Windows 10: Choosing any app that I want as default in Windows 10

Discus and support Choosing any app that I want as default in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; As of recent updates, I am unable to select any app outside of MS's "suggested apps" as my default app. In my particular case, I am trying to make the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Lizzie Jo PC 11, Oct 21, 2018.

1. Choosing any app that I want as default in Windows 10

As of recent updates, I am unable to select any app outside of MS's "suggested apps" as my default app. In my particular case, I am trying to make the default app for JPG and PNG files Internet Explorer. However, although I am able to select IE by using "Open with... > Choose another program" and selecting IE and ticking the "always use this app" box, next time I open a JPG or PNG file, it will open with Photos, and Photos always remains the default.

There are only a few other options it allows me to choose that actually work, such as MS Paint, but I want IE as my default.

I tried going into "Default apps", but under "Photo Viewer" I'm only given Photos, GIMP, Paint, and Paint 3D as options, as well as "Look for an app in the app store"."

Choose default apps by file type" displays IE, but when I choose it, it either doesn't change, or selects another program that it prefers, depending on which computer I'm using. (I'm having this problem on multiple computers running Windows 10).

I don't really understand "Choose default apps by protocol", but clicking on the ones that are set to Photos don't give me any options other than Photos and the App store.

In "Set Defaults by App", choosing Internet Explorer only presents me with one option, "Manage", and clicking that sends me to "File type and protocol associations" for IE, which I can't find a way to add anything to.

Can someone please help me fix this? Thanks.

:)

Lizzie Jo PC 11, Oct 21, 2018
  2. Argel Obm Win User

Choosing Default Apps & Insider Programme

To resolve your concern, kindly choose the default apps by file type. To do this, follow these steps:

• Click the Windows logo (Start button).
    • Click the gear icon (Settings).
    • Choose System.
    • Select Default apps.
    • Click Choose default apps by file type.
    • Check all of the video file type, and then check if you can change the default app to your preferred application.
    After performing the steps, kindly share with us the result

Argel Obm, Oct 21, 2018
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Oct 21, 2018
  4. puma99dk| Win User

Choosing any app that I want as default in Windows 10

Windows 10 forgets default apps

I have noticed like not 5mins ago that Winamp just got kicked out of my default apps list in Windows 10 Pro.
    I installed this installation not max 3 weeks ago with fresh downloaded Windows 10 Pro using Microsoft Media Creation Tool, is there a way to fix this bcs I using sfc /scannow don't do a lot for me and I have run it before on this installation.

Before u ask, I have fully updated my Windows 10 with all non-insider/beta updates.

The only thing I have disabled is the uac prompt that popup when u need admin for applications to run bcs it's simply annoying.

I don't remember having all these problems with Windows 8.1 Pro when i was using that and I am really thinking about going back so I can have "fully control" over Windows again with like disabling all the admin crap bcs I feel like it's messing more up and makes things less useful in Windows 10 with all these small problems I have and I read a lot of ppl having problems with various things time and time again where they needed to reinstall Win10 over and over to get it to work fully.

Any advice on how I can get Windows 10 to just work as a "daily driver" without all these small annoying things? *Frown Choosing any app that I want as default in Windows 10 :(

puma99dk|, Oct 21, 2018
Thema:

Choosing any app that I want as default in Windows 10

1. Choosing any app that I want as default in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Choosing app default

2. Choose default apps by protocol in registry

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Choose default apps by protocol in registry: HelloI would like to change the default apps by protocol in the registry.These are following protocols that need to be changed in registry- SIP- SIPS- TELWhere are they in the registryRegardsJuan...
  3. I can't choose default apps at all

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't choose default apps at all: I want to set my default browser to Opera, but clicking on the buttons shown does nothing. It also lags my computer. How come? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-choose-default-apps-at-all/23b2295b-48a1-4351-b789-d22aa74f79cb
  4. I can't choose default apps at all

I can't choose default apps at all: I want to set my default browser to Opera, but clicking on the buttons shown does nothing. It also lags my computer. How come? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-choose-default-apps-at-all/23b2295b-48a1-4351-b789-d22aa74f79cb
  5. Windows 10 - Choose default apps by protocol sucks

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 - Choose default apps by protocol sucks: Sorry, but I'm here to complain. I downloaded a certain application which associated a protocol to it. Then I changed the location of the application, and now I'm trying to manually change or delete the old entry to point to the new location of the executable. The new Windows...
  6. App I want to select does not appear in list of apps in choose default apps by type

in Windows 10 Customization
    App I want to select does not appear in list of apps in choose default apps by type: I want my image files to open in Photoshop by default. So under Settings > Choose Default Apps by Type I went, for example to .jpg andc clicked and selected Photoshop 2021 from the list of apps. However, when I go to .png the list of apps only inlcudes Photos, Paint, Paint...
  7. Choosing Default Apps

Choosing Default Apps: I have about 20 or so apps on my computer but only 3 or 4 of them are presented as choices when I try to set one as default. The default I want is installed but it doesn't show up in the SET DEFAULT APPS process. VERY FRUSTRATING....
  8. Choosing any app that I want as default in Windows 10

Choosing any app that I want as default in Windows 10: As of recent updates, I am unable to select any app outside of MS's "suggested apps" as my default app. In my particular case, I am trying to make the default app for JPG and PNG files Internet Explorer. However, although I am able to select IE by using "Open with... > Choose...
  9. Issues Trying to Choose Default Apps

Issues Trying to Choose Default Apps: Hi, As background information, please note that I have Office 2013 installed. Several issues are occurring when I try choose my default apps: 1) Calendar The Calendar app is installed and works, but it is not set as my default. When I click "Choose a default," I...
  10. Choose Default Apps in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Choose Default Apps in Windows 10: How to: Choose Default Apps in Windows 10 How to Choose Default Apps to Open Files with in Windows 10 A default app is the program that Windows uses automatically when you open a particular file type or protocol. The default app you choose will only apply to your...