Windows 10: choosing a program to open a program file

Discus and support choosing a program to open a program file in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; why can't I drop and drag a program file in windows 10 and it becomes the default program for that program file? I has worked from windows 95......... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by RoddieHoover, Mar 3, 2020.

1. choosing a program to open a program file

why can't I drop and drag a program file in windows 10 and it becomes the default program for that program file? I has worked from windows 95......

:)

RoddieHoover, Mar 3, 2020
  2. theking2 Win User

Choose Default Program not working

• Right click on file
    • Select Open With | Choose Default Program...
    • select a program from the list.

The selected program is opened with the file form 1)
    • Close the program
    • Double click the file from 1.

The old program is opened.
    It seems that the functionality to choose a default program is not working.

How do I specifiy a default program for a file type using the File Explorer?

theking2, Mar 3, 2020
  3. DCnewbie Win User
    Are my Registry Files all legitimate programs?

Isn't there a web tool whereby I can check if programs listed in my REGISTRY FILES are legitimate programs?

DCnewbie, Mar 3, 2020
  4. choosing a program to open a program file

W7 One click, then choose program?

I used to be able to do it before formatting. Double click on a file of a certain type would bring up the compatible programs (choose compatible program menu), I didn't have a default set. Now it just goes to the default program, and I've tried unchecking "always use this program," but I can't seem to get it.
    Basically I want double click to open up the "Set default program" menu for certain file types rather than just opening with the default.

AngryMerchant, Mar 3, 2020
Thema:

choosing a program to open a program file

1. choosing a program to open a program file - Similar Threads - choosing program open

2. There is an unknown program making logs and making me choose in what program to open them

in Windows 10 Gaming
    There is an unknown program making logs and making me choose in what program to open them: The problem seems to have started after i installed visual studio 2022. Whenever i login into my account i will be asked to choose with what program i want to open this file. I have found this program on startup and the users folder.Is it safe to delete these files?...
  3. There is an unknown program making logs and making me choose in what program to open them

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    There is an unknown program making logs and making me choose in what program to open them: The problem seems to have started after i installed visual studio 2022. Whenever i login into my account i will be asked to choose with what program i want to open this file. I have found this program on startup and the users folder.Is it safe to delete these files?...
  4. Canceling choose a default program

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Canceling choose a default program: [IMG] Hi, I have a question about restoring back the "choose a default app by file type", I accidentally picked a default program which I didn't mean to. And I want go back to where there shouldn't be any default program associate with that file extension, is there any way...
  5. File is open in another program

File is open in another program: I share a folder on my network with firetv. I use it to watch movies on a tv. If I watch a movie then in fire TV close the app I used to watch it. Then using my new upgraded win10 computer I can't move or delete that movie I watched says File is open in another program I...
  6. File is open in another program

in Windows 10 Support
    File is open in another program: I share a folder on my network with firetv. I use it to watch movies on a tv. If I watch a movie then in fire TV close the app I used to watch it. Then using my new upgraded win10 computer I can't move or delete that movie I watched says File is open in another program I...
  7. Unknown program opening open file with program dialogue.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unknown program opening open file with program dialogue.: I keep having this issue every morning when I get on my computer. The open with program dialogue will be open asking what I would like to open *File* with. Said file is unknown *I did not open anything as I was away from the computer* My instinct tells me to click notepad...
  8. OPENING FILES/PROGRAMS

OPENING FILES/PROGRAMS: HI THERE,COULD ANYONE HELP I HAVE LOADS OF FILES AND PROGRAMS I NEED DESPERATLY TO USE BUT DONT KNOW HOW TO OPEN AS ALWAYS SHOWS ERROR CANT OPEN 'EXE' FIES HOW DO I OPEN THEM WHAT DO I NEED TO GET OR WHAT DO I NEED TO DO PLEASE HELP AND THANKS....
  9. Can't choose default program to open files

Can't choose default program to open files: Hello, I have been living with problem for a while. When making any file like: .css, .html, .php, .js and then trying to open them it shows the "How do you want to open this file?" list from where I select the program, for example Sublime Text 3. I select the program, it...
  10. Choose a program to edit pictures

Choose a program to edit pictures: Is there a way to edit the right click button when clicking on a picture. I am often using Snag it to edit pictures. And I would like not to have to dig in to open it with my right click button. If I can move it very close to the top that would be nice. See the picture....