Windows 10: CHKDSK

Discus and support CHKDSK in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I have a problem/question about CHKDSK. (I'm running Windows 10 Home) The background is that my previous laptop failed and seems to have corrupted the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by MikeHoath, Aug 10, 2019.

1. MikeHoath Win User

CHKDSK

I have a problem/question about CHKDSK. (I'm running Windows 10 Home)
    The background is that my previous laptop failed and seems to have corrupted the hard drive (the laptop's recovery process claimed to find a restore point, but didn't improve anything).
    So I got a new laptop, put the failed drive in a caddy, connected it to a USB port. And the drive was recognised - partly. The drive has 2 partitions: a small system volume and a large data volume. The small volume can be opened by File Explorer, but the large volume can't (although it does know it exists) - eventually Explorer suggests formatting it.

The first RUN of CHKDSK produced:
    ---------
    Stage 3: Examining security descriptors ...
    Security descriptor verification completed.
    98282 data files processed.
    CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
    Usn Journal verification completed.
    Found 100 bad clusters.
    The Volume Bitmap is incorrect.
    Windows has checked the file system and found problems.
    Please run chkdsk /scan to find the problems and queue them for repair.

933733375 KB total disk space.
    298117956 KB in 826924 files.
    416916 KB in 98283 indexes.
    400 KB in bad sectors.
    1169091 KB in use by the system.
    65536 KB occupied by the log file.
    634029012 KB available on disk.
    ---------

So, since CHKDSK managed to access the drive, I gave it a chance to fix it:
    ---------
    D:\>chkdsk /scan f:
    The type of the file system is NTFS.
    Insufficient storage available to create either the shadow copy storage file or other shadow copy data.

A snapshot error occured while scanning this drive. Run an offline scan and fix.
    ---------

And that's where I am stuck. There is plenty of space on the failed drive, and plenty more on the new laptop's D drive. But I've looked at dozens of help pages and can't find any statement about where CHKDSK is looking for this shadow space.
    I've looked at System Protection in Control Panel, in the hope CHKDSK was using the same functions, and it won't let me switch it on for the new laptop's own drives (although it does let me change the maximum disk space!) even though I'm running as an administrator. If I try to use that facility after connecting the failed drive then it takes ages searching and eventually finds the good volume on the failed drive, but not the bad vol (which I guess is similar to the failure of File Explorer to get access to that vol).

I did try chkdsk /spotfix:
    ---------
    D:\>chkdsk f: /spotfix
    The type of the file system is NTFS.
    Volume label is Windows8_OS.

Examining 1 corruption record ...

Record 1 of 1: Missing 14 entries in index "$I30" of directory "<0x4,0xc7ccc>" ... no corruption found.

1 corruption record processed in 0.1 seconds.

Windows has examined the list of previously identified issues and found no problems.
    No further action is required.
    ---------

But of course that made no difference, the errors remain

So, CHKDSK is teasing me, /spotfix says no problem, the full check says there are specific issues, but it can't find the room to do the fix.
    Is CHKDSK misleading about space and that there's actually a Windows service that needs to be running?
    Is there something I can do to get round CHKDSK's shadow copy space issue?
    Or is there some decent software that can fix the errors without suffering the same problem as CHKDSK?
    Or do I send the drive to a data recovery firm and pay them more than the cost of my new laptop?

:)

MikeHoath, Aug 10, 2019
  2. Jelo Sen Win User

chkdsk c: /F

It might be an error on the drive. We suggests that you follow the troubleshooting steps below:

• Run Disk Cleanup utility to clear your junk files.
    • Open an elevated CMD type sfc /scannow and hit Enter to run the System File Checker.
    • Once the scan is completed, restart your computer. Remember to exit ChkDsk
      during boot.
    • Next, again open CMD as admin type
      Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
      and hit Enter to repair the Windows image.
    • Now see if ChkDsk able to complete the scan.

Note: Before doing the steps, make sure you save a back up of your files.

Let us know how it goes.

Jelo Sen, Aug 10, 2019
  3. Jelo Sen Win User
    chkdsk c: /F

We appreciate the response. I'm referring to Check Disk (chkdsk) utility tool. If you haven't tried yet, we suggest that you run a chkdsk by:

• Press Windows Key + X button to bring up the power user menu.
    • In the power user menu, select the Command Prompt (Admin) option.Click Yes when you are presented with a UAC window requesting permission to launch the Command Prompt as Administrator.
    • In the new Command Prompt window, type chkdsk E: /f /r /x. Here you should replace E with your drive letter.
    This option will run chkdsk to check and repair disk errors in Windows 10. The “/f” parameter tells CHKDSK to fix any errors it finds; “/r” tells it to locate the bad sectors on the drive and recover readable information; “/x” forces the drive to dismount
    before the process starts.

Keep us updated with the result.

Jelo Sen, Aug 10, 2019
  4. CHKDSK

Windows 10 - UNEXPECTED_STORE_EXCEPTION and CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED BSoD's

Hi,

I suggest that you run the check disk. Follow the steps:

• Select Command Prompt.
    • Type chkdsk /r (note: there is a space after chkdsk)
    • Restart the computer and allow the check disk to run.

Important: While performing chkdsk on the hard drive if any bad sectors are found on the hard drive when chkdsk tries to repair that sector if any data available on that might be lost

Vinod Archak, Aug 10, 2019
Thema:

CHKDSK

1. CHKDSK - Similar Threads - CHKDSK

2. My SD card cannot be checked by chkdsk, nor can be formatted

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My SD card cannot be checked by chkdsk, nor can be formatted: HiWhenever I copying or sending files into my SD Card, they were not saved into the SD card.So, I tried running the chkdsk d: /f where the d is the letter assigned to my SD card, but the operation didn't compete successfully only 62 percent completed.........
  3. My SD card cannot be checked by chkdsk, nor can be formatted

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My SD card cannot be checked by chkdsk, nor can be formatted: HiWhenever I copying or sending files into my SD Card, they were not saved into the SD card.So, I tried running the chkdsk d: /f where the d is the letter assigned to my SD card, but the operation didn't compete successfully only 62 percent completed.........
  4. My SD card cannot be checked by chkdsk, nor can be formatted

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. can I safely assign a drive letter to an EFI partition to run a chkdsk on that partition on...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    can I safely assign a drive letter to an EFI partition to run a chkdsk on that partition on...: I have a backup image creation program that gets an error when I try to create an image:Cluster Run Error: Cluster Run Short - Error - 21, and it want me to run a chkdsk /r. I did and it didn't help. I contacted the software company, and they said I have a FAT32 partition EFI...
  6. can I safely assign a drive letter to an EFI partition to run a chkdsk on that partition on...

can I safely assign a drive letter to an EFI partition to run a chkdsk on that partition on...: I have a backup image creation program that gets an error when I try to create an image:Cluster Run Error: Cluster Run Short - Error - 21, and it want me to run a chkdsk /r. I did and it didn't help. I contacted the software company, and they said I have a FAT32 partition EFI...
  7. Unexpected error while running CHKDSK command.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unexpected error while running CHKDSK command.: Hi,I ran into an error, specifically An unspecified error occurred 6672732e637878 60f. while executing the CHKDSK command. Can someone tell me what is the error and how to fix it? The CHKDSK command doesn't seem to work....
  8. Unexpected error while running CHKDSK command.

Unexpected error while running CHKDSK command.: Hi,I ran into an error, specifically An unspecified error occurred 6672732e637878 60f. while executing the CHKDSK command. Can someone tell me what is the error and how to fix it? The CHKDSK command doesn't seem to work....
  9. CHKDSK stuck on 100%

in Windows 10 Gaming
    CHKDSK stuck on 100%: Hello , I have WIN 11 , I was trying to download a large game , however an error message appeared that i might have an unreadable sectors on my external HD WD - MY BOOK EXFAT. so naturally i tried to scan the hard drive , however it got stuck so I downloaded an app Minitool...
  10. CHKDSK stuck on 100%

CHKDSK stuck on 100%: Hello , I have WIN 11 , I was trying to download a large game , however an error message appeared that i might have an unreadable sectors on my external HD WD - MY BOOK EXFAT. so naturally i tried to scan the hard drive , however it got stuck so I downloaded an app Minitool...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. chkdsk insufficient storage available to create either the shadow copy