i ran disk defragmentation on my external HDD 3.6 TB

after that next time i plugged it it failed to read on win 10 2004,

and instead of volume label shows only 'local disk', doesn't even shows the storage bar.

and chdsk shows:

Stage 1: Examining basic file system structure ...

35328 file records processed.

File verification completed.

Phase duration File record verification: 5.37 minutes.

18558 large file records processed.

Phase duration Orphan file record recovery: 0.00 milliseconds.

0 bad file records processed.

Phase duration Bad file record checking: 0.61 milliseconds.

Stage 2: Examining file name linkage ...

An unspecified error occurred 696e647863686b2e 532.

An unspecified error occurred 6e74667363686b2e 1798.

the data is important, can i be able to recover it?

please help.

:)

MohitTrivedi, Aug 21, 2020

2. chkdsk - An unspecified error occurred

Since I could not boot anymore I mounted an SSD into an external case and run chkdsk /f, and it comes up with:

Stage 1: Examining basic file system structure ...

333056 file records processed.

File verification completed.

21395 large file records processed.

0 bad file records processed.

Stage 2: Examining file name linkage ...

An unspecified error occurred (696e647863686b2e 532).

An unspecified error occurred (6e74667363686b2e 1713).

I'd like to know if this is a hardware problem, or what to do, since the drive is still under warranty grace period.

I can browse the file system normally, and I came to this point after running chkdsk and, following directions in the events log, chkdsk /spotfix (however it went on asking for chkdsk /f).

In case it could be relevant, I am attaching
    full log of these two attemps
    (before the one pasted on this post).

riccardo.l, Aug 21, 2020
  3. websrchr Win User
    An unspecified error occurred by chkdsk

I didn't have access to my external Seagate 700 GB, so I got EaseUS Data Recovery and recovered the 250 GB I had used. I use Win 10.

Reformatted the drive and started copying files to it. It started the process, but it would freeze. At times, the drive would just simply disengage and the process was stopped because it could not find the drive. I did this several times, advancing slowly,
    but then I decided to check it.

I used "chkdsk f:/r" from Command prompt and it completed the five stages, but at the end, it reported:

"an unspecified error occurred (6e74667363686b2e 137a)" and

"an unspecified error occurred (6e74667363686b2e 1713)"

I have not been able to find any suggestion on what to do. Could you help, please?

websrchr, Aug 21, 2020
  4. chkdsk: stage 2 an unexpected error occurred

chkdsk /f /r E: freezes at stage

of chkdsk said I had errors on my external hard drive and shoul run disc repair.

from command prompt i ran chkdsk /f /r E: as suggested

but now the process stalls at stage 4: looking for bad clusters in user file data ... Progress: 19 of 114672 done; stage: 0%; Total: 0% ETA:30:05:46 ...

what do I do now?

davidelwonger, Aug 21, 2020
Thema:

chkdsk: stage 2 an unexpected error occurred

1. chkdsk: stage 2 an unexpected error occurred - Similar Threads - chkdsk stage unexpected

2. windows 11 chkdsk - An unspecified error occured in stage 2

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows 11 chkdsk - An unspecified error occured in stage 2: Hello, I mounted an HDD on my PC running windows 11. But yesterday I accidentally performed forced shut down my computer and my HDD does not read now. When I tried running `chkdsk D: /f/r/x`, an error message popped out and terminated the process. How do I repair my HDD.Error...
  3. windows 11 chkdsk - An unspecified error occured in stage 2

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows 11 chkdsk - An unspecified error occured in stage 2: Hello, I mounted an HDD on my PC running windows 11. But yesterday I accidentally performed forced shut down my computer and my HDD does not read now. When I tried running `chkdsk D: /f/r/x`, an error message popped out and terminated the process. How do I repair my HDD.Error...
  4. CHKDSK Stuck on Stage 4

in Windows 10 Gaming
    CHKDSK Stuck on Stage 4: Hello, i need help right now. My PC was so slow even i opened microsoft office only. I checked task manager and nothing wrong, all CPU, memory, and disk usage low. I searched on internet and found that the problem maybe from hard drive. So, i ran CHKDSK \r for the next reboot...
  5. CHKDSK Stuck on Stage 4

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    CHKDSK Stuck on Stage 4: Hello, i need help right now. My PC was so slow even i opened microsoft office only. I checked task manager and nothing wrong, all CPU, memory, and disk usage low. I searched on internet and found that the problem maybe from hard drive. So, i ran CHKDSK \r for the next reboot...
  6. CHKDSK - an unspecified error occurred

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    CHKDSK - an unspecified error occurred: Hi everyone, I know there are a lot of threads discussing an unspecified error occurred during CHKDSK scan, but my case is quite strange. I use my external hard drive WD Passport Ultra 259D 2T on two operation systems one is my PC at home and the other at my work. I...
  7. An unexpected error has occurred

An unexpected error has occurred: When I go through my email, there is one email that keeps giving that message. Does anyone know why this keeps happening? The rest of the email opens just fine...
  8. Error in Stage 4 of CHKDSK

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Error in Stage 4 of CHKDSK: So, I have a WD My Passport 500 GB. I connected it today, it is showing the drive letter but not the space & explorer stopped responding if I tried to open it. Naturally, I tried to run CHKDSK D: /r /f. But it gave me errors in the stage 4 as follows: I have some very...
  9. chkdsk - An unspecified error occurred

chkdsk - An unspecified error occurred: Since I could not boot anymore I mounted an SSD into an external case and run chkdsk /f, and it comes up with: Stage 1: Examining basic file system structure ... 333056 file records processed. File verification completed. 21395 large file records processed. 0 bad...
  10. An unspecified error occurred by chkdsk

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    An unspecified error occurred by chkdsk: I didn't have access to my external Seagate 700 GB, so I got EaseUS Data Recovery and recovered the 250 GB I had used. I use Win 10. Reformatted the drive and started copying files to it. It started the process, but it would freeze. At times, the drive would just simply...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. 6e74667363686b2e 1798

2. chkdsk unexpected error has occurred