Windows 10: Choice of how to open a file.

Discus and support Choice of how to open a file. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; On some of my Microsoft Win. 10 Computers when i try opening a file, i get a pop up choice of what program i want to open the file. I have Microsoft... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by digitalcurisity, Dec 25, 2019.

1. Choice of how to open a file.

On some of my Microsoft Win. 10 Computers when i try opening a file, i get a pop up choice of what program i want to open the file.
    I have Microsoft Word and Libre Office on this computer, but the other Win 10 computers when i want to open a file i don't get a choice and it will just use the Libre word processor.

How can i get these computers to also give me the pop up choice when i want the Microsoft word Program?

:)

digitalcurisity, Dec 25, 2019
  2. Ketxxx Win User

opening .dds files with gimp

Simply, HOW? I got the DDS plugin but the POS wont open DDS files still. Can someone give me a step-by-step rundown of how to install the DDS plugin for gimp so I know if I'm missing something?

Ketxxx, Dec 25, 2019
  3. jaydeee Win User
    PowerPoint file crashes PowerPoint upon opening

since this happens in some of the computers only, suggest that you open the file on working computer and copy everything and paste to a new powerpoint file.
    most of the time it works to me. *Smile Choice of how to open a file. :)

jaydeee, Dec 25, 2019
  4. Choice of how to open a file.

"open with" and opening of files slow

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

1. Since when are you facing this issue?
    2. Have you made any changes on your computer, prior to this issue?

To fix issues with Word documents opening slowly, I suggest you to attach a different template to the document and check if that helps. Follow the below steps to attach a templates.

Steps:-

1. Open Word application.
    2. Click on File and select Options.
    3. Select Add-Ins from the list.
    4. Under Manage Select Templates and click on
      Go.
    5. In the pop up, type Normal in the Document template.
    6. Click on Ok.

To fix issues with Adobe files opening slowly follow the below troubleshooting steps and check if that helps.

Steps:-

1. Open Adobe application.
    2. Click on Edit.
    3. Select Preferences option.
    4. Tap on General.
    5. Uncheck Enable protected mode at startup.

Hope it helps.

Sandeep Kumar M

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Sandeep_KM, Dec 25, 2019
Thema:

Choice of how to open a file.

1. Choice of how to open a file. - Similar Threads - Choice open file

2. New has no choices in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New has no choices in File Explorer: As you can see, the New option is empty. I should at least be able to make a new folder form here. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/new-has-no-choices-in-file-explorer/ba742b27-7dcd-4046-943c-1eaad7b49a73
  3. Opening a file with an .exe choice.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Opening a file with an .exe choice.: Ok, this is driving me nuts.Windows 10 will not let me open certain files with my executable of choice, even if I try to change default for an extension.For example. I want to open a pdf with libre writter. I can't select the file and say open with, nor can I go to change the...
  4. Opening a file with an .exe choice.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Opening a file with an .exe choice.: Ok, this is driving me nuts.Windows 10 will not let me open certain files with my executable of choice, even if I try to change default for an extension.For example. I want to open a pdf with libre writter. I can't select the file and say open with, nor can I go to change the...
  5. Opening a file with an .exe choice.

in Windows 10 Customization
  6. Saving files from PHOTO, Video - the only choice is "video file" no other choice

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Saving files from PHOTO, Video - the only choice is "video file" no other choice: How do I save a trimmed MP4 file I made in PHOTO... The only choice when I click Finish/Export is Video File and this I don't know how to convert. All instructions on the web I can find suggest that MP4 should also be an option for me when I export, but it isn't. Please...
  7. undoing the choice of how to open files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    undoing the choice of how to open files: I downloaded and have previously downloaded sewing files with the extension .exp for my bernina sewing machine. Last night when I was opening zipped files a box opened up asking how to "open the files." I went to the Microsoft store to see what was available but ended up...
  8. How to delete Ad Choices

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How to delete Ad Choices: How do I delete Ad Choices https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-delete-ad-choices/f439ddc2-84b4-4f14-9520-b3ff11196fdb"
  9. 'Open With' doesn't remember my choice.

in Windows 10 Customization
    'Open With' doesn't remember my choice.: What I do: 1. Make a new file, call it test.srt 2. Double click it, now a dialog opens: "How do you want to open this file?" 3. Select Notepad, be sure that "Always use this app to open .srt files" is selected4. Click OK. 5. The file should correctly open with Notepad....
  10. "Open With" choice at start up.

in Windows 10 Support
    "Open With" choice at start up.: Since the fall update I am greeted with a choice dialog at start up. It doesn't say what it wants to open but lists a dozen programs. I tried a browser but all it said before loads of code was that this program could not be run in dos mode. If I click off the box it vanishes....