Windows 10: Choosing between built-in speakers and plugged 3.5mm headphones

Discus and support Choosing between built-in speakers and plugged 3.5mm headphones in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I'm using the latest official version of Win10, build 1903, but as far as I remember, this problem exists for a long time. So, Whenever I plug in my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by LovroSipovac, Jul 7, 2019.

1. Choosing between built-in speakers and plugged 3.5mm headphones

I'm using the latest official version of Win10, build 1903, but as far as I remember, this problem exists for a long time.

So, Whenever I plug in my headphones in 3.5mm jack, it automatically switches to them without any possibility of selecting my laptop built-in speakers instead. The only option to get sound from speakers again is to un-plug the headphones.

The problem is that for the system, the difference is practically undistinguishable. Both when using speakers or headphones the audio device is identical, which is: Speakers (Realtek HD Audio), and there is no visual marking that the sound is outputed through 3.5mm jack.

I want to have my headphones plugged in all the time with the possibility to select speakers or headphones.

How do I do that?

:)

LovroSipovac, Jul 7, 2019
  2. txstoby Win User

Speakers playing when headphones are plugged in

I have an HP laptop with windows 10. When my headphones are plugged in, the speakers are still playing. When I go to sounds, the only device listed is the speakers. How can I silence the speakers when the headphones are plugged in.

txstoby, Jul 7, 2019
  3. Ryan Fra Win User
    No Speakers or Headphones detected

Hi,

This issue may have been caused by a corrupted Audio driver or defective audio port.

To better understand this concern please answer the following questions:

• Are you still able to play music using a built-in speakers?
    • Have you tried using other headphones or external speakers?

We also suggest that you run audio troubleshooter by following these steps:

• Type "troubleshooting" on the search box.
    • Select Troubleshooting on the result.
    • Click View all.
    • Choose Playing Audio then follow the instructions.

If you need further assistance, don't hesitate to post back.

Ryan Fra, Jul 7, 2019
  4. Choosing between built-in speakers and plugged 3.5mm headphones

No headphones or speakers are plugged in error

We appreciate your response. We'd like to confirm if you were able to perform the troubleshooting steps that we suggested in our previous reply. If the same issue persists even after performing those steps, it will be best to create a test user profile.
    Check if you will have the same issue with using your headphones and speakers. This is for us to verify if the issue is isolated with one user profile or with multiple accounts.

To create a test user profile, follow these steps:

• Using Cortana search, type Settings and then hit the Enter key.
    • In the Settings window, select Accounts.
    • Select Family & other people.
    • Choose Add someone else to this PC.
    • Click I don't have this person's sign-in information.
    • Click Add a user without a Microsoft account.
    • Name the user as TEST and then provide a password.

Keep us update us about the result.

Darleen Pen, Jul 7, 2019
Thema:

Choosing between built-in speakers and plugged 3.5mm headphones

1. Choosing between built-in speakers and plugged 3.5mm headphones - Similar Threads - Choosing between built

2. no speaker or headphones are plugged

in Windows 10 Gaming
    no speaker or headphones are plugged: مشكلة في الصوت لايعمل https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/no-speaker-or-headphones-are-plugged/b216d393-e615-4584-a930-662f0a53c7e3
  3. no speakers or headphones are plugged in

in Windows 10 Gaming
    no speakers or headphones are plugged in: I use an ROG GL551 laptop and yesterday the internal speakers stopped working and when I ran the troubleshooter and restarted my computer I got the audio error "no speakers or headphones are plugged in"I went to YouTube and tried almost every fix I could fine, I typed the add...
  4. no speakers or headphones are plugged in

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    no speakers or headphones are plugged in: I use an ROG GL551 laptop and yesterday the internal speakers stopped working and when I ran the troubleshooter and restarted my computer I got the audio error "no speakers or headphones are plugged in"I went to YouTube and tried almost every fix I could fine, I typed the add...
  5. no speakers or headphones are plugged in

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  6. No speakers or headphones are plugged in.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No speakers or headphones are plugged in.: My sound icon has a red x and when I hover on it, it comes up with the message, 'No speakers or headphones are plugged in'. On device manager, I have no sound drivers installed I used to have realtek other than my headphones, for which the sound works for when i connect them....
  7. No Speakers or headphones are plugged in

No Speakers or headphones are plugged in: I Installed Kaspersky and I signed in i restart my pc and now it has an x sign in volume so i uninstalled Kaspersky. but there is still no audio https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/no-speakers-or-headphones-are-plugged-in/c4ca44a3-c112-4d38-8652-9506ae879fc0
  8. "No speakers or headphones are plugged in."

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "No speakers or headphones are plugged in.": Hi there,My device is a 2019 Omen 17 laptop with a NVIDIA Geforce 2060 card and an intel i7.My problem started when I used a 3rd party driver updater CCleaner to update multiple drivers of mine which as a result updated my sound card. This led to a restart and after that, I...
  9. No Speakers and Headphones Are Plugged In

No Speakers and Headphones Are Plugged In: Hi, guys I was playing YT and then the screen was freeze so I decide to press my force restart button on my PC. And now my speakers, microphones, headphones, or any audio devices not detected by my PC. I did some tutorial from google or YT but it doesn't work, like Uninstall...
  10. No Speakers or Headphones are plugged in

No Speakers or Headphones are plugged in: I recently installed win10 on a new clean hard-disk and afterwards found that the sound is not working. I am using ECS manufactured PC With Processor: Intel(R) Core (TM) i5-3330 CPU @ 3.00GHz [ATTACH] I've downloaded the latest Realtek driver and it doesn't show on...