Windows 10: chm handling broken [SOLVED]

Discus and support chm handling broken [SOLVED] in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Applying the latest updates 2004 I think has killed chm handling. I use chm a lot. Last week pages displayed instantly, now 20-40 seconds. Everything... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by PeteLomax, Sep 26, 2020.

1. PeteLomax Win User

chm handling broken [SOLVED]

Applying the latest updates 2004 I think has killed chm handling.
    I use chm a lot. Last week pages displayed instantly, now 20-40 seconds.
    Everything else seems fine. Initial disk load is 0%.

typical timeline fully repeatable here, in mins:seconds:
    1:00 open a chm any chm, any drive - disk usage of C: jumps to 100%.
    1:25 page displays without formatting but I do nothing yet
    2:00 disk usage of C: drops to 0%
    2:10 I enter options/refresh in the chm - disk usage of C: jumps to 100%.
    2:35 page displays with formatting mostly
    3:10 disk usage of C: drops to 0%
    3:20 refresh again - disk usage of C: jumps to 100%.
    3:40 page redisplays properly
    4:20 disk usage of C: drops to 0%
    4:25 close chm - disk usage of C: jumps to 100%.
    5:20 disk usage of C: drops to 0%

Doing anything at all with a chm triggers a full minute-worth of 100% disk C usage.
    I have seen several other reports of 100% disk usage, but this is provably very chm-specific.
    What I'd like to try next is reinstalling every bit of chm-handling stuff, how do I do that?

UPDATE: I cleared out C:\Users\Pete\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WebCache and the problem seems resolved...

I also excluded one chm from windows defender all are now fine, and uninstalled malwarebytes which appeared to have no effect

PS Where do I go to reclaim the 36 hours of my life that I just lost?

:)

PeteLomax, Sep 26, 2020
  2. DaveM121 Win User

can't open CHM file on win10

Hi xalspaero

Chm files should open in Windows 10 without any issue

Right click a chm file and choose Open with

Does Microsoft Help HTML Executable appear in the list?

If not, scroll down and click 'More Apps'

Again check for Microsoft Help HTML Executable, if that s not in the list, at the bottom, click 'Look for another app on this PC'

Navigate to find: C:\Windows\hh.exe

If that file does not exist, click the link below to download HTML Help Workshop and Documentation, which will contain hh.exe

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/detail...

DaveM121, Sep 26, 2020
  3. cknoettg Win User
    chm display small box with "x" instead of graphic content

As a first step, open the folder containing one chm file that is not working. Right-click on a chm file, select Properties, and then check the box that says "unblock". Then try to open the chm and let me know if it is working. Until I read this post, I was unaware of any chm issues on my own system, but I found that Windows is blocking all of my chm files.

cknoettg, Sep 26, 2020
  4. chm handling broken [SOLVED]

best way to convert chm to pdf or print whole chm?

I'm not asking about printing or saving page as PDF. That I can do with cute PDF, tinypdf etc.
    But I need to convert whole chm book to PDF so I can have print (hard copy) of it Bcz in chm I can take print of whole book at once.

freebird_9924, Sep 26, 2020
Thema:

chm handling broken [SOLVED]

1. chm handling broken [SOLVED] - Similar Threads - chm handling broken

2. Chm help file link highlight doesn't clear

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Chm help file link highlight doesn't clear: Hi everyone, I have a chm help file that has one link highlight from when a link is clicked that won't clear. Usually closing and re-opening will clear all previously highlighted links but this one doesn't. Renaming the file fixes the problem but then the help file can't be...
  3. Chm help file link highlight doesn't clear

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Chm help file link highlight doesn't clear: Hi everyone, I have a chm help file that has one link highlight from when a link is clicked that won't clear. Usually closing and re-opening will clear all previously highlighted links but this one doesn't. Renaming the file fixes the problem but then the help file can't be...
  4. Not able to open chm file using windows services

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Not able to open chm file using windows services: Hi,I am using node code to open the chm file using exec. Using node as a service and try to open chm file is not working, it going to stdout but file is not displaying. If stop the service and open node in command line it will open the chm file.This functionality was working...
  5. chm handling broken

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    chm handling broken: Applying the latest updates 2004 I think has killed chm handling. I use chm a lot. Last week pages displayed instantly, now 20-40 seconds. Everything else seems fine. Initial disk load is 0%. typical timeline fully repeatable here, in mins:seconds: 1:00 open a chm any chm,...
  6. CHM displays differently on various PCs

in Windows 10 Customization
    CHM displays differently on various PCs: When me or my colleagues open a CHM file, the file will display differently depending on which PC we are using. We are not sure what causes this issue. We all have different Windows builds. PCs with a lower Windows build display the CHM correctly. The higher the build, the...
  7. [NOT SOLVED] Connect tablet with broken touch screen

in Windows 10 Customization
    [NOT SOLVED] Connect tablet with broken touch screen: The screen of my tablet does work, but also doesn't. I can see the lock screen, but I can unlock or touch anywhere else the input of the screen is somehow broken is there a way I can use it as a second monitor?...
  8. KB4528760 boot error KMODE Exception Not Handled - solved

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    KB4528760 boot error KMODE Exception Not Handled - solved: I tried to install KB4528760 and I got BSOD “KMODE Exception Not Handled” Fortunately Windows 10 rebooted several times and uninstalled the update. I then ran whocrashed utility and analysed the Crash dump....
  9. Windows 10 1607 chm files not working network

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows 10 1607 chm files not working network: Hello. I have Windows 10 1607. Chm files working in local path (C:\share\file.chm). But in network path (\\localhost\share\file.chm) files not working (opening is clear windows). How to fixed this problem....
  10. .chm file opening problem

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    .chm file opening problem: I am trying to open a .chm file in Windows 10. I am only getting the menu on the left, see below [ATTACH] it should look like this with an index on the left and links on the right. Any one have a suggestion. [ATTACH]...