Windows 10: Choice Between Win 7 & 10 at Startup

Discus and support Choice Between Win 7 & 10 at Startup in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I'm getting a screen when I start the PC asking me to choose between Windows 7 and Windows 10 or set/change defaults. I'm sure this wasn't here when I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Forkbeard, Oct 9, 2015.

1. Forkbeard Win User

Choice Between Win 7 & 10 at Startup

I'm getting a screen when I start the PC asking me to choose between Windows 7 and Windows 10 or set/change defaults. I'm sure this wasn't here when I first upgraded...am I meant to be getting this?

:)

Forkbeard, Oct 9, 2015

2. boot manager

When win 10 became available I downloaded it and created a dual boot pc. Win 7 on C drive and Win 10 on D partition. Liked Win 10 so followed the following steps to make pc Win 10 only. Upgraded to Win 10 on C drive, eliminated and wiped D partition. Am
    using selective startup. Now when booting, get boot screen with Win 7 or Win 10 choice, (but only have Win 10, Version 1511, on pc). If choose Win 10 pc unzips repair files, tries to fix windows and fails, tells me to choose Win 7. So I chose Win 7 and pc
    boots into Win 10. So I opened msconfig, checked boot tab and have Win 7 listed as current and default OS and Win 10 below it. But I don't have Win 7 any longer. How can I fix this without reinstalling Win 10? Also thought going back to normal startup may
    help, but when selecting normal startup and restarting computer, windows resets to selective startup. Hate the thought of wiping hard drive and reloading windows and programs.

Thanks for any help.

Choice Between Win 7 & 10 at Startup [​IMG]

Pumpkin Patch, Oct 9, 2015
  3. Willy9000 Win User
    Windows 10 failure at startup

Windows 10 Pro

Creator's Update (1703) plus most recent updates.

Dual boot: also Windows 7 Ultimate

Before the choice Win 10 / Win 7 appeared, the screen displayed - for the first time ever - a message that Windows failed to start, would collect (and send?) information and restart.

Then my desktop restarted normally and I could chose between Win 10 and Win 7. I chose Win 10 and the operating system started normally.

Why the failure message appeared is a mystery to me. Can I find out in Windows log files what happened?

Willy9000, Oct 9, 2015
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Do you still have both Windows 7 and Windows 10 installed?

NavyLCDR, Oct 10, 2015
  5. Forkbeard Win User
    Not that I know of. I was dual booting Linux and 7, then upgraded to 10. I had a storage partition and a swap partition in weird places that were preventing me from merging a few back together, so I downloaded the Win10 disc and reinstalled after deleting all the partitions. I thought it was a fresh install.

If I remember correctly, it might have started appearing the first time I logged back in with my email address rather than a local account. I was wondering if it's got something to do with data on Microsoft's servers about my installation? Dunno...

Forkbeard, Oct 10, 2015
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    Well, you can use EasyBCD to delete the extra boot menu item, if it is coming from the BCD:
    EasyBCD - NeoSmart Technologies

scroll down to the free section, click register then
    You don't even have to register on the next screen, just click the Download button.

The View Settings screen of EasyBCD (Default when it opens) will tell you what all the boot menu items are pointing to. The edit boot menu button will let you highlight specific entries and delete them. You can also change the timeout there. Don't forget to click the save settings button before exiting.

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Choice Between Win 7 & 10 at Startup - Similar Threads - Choice Between Startup

2. Problems with Publisher 2016 files between Win 7 and Win 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problems with Publisher 2016 files between Win 7 and Win 10: I am having problems with the font sizes in files I use between Publisher 2016 on my Windows 7 and Windows 10 machines. The graphics in the file are in place, but the pagination of the text is way off. The page count is the same, the graphics are all in place, but the text...
  3. sharing between win 10 and 7

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    sharing between win 10 and 7: hello, i wanna ask how can i access my win 7 shared folder form my win 10, i heard microsoft has removed homegroup from win 10 with no warning, also i cant access my shared printers as well, my win 10 version is Edition Windows 10 Home Single Language Version 20H2 Installed...
  4. Sharing between Win 10 and Win 7

Sharing between Win 10 and Win 7: I have Windows Media Center set up on Win 7 on one machine. When I got to Network on the 10 machine, the 7 machine is listed, as well as all the drives on it. When I try to open any folder is says I don't have permission to access it. Everything I can find is set to share...
  5. Difference Spacing in txt file between win 7 and win 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Difference Spacing in txt file between win 7 and win 10: Okay, I have problem with my notepad format for txt file. first I export my file from SAP program and save them to txt file. And then i opened them on Win 7, the file is seem right. But i tried opened on my laptop win 10 its gone wrong, there was spacing on the row. But i...
  6. Choice between Business and personal 365 Office

in Windows 10 Customization
    Choice between Business and personal 365 Office: I have a question. Do I need to update to Office 365 Business if I have a computer that I use for my small business that I do from home and no one else use it? I am on the trial of Business 365 but as I see it is more expensive so I would prefer to stay on Office 365...
  7. Network Issues between Win 10 and Win 7

Network Issues between Win 10 and Win 7: After upgrading to Win 10 1903, I had to redo all local networking. No problem in getting my Win 10 computers to communicate with each other, but the only way I can get the Win 10 computers to access shares on my old Win 7 system is to disable IP 6 on the Win 10 computer...
  8. Startup Doesn't Allow Choice Between Operating Systems on Separate SSDs, Screen Brightness...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Startup Doesn't Allow Choice Between Operating Systems on Separate SSDs, Screen Brightness...: My motherboard is ASUS Z97-A. I've not been able to re-install The BIOS. (Version 3503, American Megatrends. My motherboard doesn't recognize the .CAP file) The boot order neither has Windows Boot Manager nor "the P5 WDC boot option" the boot menu has. My sign-in may or...
  9. Fast Startup - Win 10 - Win 7 - Boot Problems - Only 7 Booted

in Windows 10 Support
    Fast Startup - Win 10 - Win 7 - Boot Problems - Only 7 Booted: I have 2 SSDs, one with a 'dormant' copy of Win 10 and the second with an actively used copy of Win 7. By 'dormant' I mean that I've only booted the Win 10 drive a few times to install updates. It is an end-of-the-year insurance policy against the end-of-support for Win 7 as...
  10. BSOD with 3 Win 10 OS choices

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD with 3 Win 10 OS choices: This started a while back with a BSOD saying 0x000000e. Which I goggled and found a remedy. The a few days after I get this with a choice of 3 Window 10 OS's to choose from. I have always picked the middle one and after a 4 to 6 restarts it goes away and does not appear again...