Windows 10: 'Choose default app by filetype' broken for non-Store apps

Discus and support 'Choose default app by filetype' broken for non-Store apps in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I cannot select a new default app for a filetype. I am using a Surface Go with S mode disabled and 'Allow apps from anywhere' selected under... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by millplo, Oct 7, 2018.

1. millplo Win User

'Choose default app by filetype' broken for non-Store apps

I cannot select a new default app for a filetype.

I am using a Surface Go with S mode disabled and 'Allow apps from anywhere' selected under 'Settings > Apps > Apps & features.' The app I want to set as a default (Notepad++) is a downloaded executable, not an app from the Windows Store.

If I right-click on a .txt file, select 'Open with > Choose another app,' select Notepad++, and check 'Always use this app to open text files,' no change is effected. The file opens just fine with Notepad++, but Notepad remains the default app. There is no error message. It just doesn't work.

If I go into 'Settings > Apps > Default apps > Choose default apps by filetype,' I can scroll down to '.txt,' click on the current default, and select a new app. This works fine if I select an app from the Windows Store (e.g. WordPad). If I select Notepad++ or any other downloaded executable, however, Settings reverts to the system default (Notepad).

Again, no error message. It is simply broken.

Thank you for any help.

:)

millplo, Oct 7, 2018
  2. Argel Obm Win User

Choosing Default Apps & Insider Programme

To resolve your concern, kindly choose the default apps by file type. To do this, follow these steps:

• Click the Windows logo (Start button).
    • Click the gear icon (Settings).
    • Choose System.
    • Select Default apps.
    • Click Choose default apps by file type.
    • Check all of the video file type, and then check if you can change the default app to your preferred application.
    After performing the steps, kindly share with us the result

Argel Obm, Oct 7, 2018
  3. Apple Claims Steam Link App Violates App Store Guidelines

Here's what Valve is contending with:
    https://developer.apple.com/app-store/review/guidelines/

The ones that stand out that may have caught Steam Link:
    So yeah, there's a lot of reasons why Steam Link would get rejected.

App submissions and approvals is a thing between developer and Apple. Valve intentionally let this information leak probably because Apple's restrictive guidlines will never allow Steam Link to be on the store. Valve is hoping the Steam user base makes a lot of noise so Apple grants Valve and exemption. I doubt it will work. Apple loves control and Steam Link is a portal into the Linux/Windows ecosystem. Even if Steam Link were exclusive to Mac OS, Apple would likely demand Valve use Mac OS's remote desktop features rather than Steam Link.

I'd be shocked if Apple allows it.

FordGT90Concept, Oct 7, 2018
  4. 'Choose default app by filetype' broken for non-Store apps

Non-Store Default Apps for a file protocol in windows 10

Hi Ajo,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow the below steps.

1) Right click on the file and select choose another app to open. It will display the list of apps to open.

2) If the app is not listed then select more apps and check if you can find it.

Let us know the status of the issue.

Thanks.

Anil Madishetty, Oct 7, 2018
Thema:

'Choose default app by filetype' broken for non-Store apps

1. 'Choose default app by filetype' broken for non-Store apps - Similar Threads - 'Choose default app

2. Windows 11 Default FileType is broken

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Default FileType is broken: Ok first ill say that I searched the internet to find out how to fix this already numerous times and nothing worked. I tried FileTypeMan, ShellBagsView ShellBag Cleaner and the basic reset dfualt file types. and nothing works. I will say that this started when I installed...
  3. Windows 11 Default FileType is broken

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Default FileType is broken: Ok first ill say that I searched the internet to find out how to fix this already numerous times and nothing worked. I tried FileTypeMan, ShellBagsView ShellBag Cleaner and the basic reset dfualt file types. and nothing works. I will say that this started when I installed...
  4. Settings: 'Choose a default app by filetype'

Settings: 'Choose a default app by filetype': I am trying to set a default app for an extension but the default apps list won't show the app even though it is operational, listed under 'Apps and features' and valid. How can I select this app?...
  5. setting default app for filetype

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    setting default app for filetype: Hello -- What did I miss here? I wanted to change the default app to process a zip file --- So I when to the screen to set the default apps, selected the option to set the app by file type I then scrolled down the list an found .zip clicked on it and...
  6. Unable to change default app by protocol or filetype.

Unable to change default app by protocol or filetype.: We use Bluebeam to open pdf files. The .pdf file is associated with this program, so if I double click on a .pdf file, it opens with this program. However: If I make hyperlinks in Excel to .pdf files, and I click on the hyperlink, it opens with Adobe Acrobat Reader DC. If I...
  7. Choosing Default Apps

Choosing Default Apps: I have about 20 or so apps on my computer but only 3 or 4 of them are presented as choices when I try to set one as default. The default I want is installed but it doesn't show up in the SET DEFAULT APPS process. VERY FRUSTRATING....
  8. Can't set default apps to open filetypes

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't set default apps to open filetypes: It is completely impossible for me to change or set a default program for any files. The "Open With" window doesn't function and the "Choose default apps by file type" just freezes and doesn't change any time I set a default program....
  9. 'Choose default apps by file type' broken for apps not associated with file type by system...

in Windows 10 Customization
    'Choose default apps by file type' broken for apps not associated with file type by system...: I previously asked a similar question before realizing the scale of the problem. I am running Windows 10 Home on a Surface Go. That is, I have successfully disabled S mode. I cannot set a default app unless it is 'Microsoft recommended' for a file type or protocol. An...
  10. Can one define a Google Chrome App as default app for a filetype?

Can one define a Google Chrome App as default app for a filetype?: I would like to define a Google Chrome app (aka. Google Chrome extension) called "Readium" as default handler for .epub files (an ebook format), because I consider it better than Edge (which handles these files by default) for this purpose. Now, I was able to define Chrome...