Windows 10: 'Choose default apps by file type' broken for apps not associated with file type by system...

Discus and support 'Choose default apps by file type' broken for apps not associated with file type by system... in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I previously asked a similar question before realizing the scale of the problem. I am running Windows 10 Home on a Surface Go. That is, I have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by millplo, Oct 8, 2018.

1. millplo Win User

'Choose default apps by file type' broken for apps not associated with file type by system...

I previously asked a similar question before realizing the scale of the problem.

I am running Windows 10 Home on a Surface Go. That is, I have successfully disabled S mode.

I cannot set a default app unless it is 'Microsoft recommended' for a file type or protocol.

An example:

I want to use Notepad++ to open .txt files.

Under 'Settings > Apps > Default apps,' I first 'Reset to the Microsoft recommended defaults,' and then go into 'Choose default apps by file type.'

By default, .txt files open with Notepad, though Microsoft also allows you to select WordPad as the default app. This I can do this a hitch.

If I subsequently open a .txt file with Notepad++, Notepad++ will now show up as an option for text files in 'Choose default apps by file type.' But when I select Notepad++, Settings reverts to the system default: Notepad.

There is no error message. It is simply broken.

I can still select WordPad without any difficulties.

Similarly, if I right-click on a .txt file in File Manger, select 'Open with > Choose another app,' tick a program other than Notepad or WordPad, and check 'Always use this app to open text files,' the defaults remain unchanged. The file opens just fine, but the app I selected will not become the default.

Again, no error message. It just won't work.

This is not a problem limited to non-Store apps. I similarly cannot set Notepad as the default app for file types not already associated with it (e.g. .md). The problem persists even if I 'Open with' Notepad and check 'Always use this app to open .md files.' Nothing.

Thank you for any help.

:)

millplo, Oct 8, 2018
  2. Paula Rae Win User

file type is not included in the list of types to choose from to associate a file with

in "Choose default apps by file type" in Windows 10, there are two file types that are not listed; how do I add a file type to the list so that I can associate that file type with a file. For example, I often receive a file that has a file type of .stmt
    and another fle with a file with the name viewdoc.file. They are both PDF files. But neither of these file types are available for me to choose from in the default list. How do I add them?

Paula Rae, Oct 8, 2018
  3. choose default apps by file type

When going to Settings / Apps / Default apps , I am unable to choose default apps by file type, ie the file type boxes ( .bmp .gif etc ) greyed out "Choose a default" missing. This means every time I click a bmp or gif file I have to select what app
    to open it with .

RonHazlehurst, Oct 8, 2018
  4. CherylA Win User

'Choose default apps by file type' broken for apps not associated with file type by system...

Restore Default File Type Associations in Windows 10  

Not to pester you, but it is inconvenient to "open with" every single time, and I remain quite perplexed why every other possible file extension appears to be listed in "Settings/System/Default apps/CHOOSE DEFAULT APPS BY FILE TYPE" but not .zip. It has always been possible prior to Windows 10 to associate ANY file extension with a default program. I'm not sure what you mean by ".zip is not listed by default." How else would one permanently associate a program with a file extension? The link I gave you, provided again below, as well as others I could find - indicates that that other people have .zip listed in their file type listings. Have you checked your listings available at location I've specified above? I have ... .yps, .z, .z96... and no .zip. Do you not see a .zip extension either but see essentially all others? Link: unable to Extract Zip files in Windows 10 - Microsoft Community.

CherylA, Oct 8, 2018
Thema:

1. 'Choose default apps by file type' broken for apps not associated with file type by system... - Similar Threads - 'Choose default apps

2. Settings/Apps/Default Apps/by file type is broken.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Settings/Apps/Default Apps/by file type is broken.: I can't change the default file for opening PDF files. For some reason, WhatsApp is set as the default, and I can't change it. I can open the files one at a time by right clicking. I'm running Windows 10. My default browser is Edge. I wouldn't even mind if I had to use Edge...
  3. Settings/Apps/Default Apps/by file type is broken.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Settings/Apps/Default Apps/by file type is broken.: I can't change the default file for opening PDF files. For some reason, WhatsApp is set as the default, and I can't change it. I can open the files one at a time by right clicking. I'm running Windows 10. My default browser is Edge. I wouldn't even mind if I had to use Edge...
  4. Settings/Apps/Default Apps/by file type is broken.

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. default file type association

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    default file type association: hi, I am using windows 10 home version 2004 on HP laptop. so, unfortunately I set the .srt file to open with ''notepad'' as default. but I want to revert this and to set it to unknown file type as it was before. so, how can I do this? restore previous version is greyed out....
  6. unable to choose a default app to open a file type

unable to choose a default app to open a file type: OS Name: Microsoft Windows 10 Education N OS Version: 10.0.18362 N/A Build 18362 7/‎17/‎2019 Feature update to Windows 10, version 1903 I restored file mapping to default via Default Apps Setting "reset to Microsoft recommended defaults"...
  7. Choose Default apps by File type (.laccdb)

Choose Default apps by File type (.laccdb): I had recently reinstalled Microsoft Windows 10 to try and fix the file associations. For the most part it fixed my issues. However, there is still one file association I have noticed that when trying to choose a default app by file type for (.laccdb) does not provide me the...
  8. File type associated with App

File type associated with App: I recently installed Office 365 on my NB running Windows 10 Home. Upon successful installation, I uninstalled my Office 2007 from the NB. Nightmare occurred - I could not double click the selected file and open it with the App. Instead, I have to open the App first and...
  9. Default file type association

Default file type association: Hi! On Win 10 I want to change default file extension association to an exe file, but the system doesn't allow it. It happens with other extensions and programs too, but now specifically I wanted to associate the standalone version of flash player to .swf extension. It...
  10. choose default apps by file type

choose default apps by file type: I want .tif and .tiff files to be opened by MODI. MODI is installed on my computer but does not show up as an option https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/choose-default-apps-by-file-type/a23e84d5-6337-4040-84b4-2b7902e0f665

Users found this page by searching for:

1. set file type associations tif tiff MODI 2007