Windows 10: Choose when updates are installed (feature and quality) options gone

Discus and support Choose when updates are installed (feature and quality) options gone in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi All First up some info: Win 10 Pro (Retail) 2004 OS Build: 19041.329 (If it matters) Experience - Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2202.130.0... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Turbozuki, Jun 26, 2020.

1. Turbozuki Win User

Choose when updates are installed (feature and quality) options gone

Hi All

First up some info:

Win 10 Pro (Retail) 2004 OS Build: 19041.329
    (If it matters) Experience - Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2202.130.0

So I was just looking at this thread (thinking about resurrecting it but decided to start a new one):

The Strange Case of the Missing Pause Feature Update Setting

I believe the above mentioned thread deals with what I am trying to solve and that is to get the Feature and Quality update settings back at Settings > Update & Security > Advanced options as it worked well in earlier versions up until 1903 it seems.

At present I only have the Pause updates for 35 days option.

I ran a search of the Registry for DeferFeatureUpdatesPeriodInDays as the registry entry mentioned in the linked thread does not exist in the location described under 2004 at least.

I found the following:

Choose when updates are installed (feature and quality) options gone [​IMG]

I then went and played about with Group Policy and set the following which ended with the result displayed below:

So it seems that by applying that Group Policy setting it gives the user the result they/I might be after but I am wondering if there is in fact a way of getting the Feature and Quality options to display again at Settings > Update & Security > Advanced options?

What values would I personally need to be changing in Registry Editor AND at Group Policy to get these options displaying again if at all possible?

If any further information is required or any of you guys or gals know that this just isn't possible any more then please let me know.

Thanks heaps.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry - seems this has already been answered thoroughly here:

Enable or Disable Windows Update Automatic Updates in Windows 10

I am taking from that thread that these options cannot be reinstated in Win 10 2004 by any means - why oh why Microsoft do you keep changing things up and removing convenience from the UX? Grrrrrr *Banghead

:)

Turbozuki, Jun 26, 2020
  2. Sig975 Win User

Missing windows update options for either feature updates or quality updates

I seem not to have the windows update options for either feature updates or quality updates on this pc. All I have s an option to delay update installations by up to 35 days. I need the flexibility to install feature updates by up to 365 days and quality
    update by up to 30 days.

Sig975, Jun 26, 2020
  3. tracit99 Win User
    Windows Update - Defer Feature and Quality Updates in Windows 10  

Hi Shawn,

The options to defer updates are missing in Advanced Options for my system. This issue has been discussed some in the 16299.98 thread but so far a solution has not been found. I had checked the registry settings listed above and they match what you show. I have some registry tweaks and I have the managed by organization message but I have removed all tweaks and restarted the system and the defer updates options are still missing. I am also on RP if that makes any difference. I have not done a repair install. Any idea why they have gone missing?

tracit99, Jun 26, 2020
  4. JasonS63 Win User

Windows 10 Feature Updates (1803, 1709, and 1703) not installing but Quality Updates install

I forgot to mention. Other (non-Feature) updates for Windows have installed successfully during this time period. In the last month 5 quality updates and 1 cumulative update have gone without a hitch.

JasonS63, Jun 26, 2020
Thema:

1. Choose when updates are installed (feature and quality) options gone - Similar Threads - Choose updates are

2. optional quality update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    optional quality update: Should I Install it??? or leave it????And what is this ???Thanx https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/optional-quality-update/1bba3355-b701-48ad-98c2-6b9354160715
  3. Is this 'Optional quality update' worth installing?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Is this 'Optional quality update' worth installing?: My Windows 10 installation 20H2 64 bit is up to date but the Settings menu Windows Update offers this so-called quality update: '2021-05 Cumulative Update Preview for Windows 10 Version 20H2 for x64-based Systems (KB5003214)' Some of these updates can take a very long time...
  4. Is this 'Optional quality update' worth installing?

Is this 'Optional quality update' worth installing?: My Windows 10 installation 20H2 64 bit is up to date but the Settings menu Windows Update offers this so-called quality update: '2021-05 Cumulative Update Preview for Windows 10 Version 20H2 for x64-based Systems (KB5003214)' Some of these updates can take a very long time...
  5. "We couldn't install this optional quality update"

"We couldn't install this optional quality update": Just today, Windows Update showed "Optional quality update available". But after pressing "Update" button, and some delay, the error message appeared: We couldn't install this update but you can try again (0x80070541) 2021-03 Cumulative Update for W10 Version 20H2 (KB5001649)...
  6. "We couldn't install this optional quality update"

"We couldn't install this optional quality update": Just today, Windows Update showed "Optional quality update available". But after pressing "Update" button, and some delay, the error message appeared: We couldn't install this update but you can try again (0x80070541) 2021-03 Cumulative Update for W10 Version 20H2 (KB5001649)...
  7. Missing windows update options for either feature updates or quality updates

Missing windows update options for either feature updates or quality updates: I seem not to have the windows update options for either feature updates or quality updates on this pc. All I have s an option to delay update installations by up to 35 days. I need the flexibility to install feature updates by up to 365 days and quality update by up to 30...
  8. choose when to download or install updates?

choose when to download or install updates?: Hi. How can I stop windows 10 updates happening automatically? I want to control when this happens. Thank you, in advance, of any assistance with this :...
  9. When are is option coming back to Choose when Feature updates are installed for Win10 Pro?

When are is option coming back to Choose when Feature updates are installed for Win10 Pro?: I see it was removed on 1903, but on the inside builds is back again for Win10 Pro Used to have the option hold off Feature updates 0-365 days Thanks Gary...
  10. Choose when to install updates?

Choose when to install updates?: I have windows 10 Pro. When I go to check updates, if any are available it will automatically download and Install. Isn't there a way I can set things up so that I can choose when to download and install? 23409