Windows 10: Choose UEFI or Legacy BIOS when booting into Windows Setup or Windows PE

Discus and support Choose UEFI or Legacy BIOS when booting into Windows Setup or Windows PE in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Compared to BIOS, Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI) makes the computer extra secure. If your laptop supports UEFI, you... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinClub, Mar 9, 2019.

1. WinClub New Member

Choose UEFI or Legacy BIOS when booting into Windows Setup or Windows PE

WinClub, Mar 9, 2019
  2. RandelA Win User

Windows Setup and UEFI BIOS

Suppose I have my Windows 7 Pro 64-bit ISO setup contents copied to a boot-able USB flash drive.
    Suppose I modified it by copying the folder efi/microsoft/boot, and pasting it to efi/ to make my windows boot on UEFI systems. (as said on this tutorial, for 64-bit)

Question:
    Would my UEFI-ied Windows 7 Setup work on other BIOS systems?

RandelA, Mar 9, 2019
  3. Unable to upgrade to Windows 10, Error message: A system image created using UEFI cannot be restored on a computer using legacy BIOS.

Hi,

UEFI BIOS supports two boot modes: Legacy BIOS boot mode and UEFI boot mode. Some devices and operating systems do not yet support UEFI-based BIOS and can boot only from Legacy BIOS boot mode. Choose Legacy BIOS boot mode to allow HBAs and Express
    Module devices to use option ROMs. Choose UEFI boot mode to use UEFI drivers.

Only devices that support the selected boot mode are listed on the BIOS Boot screen. If you select UEFI Boot Mode, only boot candidates that support UEFI BIOS boot mode are listed on the BIOS Setup Utility screens in the Boot Options Priority list.
    If you select Legacy BIOS boot mode, only boot candidates that support Legacy BIOS boot mode are listed in the Boot Options Priority list.

Please refer to the below article to Upgrade to Windows 10 using ISO File.

How to Upgrade to Windows 10 Anniversary Update version 1607 using ISO File

Hope you can upgrade to Windows 10.

Let us know if you need further assistance on upgrading to Windows 10, we will be glad to help you.

Rishad K T, Mar 9, 2019
  4. Choose UEFI or Legacy BIOS when booting into Windows Setup or Windows PE

Trouble installing windows 7 on RAID in UEFI

As the title says, I'm trying to install Windows on a RAID array in uefi on my Maximus V Formula. When using legacy ROM I can install just fine but I go into CSM and change settings to UEFI only, I can build the array in the UEFI Raid driver (IRST tab in "BIOS") but the array does not show up in the boot menu and when I try to install windows (boot from UEFI DVD drive), The drive does not show up in the Windows install. The next thing I tried was to enable UEFI and legacy oprom in CSM, boot from UEFI DVD drive and install to the RAID array (probably detected by legacy oprom) and it will install. After first reboot, Windows Boot manager will show up as an option in the BIOS boot menu so I set that as first boot device and reboot. I will get to the starting windows screen and then BSOD (too quick to get codes) The last thing I tried was Changing to legacy mode and installing windows to a different drive. once installed, I initialized the Raid array as GPT and rebooted, changed csm back to UEFI only but they RAID array still doesn't show in the boot device list so I repeated the earlier process hoping that It might work because I had initialized as GPT but it still BSODs on starting windows screen. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

mystiksinner, Mar 9, 2019
Thema:

Choose UEFI or Legacy BIOS when booting into Windows Setup or Windows PE

1. Choose UEFI or Legacy BIOS when booting into Windows Setup or Windows PE - Similar Threads - Choose UEFI Legacy

2. Bios swap legacy to uefi

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Bios swap legacy to uefi: Motherboard/cpu upgraded ready for win 11. How to reinstall win 10 digital license to use new uefi bios. No facility for doing this. only gives option for retail licence install of win 10.trying to get system ready for win 11 but this is an obstacle to installation...
  3. Legacy To UEFI BIOS problem

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Legacy To UEFI BIOS problem: I have a DELL Optilex 990 so when I go to my bios I go to Boot Sequence then I switch to UEFI and the Boot Sequence is empty. When I boot up my Device it says no bootable devices found. How do I fix this. Please tell me the file path to Windows Boot Manager because I still...
  4. Legacy or uefi boot?

Legacy or uefi boot?: I tried reinstalling windows again onto my hdd because i moved my linux distro from that hdd onto my main ssd. the ssd booted originally i belive with legacy mode, but with the hdd bootting with the new installi gets stuck in "getting ready" I believe the bios used to be...
  5. Legacy or uefi boot?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Legacy or uefi boot?: I tried reinstalling windows again onto my hdd because i moved my linux distro from that hdd onto my main ssd. the ssd booted originally i belive with legacy mode, but with the hdd bootting with the new installi gets stuck in "getting ready" I believe the bios used to be...
  6. UEFI / Legacy BIOS Mess and Windows Update

in Windows 10 Support
    UEFI / Legacy BIOS Mess and Windows Update: Hi When Windows 10 ran its automatic update I got a message "Windows can't be installed because this PC has an unsupported disk layout for UEFI firmware". I think this is probably my own fault - I remember having boot problems a while ago (can't remember what caused them...
  7. BIOS mode as Legacy or UEFI?

BIOS mode as Legacy or UEFI?: My Windows 10 says its BIOS mode is Legacy with C drive partition as MBR. Is it worth switching to UEFI mode with C drive as GPT partition? Why does it seem so difficult to install to UEFI mode with GPT partition? You do not get an option to choose when you install windows 10...
  8. BIOS / UEFI setup

in Windows 10 Support
    BIOS / UEFI setup: Hi, I have several Dell E6410's here with latest Win 10 1803 update and A17 BIOS. All ok apart from one machine which the power light stays on at shutdown. This particular machine happens to be set up with the boot option set to UEFI whereas the others use Legacy. So I...
  9. EFI, UEFI, Legacy BIOS.......

EFI, UEFI, Legacy BIOS.......: This weekend I will try to do a clean install of Win 10 again, from Win 7. Have to try som new methods to see if I can get my computer running flawlessly with Windows 10. I will use the clean install tutorials from this forum. I hav two options, with or without UEFI...
  10. Help with Legacy BIOS Boot setup and Windows 10 reinstall non-UEFI

Help with Legacy BIOS Boot setup and Windows 10 reinstall non-UEFI: I've been having constant problems with my new Sound BlasterX AE-5 soundcard not being consistently recognized at boot. It seems it is extremely similar to the issue that the older Sound Blaster Z cards had several years ago where they were not recognized on many, but not...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. wht if i boot computer into uefi when it is a legacy boot

2. which to choose bootable usb legacy or uefi

3. went booting in to windows 10 i have 3 boots to choose

4. what to choose boot uefi or csm,
  5. Choosing UEFI or legacy BIOS modes when installing windows 10 from usb,
  6. choose uefi or bios