Windows 10: CHKDSK stuck at stage 4

Discus and support CHKDSK stuck at stage 4 in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello... Right now, my computer is stuck at fixing C: Stage 4... It's checking on my HDD WD Green 500 GB. The total percentage is 7% with ETA 8.04.30... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by MichaelMervin, Mar 26, 2020.

1. CHKDSK stuck at stage 4

Hello... Right now, my computer is stuck at fixing C: Stage 4... It's checking on my HDD WD Green 500 GB. The total percentage is 7% with ETA 8.04.30 and it's stuck like that for 6 hour long. How long should I wait? Can I shut down my PC?

Note: I've just reinstalled my PC. When I wanted to install the graphics driver, it was failed. My computer ran so slow. Because I think I have a hard drive problem, I ran HD Sentinel, but I stopped it and ran CHKDSK. But, until now, even the files that are being fixed still stuck at 86917 of 95216.

:)

MichaelMervin, Mar 26, 2020

2. Chkdsk is stucked at stage 4

I started a chkdsk check for my external hard drive by /f /r /x..

Now at stage 4 its stucked.for 3 hours at the same point..what should i do? Should i remove the media? And if i remove the media,wl it have a bad effect on the media n data..my external hard disk was not read by the system all the time n it was taking very
    long to open files,and windows suggested a scan n fix..so i did a chkdsk..

Its showing cluster check 28 of 31416.and is stucked.pls reply,what shud i do?

syedosamaRO, Mar 26, 2020
  3. AmesRC Win User
    Chkdsk is working but stuck at stage 4

Hey,

I'm running a chkdsk /f /r /x for my 1tb external HDD. It does need some repair since it suddenly slowed down one day without any prompting (I suspect it was because it got ejected unsafely). The HDD contains a lot of data and folder and
    I haven't been able to backup the data since it won't cooperate with me and kept being not responding, so I decided to run comprehensive chkdsk from admin-cmd.

I'm aware it takes a long time to repair and I've been waiting patiently. For stage two 'examining file name linkage', it took a whole day >24hours to be done and continue to the next stage. The stage 3 has been completed nicely, but now it's
    stuck at stage 4 'looking for bad clusters in user file data' with the
    progress showing= 27 of 325360 done; stage: 0%, total: 0%, ETA: 999:00:00.
    I also understand that the ETA isn't reliable because stage two had shown the same ETA but it changed overtime. The problem now is that the
    chkdsk has been running stage 4 for 5 days without interference at all and the progress hadn't changed; still 27 of 325360.

The light in my external HDD is still blinking away and the chkdsk is clickable (both of them
    working properly and not 'not responding' or 'hanging') but nothing had changed for 5 days and counting and I'm quite concerned. Should I let it be, but for how long? or should I disconnect it, but will it affect my data? I'm at a loss, really,
    because it's working normally but it's been days and I might be running out of patience.

Help me please, is there anything else I can do or is my options are between waiting it out and forcefully ejecting it? What should I do??

Thank you in advance for any reply.

AmesRC, Mar 26, 2020
  4. CHKDSK stuck at stage 4

Chkdsk is stucked at stage 4

I by mistake removed the hdd later on..the cluster check at stage 4 was 31 out of 31216..

Later on i checked the external hdd and it was successfully read by the system and i was able to take a backup of data..

So i wl conclude this by assuming that stage 4 interruption is not so deadly..the initial 3 stages almost repaired most of the disk..

So m with Mr Wayne..

syedosamaRO, Mar 26, 2020
Thema:

CHKDSK stuck at stage 4

1. CHKDSK stuck at stage 4 - Similar Threads - CHKDSK stuck stage

2. I'm stuck in chkdsk Stage 3

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I'm stuck in chkdsk Stage 3: There's a massage: phase duration data attribute verification And it doesn't move on Can anyone help pls? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/im-stuck-in-chkdsk-stage-3/bcf16092-01d1-4f82-bda8-fc36fa81d699
  3. CHKDSK Stuck at Stage 4 Windows 11 2TB SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    CHKDSK Stuck at Stage 4 Windows 11 2TB SSD: I was having problems a couple days ago with windows going really slow. I restarted a few times after deleting about 500 gigs of games I don't play and it began working normally.Today I was trying to play a game on steam and it kept crashing. I ran an integrity scan and it...
  4. CHKDSK Stuck at Stage 4 Windows 11 2TB SSD

CHKDSK Stuck at Stage 4 Windows 11 2TB SSD: I was having problems a couple days ago with windows going really slow. I restarted a few times after deleting about 500 gigs of games I don't play and it began working normally.Today I was trying to play a game on steam and it kept crashing. I ran an integrity scan and it...
  5. CHKDSK Stuck on Stage 4

in Windows 10 Gaming
    CHKDSK Stuck on Stage 4: Hello, i need help right now. My PC was so slow even i opened microsoft office only. I checked task manager and nothing wrong, all CPU, memory, and disk usage low. I searched on internet and found that the problem maybe from hard drive. So, i ran CHKDSK \r for the next reboot...
  6. CHKDSK Stuck on Stage 4

CHKDSK Stuck on Stage 4: Hello, i need help right now. My PC was so slow even i opened microsoft office only. I checked task manager and nothing wrong, all CPU, memory, and disk usage low. I searched on internet and found that the problem maybe from hard drive. So, i ran CHKDSK \r for the next reboot...
  7. CHKDSK Stuck on Stage 4

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. CHKDSK stuck at Stage 1

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    CHKDSK stuck at Stage 1: I was booting up my computer and then it was loading up with ETA 329.17.50. Please help. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/chkdsk-stuck-at-stage-1/9495b43d-24e8-4150-940f-f3aaf7e02095
  9. Error in Stage 4 of CHKDSK

Error in Stage 4 of CHKDSK: So, I have a WD My Passport 500 GB. I connected it today, it is showing the drive letter but not the space & explorer stopped responding if I tried to open it. Naturally, I tried to run CHKDSK D: /r /f. But it gave me errors in the stage 4 as follows: I have some very...
  10. Chkdsk is working but stuck at stage 4

Chkdsk is working but stuck at stage 4: Hey, I'm running a chkdsk /f /r /x for my 1tb external HDD. It does need some repair since it suddenly slowed down one day without any prompting (I suspect it was because it got ejected unsafely). The HDD contains a lot of data and folder and I haven't been able to backup...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. chkdsk stuck on stage 4 bad clusters

2. chkdsk /r stage 4 stucked at 0%